• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Mobile Police Patlabor TV Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Not hard to have seen coming.

Good to see a little gem like this getting back in print.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, finally. I have the entire TV series on VHS and bought a couple of random volumes of the TV series DVDs but never got around to completing it. I just hope they don't use the terrible, terrible, terrible cover artwork of the US DVD releases; using cropped versions of the Japanese LaserDisc covers like the VHS release did would be fine.

Hopefully Maiden Japan will pick up Kimagure Orange Road next.

Last edited by Tenchi on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Saw the article title, was preparing to buy then
Quote:
conjunction with home video distributor Section23 Films

I haven't won the lottery yet, unfortunately.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much better the video quality will be than the Manga release. I don't know if it's gotten a Japanese remastering, but a lot of older series have seemed to get that treatment before a re-release, so I'm hoping for at least a nice, cleaned-up picture.

Also, this may be the right time to list my Patlabor TV box sets on eBay or something, then use the profits to get the blu-ray. Dunno if I feel the gambling spirit, though, and there's some fun in having old editions of titles. Though...at the very least, having the TV series on blu-ray instead of those DVD singles would open up a lot of shelf space...
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised at all with the way they hinted it via the OVA's back cover.

Now to see which dub they got for the two movies when they announce them.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Good news, though obviously mostly expected after the previous licensing announcement involving the OVA. In any case, I'll be glad to finally get a physical copy of the TV series without having to pay inflated prices to resellers.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
I wonder how much better the video quality will be than the Manga release. I don't know if it's gotten a Japanese remastering, but a lot of older series have seemed to get that treatment before a re-release, so I'm hoping for at least a nice, cleaned-up picture.

Also, this may be the right time to list my Patlabor TV box sets on eBay or something, then use the profits to get the blu-ray. Dunno if I feel the gambling spirit, though, and there's some fun in having old editions of titles. Though...at the very least, having the TV series on blu-ray instead of those DVD singles would open up a lot of shelf space...

The Japanese BDs used new HD masters and are a massive jump in quality compared to the horrible Central Park Media DVDs, Manga only released the first two films. It's a night and day difference.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1824098#post1824098
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I have watched the original 7-episodes OVA and movies 1 and 2. I prefer the OVA because the characters do a lot of goofy stuff. The movies were well done (especially movie 2) but found them too tense and serious.

Does anyone knows if this longer TV series is more on par with the OVA, atmosphere-wise, or is it more on the serious side, like the movies? If this long TV series is more like the OVA, I am looking forward to it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, but still good news. Maiden Japan's really movin on up there. Smile

NJ_ wrote:
Not surprised at all with the way they hinted it via the OVA's back cover.

Now to see which dub they got for the two movies when they announce them.

I'm hoping for both. Razz Though for some reason Madman in Australia wasn't allowed to use the Bandai Visual dubs for some reason. If I had to pick one dub, it would definitely be the Bandai dubs (not a Manga UK dub fan...).
Zeguna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this is one of very few shows I will immediately be preordering. Cannot wait to toss my CPM dvds and have a handsome collection of Patlabor Blu-rays. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Does anyone knows if this longer TV series is more on par with the OVA, atmosphere-wise, or is it more on the serious side, like the movies? If this long TV series is more like the OVA, I am looking forward to it.

The TV series is close in tone to the OVAs (slight reboot of the original OVA series), more comedy than drama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I have watched the original 7-episodes OVA and movies 1 and 2. I prefer the OVA because the characters do a lot of goofy stuff. The movies were well done (especially movie 2) but found them too tense and serious.

The TV series will certainly please you. I prefer the movies, but the series is still great. Very goofy.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
WTK got confirmation from Section23 that it's going to be released across 4 sets:

Quote:
I got confirmation via S23. It will be 4 sets released every other month.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
ittoujuu wrote:

The Japanese BDs used new HD masters and are a massive jump in quality compared to the horrible Central Park Media DVDs, Manga only released the first two films. It's a night and day difference.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1824098#post1824098

Wow...night and day indeed! It's like it takes years off the show, with how clean those new masters look.

Also, thanks for clearing up my confusion re: Manga and CPM's Patlabor licenses. It's...been a while since I pulled out those DVDs, haha.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've pre-ordered the OVA on blu-ray, but not sure if it's worth doing the same with the TV series. It might be easier just keeping my Central Park Media set. Still, if the back of the cover that a forumite showed is any indication, it seems Maiden Japan intends to do the movies soon, and that I'll definitely upgrade to blu-ray, although I'll still keep my collectible Bandai Visual box sets. I'm curious to check out the original Manga UK dubs to the movies, but I never once thought the Bandai Visual dubs were as terrible as they were reputed, so hopefully they'll include both.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3