• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - A Quick and Dirty History of Manga in the US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article. Really crystallizes the different personalities behind manga in the U.S.

Quote:
And though there's still tons of manga in public libraries across the US, thanks to the mid-2000s manga boom, there's a lot less on bookstore shelves.

Libraries are how I found manga. I picked up one of Rumiko Takahashi's tiles from VIZ in the 90s. Either one of the Mermaid books or Rumic Theater. And such began the odyssey of trying to have a comic shop know what you were talking about. But thank you VIZ!
Also why I started importing later.

Quote:
What manga has lost in popular, mass-market titles, it's gained in niche and art-comix appeal: smaller companies like Fantagraphics, Drawn & Quarterly, Top Shelf and PictureBox are now releasing beautiful, hardcover editions of manga like The Heart of Thomas, Kitaro, Ax and The Passion of Gengoroh Tagame.

Thanks for reminding me about Tagame. I just pre-ordered it. His work is never ever something I thought would make it over here because I doubt whether people would understand what is behind it too.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, there were more than a few titles on JManga that I wanted to buy, but I didn't simply because I couldn't actually DOWNLOAD them and I knew if the service ever shut down, all the manga that I spent my money on would be gone. And what do you know, I was right! Come on, even the flippin music industry understands this and lets you buy DRM-free MP3's, and if even they can get it, I'm sure manga publishers must be capable of it as well.

Basically, I am willing to pay for a product (even a digital product), but NOT for a "service", with one exception: subscription sites that give you access to everything. I subscribe to Crunchyroll (and Funimation for about 2 months until their God-awful streaming service proved repeatedly it is not worth it) because one monthly fee gets me unlimited access to all of their stuff. That is way different than me paying $ to only have access to one specific episode, only to have it taken down once the license expires or Crunchyroll shuts down. If anyone wants to launch a manga version of Crunchyroll where you pay a monthly fee to have access to their entire library, I'd be down for that.
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Late 1990s: Companies like A.D. Vision, Central Park Media, Manga Entertainment, Streamline Pictures and AnimEigo (who actually started in the late '80s) start to popularize direct-to-video anime releases. Meanwhile, the manga market slowly grows again, and ton of small manga publishers dot the landscape: Antarctic Press, Sun Publishing, CPM Manga, and others.

That should actually say "early 1990's". CPM, ADV, Manga Ent, Streamline, and AnimEigo were big in the early to mid 90's. Also you talk about the late 90's in another spot.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
My compliments to Mr. Thompson for his concise history of manga in America. It was pretty good. I liked it. It may be a niche business these days but the American anime and manga industry can rebound...hopefully.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Quote:
Late 1990s: Companies like A.D. Vision, Central Park Media, Manga Entertainment, Streamline Pictures and AnimEigo (who actually started in the late '80s) start to popularize direct-to-video anime releases. Meanwhile, the manga market slowly grows again, and ton of small manga publishers dot the landscape: Antarctic Press, Sun Publishing, CPM Manga, and others.

That should actually say "early 1990's". CPM, ADV, Manga Ent, Streamline, and AnimEigo were big in the early to mid 90's. Also you talk about the late 90's in another spot.

Yes, that was a typo, sorry!

Actually, Fred Patten emailed me and gave me a whole list of comments & corrections:

1961: Magic Boy, Panda and the Magic Serpent, and Alakazam the Great all came out in America in 1960, not 1961.

1963: The Japanese TV animation shown in America in 1963 were Astro Boy, 8th Man, and Gigantor. Kimba wasn't until 1966.

1973: Richard Kyle founded Graphic Story Bookshop in 1972, not 1973. It changed its name to Wonderworld Books in 1973.

1975: Mark Merlino showed his videotaped episodes of subtitled giant robot TV cartoons at meetings of the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society during 1976, before Mark and Fred started the Cartoon/Fantasy Organization, the first club for anime, in May 1977. Also, the C/FO met in Los Angeles, not San Francisco.

1980: the Japanese manga artists who accompanied Tezuka and Monkey Punch to the 1980 San Diego Comic-Con included Go Nagai, Yumiko Igarashi (hardly "more obscure mangaka") and Shinobu Kaze.

1984: Anime and manga were also showcased at the 1984 World Science Fiction Convention in Los Angeles. The convention brought Yoshiyuki Tomino (Mobile Suit Gundam) from Japan as a special guest.

1985: Harmony Gold's production of Robotech (mentioned in the article) appeared on American TV. An American comic-book adaptation by Comico started in 1985.

1990s: The first wave of American anime specialty video companies all started between 1988 and 1991. Streamline Pictures, founded in 1988, started out distributing 35 m.m. films (Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Twilight of the Cockroaches, Akira) theatrically in 1989 and 1990 before it released its first video tapes in 1991.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Initially Studio Proteus and Viz worked together, but after a disagreement (rumored to have been over who got to translate Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind) Smith went it alone and started to work for other companies.
So who was it that thought it was a good idea to let New World Pictures butcher it by 30 minutes, then English dub it, then call it "Warriors of the Wind" back in '85 then?
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I should mention that Captain America does almost always carry his shield in his left hand and Fury's eye-patch has always been over his left eye.

Like most fans, my first response was petty nitpicking. Joy. Well, blame Tokyopop for such an incredibly minor thing.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
Initially Studio Proteus and Viz worked together, but after a disagreement (rumored to have been over who got to translate Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind) Smith went it alone and started to work for other companies.
So who was it that thought it was a good idea to let New World Pictures butcher it by 30 minutes, then English dub it, then call it "Warriors of the Wind" back in '85 then?

Manga rights, not anime rights. No relation!

(But of course you're joking, since Viz didn't even exist till '87 -_- )
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
A few (more) corrections:

Quote:
1984: Untranslated Japanese shows are becoming increasingly popular in fandom (through fansubs).

(Emphasis added.) According to Robert Woodhead, who claims to have invented fansubs with Roe Adams, the first fansubs were created in 1988.

Quote:
1989: Marvel never translates any other manga.

You're leaving out the abortive Spider-Man Manga and X-men Manga translations, the former of which you actually reviewed in this very column.

Quote:
2004: Toren Smith retires from manga translation. In an interview with The Comics Journal (apparently not online anymore)

It seems that the entire interview was likely never available online, at least not without a subscription to The Comics Journal. The Wayback Machine has the excerpt here:

"2004 - A good year to get out of the manga business?", The Comics Journal #259, April 2004.

Regarding Manga's publication date, etc.: Fred Patten includes it in his "Fifteen Years of Japanese Animation Fandom, 1977–92" (which I want to recommend; included in his Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews, p. 30—the July 1982 entry), though is not diffinitive.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="doc-watson42"]A few (more) corrections:

Quote:
1984: Untranslated Japanese shows are becoming increasingly popular in fandom (through fansubs).

(Emphasis added.) According to Robert Woodhead, who claims to have invented fansubs with Roe Adams, the first fansubs were created in 1988.

There was certainly fansubbing going on in the San Francisco Bay Area as early as 1986. In 1984, though, I think the only the subtitled anime in circulation would have been (unauthorized) videotape copies of those few anime films that had official subtitled 16 or 35mm film prints for foreign screenings, or of TV shows that had aired in Japanese-American markets such as that served by KIKU in Honolulu.

Even these, however, made up a very small part of the tapes American fans were watching--then as now, people wanted to watch what was new and cool, and most of the time it was normal not to expect a translation. It's not like that was an ideal state of affairs, but it would be interesting to know how many fans in 2013 would still be into anime if they suddenly had to watch it without a line-by-line translation, which was the norm for fans throughout the 1970s and 80s.

But at that time there also wasn't so much instant awareness of news among fans (some were already online, but it was generally with local BBS networks), so it's not unreasonable to think the idea also sprang up independently in other parts of the country. At any rate, the admirable thing about AnimEigo was not whether they invented it first, but that they decided to use their combination of technical skills and fan sensibilities to build a legitimate anime business that would benefit both the Japanese and the American sides of the scene.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:

Manga rights, not anime rights. No relation!

(But of course you're joking, since Viz didn't even exist till '87 -_- )
Oh? I didn't know VIZ was translating the manga way before Miyazaki had finished it in '92, and the report doesn't state which media. That was '88 when Smith and VIZ went their seperate ways Wink
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Quote:
1989: Marvel never translates any other manga.

You're leaving out the abortive Spider-Man Manga and X-men Manga translations, the former of which you actually reviewed in this very column.

Ulp!! Yes, you're right! I guess I was thinking "non-Marvel-based manga".... but then again, they translated Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories" too, so I'm also wrong about that. -_-;; Quick and dirty it is!! Basically, though, despite Akira selling fairly well (I believe), Marvel never translated any other major original properties.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
A few (more) corrections:

Quote:

There was certainly fansubbing going on in the San Francisco Bay Area as early as 1986. In 1984, though, I think the only the subtitled anime in circulation would have been (unauthorized) videotape copies of those few anime films that had official subtitled 16 or 35mm film prints for foreign screenings, or of TV shows that had aired in Japanese-American markets such as that served by KIKU in Honolulu.

Even these, however, made up a very small part of the tapes American fans were watching--then as now, people wanted to watch what was new and cool, and most of the time it was normal not to expect a translation. It's not like that was an ideal state of affairs, but it would be interesting to know how many fans in 2013 would still be into anime if they suddenly had to watch it without a line-by-line translation, which was the norm for fans throughout the 1970s and 80s.

This is why I feel very old school sometimes. I was born in the 80s but, one of the local stores had Japanese tapes when I was a teenager. So after I figured out what this Japanese stuff was I ended up getting untranslated videos along with what English releases there were by that time (I was lucky enough to have taken Japanese in middle school.) I never got on the fansub or scanlation bandwagon. Whereas, I think a lot of fans from my generation came to Anime and manga through high profile domestic releases and the internet.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I still remember going to Barnes and Noble in 1999/2000 and reading Sailor Moon.

That's nothing, I remember back in '95 or '96 and finding a copy of "The Complete Anime Guide" in the scant section of graphic novels my Ma & Pa shop I dearly loved have had on the shelf, changed me ever since!

Alexander55 wrote:
2. Incompetence of Japanese Publishers
I've said it in the past, when I had a different account here in ANN and I'm going to say it again; most of them just don't care about this market. Although they "tried" with JManga, the site was too flawed to appease fans of scanlation Manga. For starters, they never allowed you to download the Manga. Then they had some confusing point system no one understood(I was subscribed to them and to this day, I never understood it).

We've heard it before.

Quote:
3. The lack of sufficient Anime series on Public and cable channels
Some of the biggest Cable companies, TV producers, who also come from or work with some of biggest Wall ST fat cats(Viacom, Time Warner, and Disney) have become more economical and signaled Anime out. They cited low-viewership as the cause of it and while I don't deny that considering how accessible broadband internet has became, they mostly removed Anime on their own acord because its far more profitable to develop your own animation than to license one.

Though when you mean "public channels", you really mean PBS in this case (as we tend to refer to non-cable channels as "Broadcast/Terrestrial Television" otherwise, a form of television that has been around since the beginning of the medium and it's free, at least in countries that don't charge a license fee like the US), but I see what you mean there (of course if it had been easier, more anime would've ended up on cable and public television far sooner had the window of opportunity been opened far greater before the mainstream crowd showed up).

Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:

Some drone at Tokuma Shoten I bet (also why New World ended up with "Angel's Egg too)!

Carl Horn wrote:

People in those communities served by a large Asian audience often got in easy thanks to the shows that were either broadcast over UHF or via cable in those days. Those were fun times indeed. Los Angeles had KWHY TV22 playing this stuff I think.

Quote:

It would weed things out a little surely!

By the way Mr. Horn, you might dig this article!

katscradle wrote:
This is why I feel very old school sometimes. I was born in the 80s but, one of the local stores had Japanese tapes when I was a teenager. So after I figured out what this Japanese stuff was I ended up getting untranslated videos along with what English releases there were by that time (I was lucky enough to have taken Japanese in middle school.) I never got on the fansub or scanlation bandwagon. Whereas, I think a lot of fans from my generation came to Anime and manga through high profile domestic releases and the internet.

For me, simply hearing of a local comic book shop that had an ad that proclaimed "JAPANESE ANIMATION" in bold lettering superimposed over a shot of planet earth was enough to peak my interest in this unknown dimension I wasn't aware of before.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Great overview! I appreciate you working some history of American manga, Amerimanga, OEL manga, or whatever you want to call it in there as well. I'm surprised you didn't mention the creation of American comics based on manga and anime (such as DC's horrible "Robotech: Defenders" comics, or Adam Warren's Dirty Pair and Bubblegum Crisis books). Also, since there are a few shoutouts to "Ninja High School," I feel obligated to give one to Fred Perry, whose series "Gold Digger" is by far the longest-running OEL manga and still going strong.

Another small correction I didn't see mentioned...

Quote:
Mixxzine had a much better price-per-page-count (248 pages for $4.95 instead of Manga Vizion's 128 pages)

Manga Vizion was shorter than 128 pages. In the early days when it had 4 features it was 96 pages, and later when it only had 3 features it was frequently only 80 pages. Great magazine, though. I especially loved the letter column, which featured a lot of entries from someone who may or may not be the author this post. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3