• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alliance Atlantis & Ghibli on DVD...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:31 pm Reply with quote
In Canada, while Disney itself distributes films under the "Walt Disney", "Touchstone" & "Buena Vista" labels on DVD, some, though not all, Miramax films, for some reason, are distributed by Alliance Atlantis (though both the Clerks movie and animated TV set DVDs were sold in Canada under the "Miramax" label). However, while the outside packaging of disks like Princess Mononoke was under the Alliance Atlantis label, the disks themselves appeared to have been manufactured by Miramax. But not anymore. This week my brother bought Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, a Miramax film, on DVD and this time not only is the packaging Alliance Atlantis, but the disks themselves carry the Alliance Atlantis label. While the J&SBSB DVDs seem to be identical in quality and features to the American disks, judging from the list of features found at DVDPlanet (the American disks have French audio too), I have to admit that I am just a tad concerned at the ramifications this may have for future Ghibli DVDs distributed in the United States, whenever they finally get around to it, by Miramax as opposed to Buena Vista(Spirited Away maybe, probably Porco Rosso, Whispers of the Heart (my second favourite Ghibli film after Kiki's Delivery Service), and Only Yesterday). I'm about 90% confident that, even if the disks do say "Alliance Atlantis" instead of "Miramax", they'll be otherwise identical to the American disks, but 90% confident is not the same as 100% confident. I just want to be sure that there is a 0% chance that the Ghibli DVDs distributed in Canada by Alliance Atlantis will be inferior to the American disks, otherwise I may just order them online.

Do any other Canadians here share my concerns?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1