• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
i was told about a convention in NYC the BAAF but ......

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celestial_Jade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
i can't find any information on it...

i work in suncoast.. which is a video store and we have an anime section.. and everytime someone comes in i usually have a convo with them.. i talked to a mother and her daughters and she told me that there was an upcoming anime convention for BAAF .. but the website says there is nothing... can anyone help me?!? i really wanna go to one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, if the people you talk to have access to a time machine, sure, BAAF's coming up. The last Big Apple Anime Fest was held in 2003. Since then, the only anime convention in the NYC area has been Anime Next, in the early summer in Northern NJ, although OnnaFest 2005 is coming up October 8-10 in Newark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Celestial_Jade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
*tear* thank you ... i just wish they would have another one in NYC ... hopefully i can go to one in Jersey if there aren't any in NYC.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't BAAF shut down because of some Republican Convention bullcrap or something?
echocharlie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Wasn't BAAF shut down because of some Republican Convention bullcrap or something?

They cancelled the event in 2004 citing the Republican National Convention as the reason. It's unknown why they shut it down in 2005 or whether there will be any events in the future.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
That's bullcrap. Why was this Republican Convention garbage to go on? BAAF was there first, let these idiots go somewhere else, like in some guy's garage or something. Don't shut down someone else's better con because the George Washington's great-great grandson can't come another day, or whatever crap reason they made up.
Celestial_Jade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Sad well that stinks i really wanna go to one of these things.. eventually... hopefully they will have one in NY soon
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ya know, taking the PATH out to Newark for Onna is no more difficult than taking a subway train out to Brooklyn or whatever - it's only twenty minutes from either 34th Street or downtown, and the trains run 24/7!
echocharlie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Same with AnimeNEXT, you can jump on a bus or hail a cab in Times Square and be at the convention in 15 minutes. There are good options outside of NYC, so you should take advantage of them.
echocharlie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
That's bullcrap. Why was this Republican Convention garbage to go on? BAAF was there first, let these idiots go somewhere else, like in some guy's garage or something. Don't shut down someone else's better con because the George Washington's great-great grandson can't come another day, or whatever crap reason they made up.

You're right that BAAF was there first. I think they had an agreement with the Marriott already to have it held there in 2004. They made a strategic decision not to do it because Times Square would be flooded with people there for the RNC. Not sure what's up with '05 though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1