• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Hope some one eventually does another relicense ( alongs that it isn't Media Blasters and/or Section 23 ) of the series and gives the series a better dub as well as convincing Toei to license Stars.

Trust me, it being sub-only would be the least of the anime's problems if Section23 was to relicense it. If you're not aware, their original box set releases of the first season & R were horrible and not just because of bad video masters. Mad
kamui85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
Loved the article! I think its the first time I read one because it featured a story very dear to me and it made it justice.
midnightshinigami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
This article makes me so happy. I remember getting up early back in 1995 to watch Sailor Moon before going off to school. I had those ugly dolls (which I wish I kept because they're worth a little money in the collecting community), the manga (only vol 11 and SuperS 2 and 3 survived), the rpg toys, pens, the elusive Saturn doll which I got for christmas when it was first released (I still have it too! My mom had to import from Canada)...etc! Sailor Moon sadly wasn't my first anime (Project Ako was), but it's the one I still probably love the most. I've spent so much money importing my Sailor Starlight dolls and such x.x

I do hope they release the manga. It's a bit more mature than the anime and I never got to finish reading it. I'd love to recollect it. I'd love the anime to be reshown too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cynicat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I started, very doubtful, with the DIC Sailor Moon DVDs (yes, I got involved a lot later than most of you!). To my surprise, I enjoyed them, despite everything DIC tried to do to ruin them, including the poor transfers.

Watched all 14 of the original DVDs, and started exploring further - even though it meant buying the DVDs overseas (I'm not in the US). Found the movies first, and watched them out of order. Then the S and Super S series. Could not stand the English dub voice for Usagi in the later series (sounded middle-aged), so I switched to watching the subs - I think this was the first series I was in subtitle form by choice.

When they released the sub-only uncensored versions (the purple box sets) of the first two series I was fascinated - I hadn't realised how many cuts had been made, including cutting the entire episode where the boys flip the teacher's skirt.

I take a very strong stand on only watching anime I can buy, so it was a very long time before I could bring myself to watch Stars - I guess I finally admitted that there was no other way to see it. If it ever does come out in a legal English version I'll be keen to buy it (I still feel guilty about watching the fansubs).

It may sound silly, but I didn't realise there was a manga series. I'm grateful to Jason for making me aware of it, and more than a little peeved that I can't buy it Sad Fingers crossed that they release it again.
kenkena0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey what about Claymore that's also a very feministic manga too. Confused
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
giapet wrote:
* IIRC, in the manga the Sailor Stars were women who dressed as men as their idol performer shtick, but in the anime they were originally women whose human/non-scout forms were physically male.

Yup, and when Takeuchi heard about the guy turning into girl thing in the anime, she was understandably peeved at the studio.

Not to mentioned that because of that alone prevented Sailor Stars from being licensed in the US.

I don't blame her for being pissed off but it did make one hell of a twist.

can't fault them for tryin something new to keep the series interesting, can't they?

Oh yes we can! If an American company pulled up such a stunt, imagine the fan backlash fury would be. Why the double standard? Remember Zoycite? Laughing

Of course I remember the senario with that character .
I asked that same question at a sailor moon panel in anime next 2006 cause i did not like that change either, they said it was necessary.

they ( Toei ) had to make Zoycite a female in the anime cause the backlash may have been bad with fans of the manga , BUT it would have been worse with parental advocates and there would be no way that any TV company would show that series either if it was EXACT like in the manga.

Which was the same reason why they made Uranus and Neptune cousins instead as lesbian lovers for the S and Super S series.

NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Hope some one eventually does another relicense ( alongs that it isn't Media Blasters and/or Section 23 ) of the series and gives the series a better dub as well as convincing Toei to license Stars.

Trust me, it being sub-only would be the least of the anime's problems if Section23 was to relicense it. If you're not aware, their original box set releases of the first season & R were horrible and not just because of bad video masters. Mad

Uh Hello. Of course I know that.

That is why i said in the brackets, " Alongs that it's NOT Media Blasters and / or Section 23 " cause i know those two companies would give it the sub only treatment.
And it would be bad for me since I'm a dub only person.

Dont get me wrong. Just like with Knights of the Zodiac ( Saint Seiya ) I have no problem with DIC's version of season 1 as well as R. I still even had their VHS videos when ADV had the license as well as Pioneer's VHS videos of the movies too , but it would have been nice if it was in the original uncut dub.

Still dont get how Saint Seiya and Macross a.k.a Robotech got an uncut dub release but not this series. Definitely bites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Uh Hello. Of course I know that.

That is why i said in the brackets, " Alongs that it's NOT Media Blasters and / or Section 23 " cause i know those two companies would give it the sub only treatment.
And it would be bad for me since I'm a dub only person.

It would be bad for sub fans as well as far as Section23 is concerned because their sub translations for the first season & R were known for being the worst when compared to Pioneer's sub translations of S, SuperS & the movies (which had their own share of mistakes).
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Let's hope that wasn't the Saban Moon potential version. Laughing

I want my 4:30 seconds of life back you sick person.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Ah, one of the big trifecta of 90s anime in America, how could I forget. The thing that bothered me when I first saw the Sailor Moon anime wasn't that girls were the main demographic, that there wasn't any musclebound fighting shenanigans, or anything else like that. It was "Why is this girl such an IDIOT!!!" It completely perplexed me that some blonde ditz could be superhero material. I thought it was so stupid, yet I couldn't stop watching it (just like the original Dragon Ball).

Taped most of the series when it was on TV, got the R movie on VHS and still have a bunch of single issues of the manga. Yeah, I was definitely a fan back then. Takeuchi was one of the first shojo artists who's work I ever saw so I fell in love at first sight, inspired me to create my own characters too.

Now here's the REAL shame whenever I think about the Sailor Moon manga. Takeuchi no longer does any big manga projects, works on a few illustration jobs (maybe none at all anymore) and her husband, the laziest comic artist ever, is the one who is still working. That's not fair to me.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
I totally loved this, thanks so much for highlighting THE shoujo title of my generation. It's hard for guys to understand the significance of something so generic and episodic as Sailor Moon to us girls, but take into consideration this:

I can remember the first time I ever saw Sailor Moon. I was 8 years old, on Christmas Vacation visiting family upstate, and there was this awesome episode on about some girl who could change into a super hero, fighting some evil ancient water demon that turned into an awesome ghost story in the end with a happy, romantic ending. I didn't see another Sailor Moon episode until at least three years later (Sailor Moon didn't air on any of the channels we got in Key West at the time) but when we later moved up north I rediscovered it and automatically reconnected it with the evil water sprite episode.

Not a lot of people can say they remember a lot of things from when they were 8, but when a girl's only tv options are things like My Little Pony, and your only role model is a damn Barbie doll, you find there's not much out there for a little girl that makes them feel like they can do anything a boy can do, or that they can even kick butt to begin with. Sailor Moon made little girls feel strong, that they could save the world, AND that they could still be a girl while doing so. What was even better I think was how they portrayed the girl's friendship. Shonen manga doesn't usually focus so heavily on relationships (though Naruto is making me think otherwise) but Sailor Moon taught to always value your friends. You could have fights, you could disagree, an a guy could come in between you, hell - you could even get killed supporting your friend, but when it all came down to it nothing else mattered but that friend and being there for them. That's what made Sailor Moon and the other Sailor Senshi invincible, not all their weird space powers. It's the emotional, mental stuff that makes a girl strong in a man's world, not physical strength.

Then there's the whole love conquers all, and understanding and also loving your enemy (more stuff that's making me think of Naruto. Is this stuff common now in shonen manga?). It was stuff like that that still makes certain final boss scenes (Galaxia and Nehelenia) stand out in my mind to this day, 10+ years later.

And let's again not forget about the whole girl role model thing. I found myself in a comic book store in early middle school, trying to figure out what I wanted to try out in their kick butt female selection where there below Laura Croft, Magdalena, and Wonder Woman was the simple art of big eyed, skinny middle school age Usagi Tuskino. It's thanks to that comic I'm now pursuing a career in illustration. If I could make something as inspiring as Sailor Moon one day, I'd die happy.

I'm 25 now and starting to think about kids not to far down the line, and if I have a little girl I hope there's a show and comic as inspirational for her as Sailor Moon was for me.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:02 am Reply with quote
kenkena0 wrote:

Yeah, but it's a shonen manga. Wink

Actually, there are quite a few feminist shojo manga, but not so many feminist magical girl shojo manga. At least not as much as Sailor Moon.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Ah, one of the big trifecta of 90s anime in America, how could I forget. The thing that bothered me when I first saw the Sailor Moon anime wasn't that girls were the main demographic, that there wasn't any musclebound fighting shenanigans, or anything else like that. It was "Why is this girl such an IDIOT!!!" It completely perplexed me that some blonde ditz could be superhero material. I thought it was so stupid, yet I couldn't stop watching it (just like the original Dragon Ball).

Actually, now that you mention it, most shonen heroes are totally dumb too (I mean, there are exceptions like Zatch Bell and Death Note, but the majority of shonen manga heroes aren't exactly genius material).
LinaLoN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Here, here! Well said JT! I have been wondering about the Sailor Moon manga thing myself the past couple of months. I have recently gotten back into Sailor Moon because of lack of good new animes/mangas out there and when my life takes bad turns I seek it out as comfort. I hadn't had the pleasure of reading much of the english translated mangas except the Sailor Stars season and by then they were already scarse. Same issue with the Slayers english translated novels... darn Tokyopop! Anyway... I hope some USA english publisher out there will give Sailor Moon a second chance and heck even any anime liscencing company to give Sailor Moon Stars a chance to be released subbed to accompany a legal release of the entire series. Yeah I release the english dub was kinda um... inferior (to put it lightly) compared to the Japanese but it did bring Sailor Moon to attention to alot of girls and I'll always be grateful for that. But alas I think republished and released Sailor Moon is a distant dream. This is one time I hope I'm proven wrong.

BTW you are NOT the only guy who likes Sailor Moon and no... don't have to be gay either. The storylines and characters are what draws people in. The messages of love and not given up hope are essential in ANY manga or anime story, Shonnen or Shoujo alike. There is also always some sort of love interest/story. Always a struggle for survival or well-being and always some sort of creature/animal/mascot.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
DTJB wrote:

Actually, now that you mention it, most shonen heroes are totally dumb too (I mean, there are exceptions like Zatch Bell and Death Note, but the majority of shonen manga heroes aren't exactly genius material).
Indeed the whole premise of 99% of shounen is the milqtoast loser suddenly gaining powers, strength, harums, etc then going on a life adventure dealing with any of that, in a rather clumsey, klutzy way pulling out the winning strike at just the right moment, or some other even more powerful being, event, energy saving his/her sorry arse at the same moment only to become that loser's passionate lover to which he/she is totally oblivious to due to the pandemic of amnesia and autism in that universe. Sailor Moon was the only show that seemed to somehow make that entertaining throught out which to me made it even more unique.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
kenkena0 wrote:

Yeah, but it's a shonen manga. Wink

Actually, there are quite a few feminist shojo manga, but not so many feminist magical girl shojo manga. At least not as much as Sailor Moon.

I'm not sure it's accurate to say SM is a feminist magical girl shojo manga. It sure never struck me as feminist back in the day. It's truly female friendly, for sure, unlike most magical girls that have been made since CCS (which pandered to male otaku), but it's not really "feminist".

LinaLoN wrote:
BTW you are NOT the only guy who likes Sailor Moon and no... don't have to be gay either. The storylines and characters are what draws people in.

My god. Do some people still buy into this ancient stereotype of guys liking shojo (and Sailor Moon) makes them gay? Every once in a while I still come across people on anime forums who get into a fuss over what anime they like watching somehow reflecting on their sexuality. People, if you're really gay you'd get turned on by the same sex, not because you're watching Sailor Moon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6