• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
^
No-one has a right to buy Anime. It's one thing to express frustration a time or two, it's quite another to incessantly whinge in every single AoA-related thread. If you aren't a well-off collector then you aren't the customer AoA is wanting to cater to. Simple as that.

And I think AoA's continuing success puts to rest your claim that they have their heads in the sand.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
At any rate, their pricing practices for their domestic releases are irrelevant since this is an import(and thus would never reflect domestic market prices even if AoA sold everything for less than Funi does). And with the former both irrelevant and banned, there's not much negative to say except wondering about why it's so much cheaper than getting it from Japan with EMS.
DeathShrike
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
No-one has a right to buy Anime. It's one thing to express frustration a time or two, it's quite another to incessantly whinge in every single AoA-related thread. If you aren't a well-off collector then you aren't the customer AoA is wanting to cater to. Simple as that.

And I think AoA's continuing success puts to rest your claim that they have their heads in the sand.

Who said anything about rights? Can't you feel sympathy for someone who's sad that they can't pay 700 dollars for the shows they like? Christ, the internet.

Also, who says AoA has continuing success?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
DeathShrike wrote:
Who said anything about rights? Can't you feel sympathy for someone who's sad that they can't pay 700 dollars for the shows they like? Christ, the internet.

No, I don't feel sympathy for you people.

Firstly, because that's like feeling sorry for someone who can't buy a rolex watch. Can't afford a luxury item that is completely discretionary? Too bad, suck it up.

Secondly, if you want to watch the show you don't need to get this release. The DVDs are still perfectly watchable, and there may even be a streaming option available.

Thirdly, you people complain too much. I once felt sympathy for you lot, but your constant whining for every single release has led me to believe that you just don't deserve sympathy. Get a grip. You know by now what to expect from AoA, and yet you continue to gripe about them. You continue to demand American prices for Japanese products that are released at the same time in America as in Japan. That's patently dumb, yet no matter how many times it is explained to you you still harp on about the price.

DeathShrike wrote:

AoA are still around and still releasing stuff, so they must be doing something right. They are certainly not sick and feeble like Media Blasters.

If you have evidence that they aren't doing well then by all means, share it with the class. But you don't. You only have your wish that AoA will go under. But it's been over two years since they released Garden of Sinners and they've shown no signs of slowing down. It may still be early days but their business model has yet to crumble from underneath them.
DeathShrike
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
No, I don't feel sympathy for you people.

Ah... "you people".

I must admit, in all the forums for products, fandoms, etc. I've ever been to, I have NEVER encounted this attitude before. Even in the Blu-ray forums, where collector's items and ridiculously over-priced baubles are commonplace, I have never seen such disdain for those who couldn't afford art. Is it symptomatic of Anime fandom in particular, I wonder?

Last edited by DeathShrike on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
DeathShrike wrote:

You mean other than the fact they are now picking up pretty much every significant Aniplex title in recent seasons? If they weren't doing well, they would be grabbing LESS titles to sell directly, and instead just deal with middlemen.
DeathShrike
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DeathShrike wrote:

You mean other than the fact they are now picking up pretty much every significant Aniplex title in recent seasons? If they weren't doing well, they would be grabbing LESS titles to sell directly, and instead just deal with middlemen.

That's fair, but I was genuinely asking not in a rhetorical way. I can see why it came off that way. I have no idea how well Aniplex of America does, and am curious if this pays off for them. I paid I think 90 dollars for their Baccano! collection, which is probably the most I've ever paid for an in print series. If we're talking OOP, I don't even want to think about how much I paid for that AnimEigo Macross box set. Shudder.

I already have the Anime Legends set for this show, so I'm personally not seriously bothered, as much I would love to have the BD. I am much more bothered by people villifying those who are upset by huge pricetags for the things they love. No need to be nasty.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Except you're treating it out of context, which is that ANY thread involving AoA is apt to generate a shitstorm about their prices; it gets a little old after a while. They're not changing, so just learn to live with it and leave the rest of us in peace.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
DeathShrike wrote:
I am much more bothered by people villifying those who are upset by huge pricetags for the things they love. No need to be nasty.

I don't vilify those who can't afford AoA releases and are sad about it. I mean, I myself cannot afford the Fate/ZERO boxsets and am waiting for a cheaper Australasian release. But I don't bitch about it, do I. No. Instead, I suck it up and move on. However, I do look down on those people who seem to think it is their god-given right to purchase luxury items at low prices, and who soapbox against the pricing (and AoA in general) every chance they get.

Also, you clearly have missed all the times when haters have vilified anyone who either defends AoA or who says they'll buy the releases. There's a real petty but mean-spirited group of people who despise those who can afford such releases. It's one thing to regret that you cannot afford to buy something, it's quite another to then be verbally abusive towards those who can afford it.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DeathShrike wrote:
I must admit, in all the forums for products, fandoms, etc. I've ever been to, I have NEVER encounted this attitude before. Even in the Blu-ray forums, where collector's items and ridiculously over-priced baubles are commonplace, I have never seen such disdain for those who couldn't afford art. Is it symptomatic of Anime fandom in particular, I wonder?

I agree with Polycell, its more an allergic reaction to the constant harping on this topic on these forums whenever AoA has a release. A small group of people rehashing the exact same argument each and every time there is an AoA premium price release was already old at the fourth rehash.

And some of them will always make some loose claim about the anime economy, and then this being ANN that will provoke a response to "set them straight", which will also be the same thing said numerous times before, so is no more informative.
Gambeno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I have bought the KnK, bakemonogatari, Oriemo, Drrr!! and Fate/Zero box sets. Do I wish they were cheaper for myself and others? Absolutely! Do I complain and verbally abuse people who can afford such items. No. I wish I could get a lot of things cheaper but this isn't a charity and its obviously in demand and working if people are buying. All you can do is save up, or not buy it. it's simple really. I mean, I'm not a millionaire I just save my money and buy what I can and can't afford.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I've gotten Bakemono/Nisemonogatari, Oreimo, Madoka Magica and the Fate/Zero box sets myself. Also plan to upgrade my dvd to blu ray eventually for Baccano. Of course we want them to be cheaper. I'm with Gambeno in that it seems weird to have people berating each other over this though. For all the whining about prices, there are at least as many whining about defending it each time.
You can't really use the excuse that someone is verbally abusing you as justification to do it back. You're kind of just sinking to their level then. In which case, how does this make it better? Also, you're not exactly sucking it up if you're replying to every person who whines about the prices Smile

My only real problem with the sets are the fact that I still find errors in spelling/grammar sometimes. It's one thing in a set from say...Funimation. It's another in a deluxe boxset that costs 5x the price. We tend to be a little pickier as the price goes up, though I think that's fair imo. (Not saying funimation really has that problem, as I haven't really noticed errors in their releases...of the ones I've purchased).

In any case I'm still on the fence about the Gurren Lagann set (the blu ray, no real reason for me to upgrade from dvd to dvd Very Happy). Thinking back on it now, I'm not sure if they showed us the blu ray version at Sakura-con (a picture of the set I mean). I do remember the DVD, which looked nice enough.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann came as a body blow, because it is not a new series. I already have the DVD set for the TV series, and I would have liked to have gotten it on BD. Could care less for the movies, they didn't get good reviews.

I don't begrudge AoA making money off the hard core collectors or those who really must own everything Gurren Lagann. I mean if you want to pay 700 dollars (or whatever sale price) for a box set that contains the moon and all the stars, more power to you. You are really helping the anime industry there.

I splurged for PMMM LE's, because I really loved the series. But it was a costly expense. It was nice that there was a lower priced option for those who didn't want the LE's. They haven't done this for Fate/Zero or for Gurren Lagann (talking about the BD's).

I am not mad at those who spend a fortune for their favorite series. It is not your fault AoA is doing things this way, despite what others have said. I really believe AoA just doesn't give a damn.

Sad thing is these titles will be locked up by AoA for years. So I feel the pain for those who simply cannot afford AoA's exorbitant prices. When we see the shelves of our fellow anime fans, they are not just buying a few anime a year, but lots of anime. AoA can milk the fandom all they want, but they need to throw a bone to the rest of us too. Otherwise, in the end, they may be making a profit for themselves, but they will be hurting the industry as a whole here in the west.

If AoA does the same thing with the other new shows that have come out and that they control, they will just push the people that want to own the DVD's and BD's, into the laps of the fansubbers.

Thankfully Funimation and Sentai, seem to be doing good. But fear keeps the fansub community thriving. If other Japanese companies follow AoA's example, nothing good will come of it for the R1 industry.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
AoA can milk the fandom all they want, but they need to throw a bone to the rest of us too. Otherwise, in the end, they may be making a profit for themselves, but they will be hurting the industry as a whole here in the west.

AoA doesn't "need" to do anything except make a profit for their parent company. And they're not milking the fandom, they are offering goods at a price and people are willingly buying said goods at said price. That's perfectly legal, perfectly respectable and perfectly normal commerce. That's just capitalism working as intended; allowing sellers and buyers the chance to exchange goods for currency.

While I and everyone else would like to see more homegrown releases from AoA - cheap, bare-bones, and (of course) delayed - that's not their business model. That's not whom they target. Sure, it means that if you want anything that Aniplex have rights to it ain't going to be cheap. But you know, region-free Blu-Ray and DVD players are things that exist.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 am Reply with quote
They don't need to be cheap or bare bones, just decently priced.

Nothing you said is wrong.

But if they are going to tie up popular series, using them only for hard core collections, with nothing for the regular consumer. Then they are going to make a market for the fansub community.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24