• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh Lead Sword Art Online Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

From spirited (and rather annoying) Gaige to the ultimate Waifu. How the mighty have fallen Sad Rolling Eyes

but what if this is a role she wanted to play?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
LovelyUchuujin98 wrote:
The dub is probably going to ruin the show completely

You mean further than it already is?
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
LovelyUchuujin98 wrote:

Any proof that you think it'll be terrible?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
well i guess yep Nothing Is The Same Anymore with that casting yea wonder matter full crossover texas-cal dubbing anime?

really give wonder dub will sound like in it?
Luck0fTheDuck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
AHHHH YEAH Cherami's work is great, can't wait to see how she does!
LovelyUchuujin98

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
LovelyUchuujin98 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
LovelyUchuujin98 wrote:

uh, how?? You haven't heard the dub. Also it's not like Japan is perfect when they dub our stuff too.

Well, personally I'm not a fan of English dubs. Also the casting for the leads seem very odd.

Well Japanese dub has share of not good voice acting, if you don't know Japanese then how can you tell if the Japanese voice is good or not. As I said, bad voice acting exist in Japanese language too (ie: Beast Wars, and Modern Warfare 2 JPN dub are an example). Also a lot of well-known seiyu do dub on our stuff too, wouldn't you want to hear Japanese dub of our stuff because I would.

I do agree with you that Japanese does have it's share of bad voice acting. I just personally felt that shows that I've watched the dub and sub of, the sub was way way better. I do understand that when you dub stuff in English from Japanese you only have so much you can work with. I do enjoy some dubs though if they are well done. Some shows I actually enjoyed the dub more than the sub. I mostly just can't picture Cherami Leigh dubbing for Haruka Tomatsu. I feel like she would have been a better fit for Liz or Suguha.

I really hope the dub turns out good because I did enjoy the original sub. I'm skeptical whether it will be because most of the recent shows I saw the dub of just didn't have the right feel for me. The newer dubs I just can't really get into like I did for the original Japanese.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

From spirited (and rather annoying) Gaige to the ultimate Waifu. How the mighty have fallen Sad Rolling Eyes

but what if this is a role she wanted to play?
That's irrelevant. It is still a huge step down to go from voicing true characters to giving some semblance of life to a fetishistic "cardboard cutout". If she wanted to play the character for reasons besides getting paid/furthering her career then that's her prerogative but I will never understand it as I can't imagine anyone wanting to be Asuna. Be with her, ahem, sure, I can understand that though it appeals not to me. In fact, if she were to honestly divulge that there had been something more than paying the bills or bolstering her "resume" behind her decision to voice Asuna then I would hold out hope as long as possible that she did it on false pretense, that Bang/Zoom (et al) lied to her about the nature of Asuna.

I have to agree with the other posters: there were roles in the SAO more suited for Cherami's "typecast", roles that actually came closer to being characters as opposed to Asuna, the"Waifu's waifu", the most pathetic, static & lifeless piece of fetish bait I can recall ever seeing in anime.

Maybe Cherami will make Asuna less horrendous to experience. It would take a Stephen Foster level rewrite to make her into a real character (as he did with Orphen) but it could be done. Naturally I don't expect that it will be done.

Perhaps we'll get some hilarious extras with great outtakes fueled by the cast's disdain for Asuna? Of course as they're Bang/Zoom extras they won't be on the DVD/BD and will only appear at con panels but hey, that's something and I'm so desperately searching for a silver lining in all this.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
well, she has a facebook page, ask her
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's irrelevant. It is still a huge step down to go from voicing true characters to giving some semblance of life to a fetishistic "cardboard cutout".

I love how you say this when she played Yoshika from god damn Strike Witches, who is probably someone you'd consider to be even more of a "fetishistic cardboard cutout" than Asuna (though Yoshika isn't).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well, she has a facebook page, ask her
The odds of getting an honest answer there are nil. Same as asking her at a con. Even if she does think that Asuna is the most execrable character that anyone has ever had to voice, that even a bit character in some obscure hentai title had more soul and class, I seriously doubt that she'd express such a view. That'd be biting the hand that feeds her, so to speak, though it would also be a move as classless as Asuna herself (though it would take courage and truthfulness that Asuna could never muster).

I anticipate a rote response to any such inquiry, and the rote response that I anticipate will make it harder for me to hold out the hope that I'm just barely now clinging to. So no, I shan't do that. Not at this juncture, anyhow as my repulsion is too great right now to word the query in what would pass for being civilized.

I'll wait for the eventual outtakes. They were rather decent for Madoka Magicka, after all. From those I might be able to find a more honest answer.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
That's irrelevant. It is still a huge step down to go from voicing true characters to giving some semblance of life to a fetishistic "cardboard cutout".

I love how you say this when she played Yoshika from god damn Strike Witches, who is probably someone you'd consider to be even more of a "fetishistic cardboard cutout" than Asuna (though Yoshika isn't).
But I haven't said that, and if you can believe it, wasn't planning on saying it. So why bring it up?
falori

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I think Cherami will be great, not so sure about Bryce though. He's not bad but I just can't see his voice with the character.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
So it's easier for you to accept that she had absolutely no idea what she was getting herself into and will soon regret being chosen for this role soon after recording and there is no possible way she might actually like the show and hoped she would be able to voice Asuna one day?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
For the record, Cherami mentioned on Facebook that she's looking forward to be working on the show. Smile Whether it's an honest answer or not is up to you, but that's what she said.

She has also most definitely worked on more shallow characters in shows in the past (Strike Witches and the first Dragon Ball movie come to mind).
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
For the record, Cherami mentioned on Facebook that she's looking forward to be working on the show. Smile Whether it's an honest answer or not is up to you, but that's what she said.

She has also most definitely worked on more shallow characters in the past (Strike Witches comes to mind).
That's not an answer to the question per se. Effectively she said "I'm looking forward to getting paid and furthering my resume." She did not directly and definitively comment on her actual thoughts concerning the "character" of Asuna, at least not in what you have relayed; what she said does not shed any light on whether or not she finds the demure doormat that is Asuna to be repugnant.

Cherami has voiced shallow characters before, sure. However those characters--key word--were worlds above Asuna who is much closer to being a macguffin, a macguffin that has disturbingly high appeal to a certain, apparently large, subset of anime fans in Japan, than a bona fide character. I saw the whole horrid experience of the show and Asuna was a much more of a thing than a person.
Quote:

So it's easier for you to accept that she had absolutely no idea what she was getting herself into and will soon regret being chosen for this role soon after recording and there is no possible way she might actually like the show and hoped she would be able to voice Asuna one day?
Close, but no cigar. I'm also not sure that you worded what I have quoted to convey what you intended it to as you say, definitively & without attributing it to what you (would mistakenly) believe to be what I am "accepting", therein that there is no possible way that Cherami could like SAO or hope that she could voice Asuna. That bit is clearly false, though I almost wish it weren't.

I'd like to believe that I expressed that I hope that Cherami either wanted Asuna solely for mercenary & career advancement reasons and considered the "gag factor" of Asuna to be irrelevant (which is, again, her prerogative but I'd say it's a bit tragic) or that she wanted those 2 things but also was duped by being told that Asuna was what she is not:a genuine character.

I'm conflicted: I like Cherami's previous work and would like for her to continue voicing in anime and getting paid but I'm not sure that I really want her to go against her Funimation "typecast" so and be known as the voice of the Most Waifu-est Waifu Known To Man as I both find Asuna to be repugnant and don't know what the ramifications of her being attached to such a well known role will be. Will it typecast her as the Waifu in the eyes (ears?) of casting directors? Will I personally ever be able to hear her as a character with soul and backbone and not have the experienced ruined for me because she'll sound like the doormat that was Asuna? As a fan, I am compelled to wonder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5