• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Genshiken DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
I really hate these otaku reviews. AMERICAN VAs ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE JAPANESE SEIYUUS. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS AND COME TO REALIZE THAT DUBS DO NOT REFLECT THE PERFORMANCES OF THE ORIGINAL.

Seriously, this whole grading system of how the dub compares to the sub is idiotic. I doubt the purist otaku reviewing these things has even listened to anything besides 4Kids dubs. Who cares how it sounds? As long as it's a good dub (like most modern ones are) you should be content with it, not be all like "OMG DUBS SUCK BECAUSE STEVE BLUM MADE ONE TINY PAUSE IN THE SENTENCE BUT KOICHI YAMADERA SAID IT THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH DUBS SUCK IMO YOU ARE INFERIOR1111" (okay, too exaggerated, but you get the idea). I wanna see the series, though, and I dig Geneon's model kit-like package design.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
I really hate these otaku reviews. AMERICAN VAs ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE JAPANESE SEIYUUS. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS AND COME TO REALIZE THAT DUBS DO NOT REFLECT THE PERFORMANCES OF THE ORIGINAL.
Actually, they should sound similar to the seiyuus and the dubs (overall) should be something like the original. While it is pretty much impossible to be exactly the same, it is a good idea to be close to the original. Afterall, dubs are copies of the original for people who don't speak the language or don't want to read subtitles.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
Actually, they should sound similar to the seiyuus and the dubs (overall) should be something like the original. While it is pretty much impossible to be exactly the same, it is a good idea to be close to the original. Afterall, dubs are copies of the original for people who don't speak the language or don't want to read subtitles.

No, you are wrong. They can try to sound like the original, but that's not their job. Their job is to get the same emotion across, (or improve on it) not emulate someone else's work. That's pretty hard to do, especially when you're working in another language.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

Seriously, this whole grading system of how the dub compares to the sub is idiotic. I doubt the purist otaku reviewing these things has even listened to anything besides 4Kids dubs. Who cares how it sounds? As long as it's a good dub (like most modern ones are) you should be content with it, not be all like "OMG DUBS SUCK BECAUSE STEVE BLUM MADE ONE TINY PAUSE IN THE SENTENCE BUT KOICHI YAMADERA SAID IT THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH DUBS SUCK IMO YOU ARE INFERIOR1111" (okay, too exaggerated, but you get the idea). I wanna see the series, though, and I dig Geneon's model kit-like package design.

Wow, Starwind Armada, you so do not know what you are talking about. I am the farthest thing from a "purist otaku" that you will see in these forums. Read my Staff profile sometime, friend.

If you've read my reviews consistently over the past few months then you'd know that I tend to be soft on dubs; I have a bit of a reputation for that in some people's eyes, since I rate dubs equal to, or better than, the subs at least 75% of the time. I almost always watch dubs first and prefer them except in extreme cases. When I do reviews I always start with the assumption that the dub and sub are about equal and rate the dub up or down from there.

What all that means is that when I rate a dub down, it's because there are distinct issues. In the case of Genshiken the problems I mentioned are frequent and heard in several different roles. It has nothing to do with the English VAs trying to imitate the seiyuu; performances done by professionals in animation shouldn't sound that stiff, and it's a problem you don't hear in the Japanese vocals. And while I'll tolerate a good amount of leeway on scripts, it is certainly possible for an ADR scriptwriter to go too far on taking liberties, and Genshiken was on the edge of doing that.

As for how much the dub performances should reflect the original performances, that varies from volume to volume. As a rule I'll accept a completely different style of delivery as long as it still captures the essence of the character. (Hence the reason why I like the Inuyasha dub so much.) When a different style of performance distinctly changes the nature of the character's personality is when it becomes a problem in my book.

And I'll try not to take too much offense at the cheap shots you passed down. I have seen hundreds of different dub jobs from a couple of dozen different companies, including some you've probably never heard of, Starwind. I seriously doubt you want to compare records with me on that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
BuffaloStyle wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

No, you are wrong. They can try to sound like the original, but that's not their job. Their job is to get the same emotion across, (or improve on it) not emulate someone else's work. That's pretty hard to do, especially when you're working in another language.

I remember I read that in a magazine that interview one of director for a dub studio. Their job really isn't to imitate the japanese voice actor, in which many people fail to see.

biliano wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:
Comic party isn't even on the same level as Genshiken.

I know that! Very Happy I was merely referencing the fact that they're both mockumentaries. Wink

I would put Otaku No Video above Comic Party. CP was a very below average series to me and does not capture the essence of otaku even if it tried.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
BTW, the dub is fine for most of the character but Madarame's voice actor is way way off his character. He doesn't sound geeky enough, and too calm. Maybe they should have gotten Screech from Save by the Bell to play his part.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Dustin Diamond is currently performing stand-up if I recall correctly. There are plenty of characters in the VA pool. All they need is the right direction.
Sage Korma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
All they need is the right direction.

Maybe it's just me, but after reading (then re-reading) the manga and thinking a bit about voice actors for an anime, the only one that I could 'hear' in my head Madarame. I kept hearing the voice of the guy who did Mandark for Dexter's Labratory.

No idea what his name it, but every time Madarame spoke, I heard his voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2