• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Severing Crime Edge (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Too lazy to check. spoiler[Jack the Ripper]?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Did anyone catch what spoiler[murder] Kiri is descended from? The name was on the website and it didn't appear to be Japanese.

After a quick look, it said Norma Grayland. Doesnt seem to be a real person. And last I checked, Norma was a female name, which is kinda funny considering the writer's might actually not have know that (unless Im wrong)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
I guess I don't find the hair fetish all that perverted. >.> Ok, the overwhelming need to cut it is a little borderline, but that's something easily channeled by simply becoming a hair stylist. But I didn't find him touching it to be creepy. And she seemed to enjoy it. I mean, I don't spend any time obsessing about it, but playing with hair is a pleasurable tactile experience on either side. Now eating it, like in Cuticle Detective, that's something entirely different. Very Happy

Anyway, I agree it was off-key that she offered him every pair of scissors in the house despite knowing he had his own, and that he would use them instead of his favored implement. I think fetishists tend to be very ritualistic about their fetishes, and using someone else's scissors would be like sipping fine brandy out of a Dixie cup.

It also bothered me that she always wore her hair down, even though she felt it got in her way. I know people with hair literally down to the floor, and they usually wear it up in some fashion, or at least braided. Was she forbidden to deal with it in a practical way?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It also bothered me that she always wore her hair down, even though she felt it got in her way. I know people with hair literally down to the floor, and they usually wear it up in some fashion, or at least braided. Was she forbidden to deal with it in a practical way?

But could you imagine if it got tangled from using it in a style. Perhaps she got so sick of her hair restricting her life she would rather just leave it be rather than obsess over changing its style.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
I liked this a ton. I too was frustrated that Kiri didn't use his own scissors right off the bat and the show never provides a justifiable rationale for that, but clearly they wanted to a make an episode climaxing meal out of it the moment, so I forgive them. Gratification delayed is gratification increased. spoiler[Although, I was afraid they weren't going to show the finished look this episode, so I was relieved when they did.] I find the two leads adorable together and I wish them well.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Even though this show is weird, I'm interested in how it will end, so I'll keep watching.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I too was frustrated that Kiri didn't use his own scissors right off the bat and the show never provides a justifiable rationale for that, but clearly they wanted to a make an episode climaxing meal out of it the moment, so I forgive them.

I was expecting her hair to break scissors, which would explain him not using his own first. But when there wasn't any damage to the other scissors: I too would have expected him to at least try his.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But could you imagine if it got tangled from using it in a style. Perhaps she got so sick of her hair restricting her life she would rather just leave it be rather than obsess over changing its style.

Not sure if that's meant to be sarcastic or not. But if not, then no, I can't imagine that, as it makes no sense unless she's going for a 6 foot beehive and teasing it from dusk till dawn. Her hair is certain to be tangled from not having it pinned up or braided, unless she brushes it every hour or never moves, or unless part of the curse is - gasp - no tangles! (/sarcasm)

Again, the only thing fantastic about her hair is the inability to cut it, not its length. Women all over the world have hair that long, and it doesn't restrict their lives or movement because they do the simple, obvious things to keep it out of their way. The very least she could have done was get it out of her face with bobby pins so she didn't look like an unkempt street urchin. Smile That's why I wondered if maybe she was forbidden to take care of it just to torture her.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

That was a very murder first episode. What series does it remind me of? Perhaps C3 with the whole cursed item thing and a dark murdering thing in the background. Although this seems to rather different in the princess like look, it has a sort of gothic feel that reminds me slightly of or perhaps Dantalian, although darker, more modern.

Talking of Dantalian, just compare the images.

I plan on watching more, something makes me want to know what makes this show tic. Oh, and it is the new hair fetish anime, replacing last season's werewolf.

I just couldn't resist. What is with these dark shows with a servant-type guy standing next to a very young looking girl / femmy boy who is sitting in an antique chair?

jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
is anyone one getting Go Sick vibes from this anime?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Not in the slightest. The heroine in SCE isn't even close to be a tsundere and hasn't displayed the slightest interest in either reading or sweets.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I just couldn't resist. What is with these dark shows with a servant-type guy standing next to a very young looking girl / femmy boy who is sitting in an antique chair?

Lolicon and/or Shotacon with a bishonen/bidanshi fighting your battles= it's practically a sub-genre.

Applied in Pandora Hearts- Oz (shota) and Gilbert (servant), Inu × Boku SS-Ririchiyo (loli) and Soushi (creepy servant) and Hayate the Combat Butler- Nagi (loli) and Hayate (servant), expect not dark in the slightest.

I like this show so far because, while there's humor, the hair fetish mixed with unorthodox tools for mass killings is just plain odd. They can really attempt some black/gallows humor while also have enough romance to up the chemistry between the main duo.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
What is with these dark shows with a servant-type guy standing next to a very young looking girl / femmy boy who is sitting in an antique chair?

I think they're just going for the classic pose that was a staple of Victorian portraiture. Although more often than not, it was the woman who was standing by a seated man, often with her hand on his shoulder. But with these shows, reversing the roles would ruin that composition, since the children standing would barely come up to the seated adult's shoulder (I suppose Crime Edge could pull it off, if the chair wasn't too high).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It is an interesting look, I thought I had seen more but I could not find the pictures that I thought I knew. Like for instance I thought there was one from Gosick. The is something compelling about the style that shows up in various anime.

I found the one I posted though worth extra points as they both seem to be inside a greenhouse. I am somewhat interested in the artistic choices that lead one character to having lighter clothes, while the other is wearing darker clothes, contrasting of hair also, eye colour is differs between the subjects.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quote
Yea, I actually liked Black Butler so I'm not really criticizing it. Who knows, I might actually enjoy Severing Crime Edge too. I just thought it was so interesting how they keep using that EXACT same pose with slight stylistic differences. I didn't even think so much about the background as well though until Duskypredator mentioned it. Large windows in each which are just behind them, I suppose allowing for some kind of play on light, though they could have just as easily used candles. I do wonder how many other anime titles out there have used this pose for promotional materials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19