• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Arms And The Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The rarest DVD sets that I want are Cat's Eye and Nobody's Boy - Remi, those were only sold on RightStuf and are so OOP you'd be lucky to find somebody that's willing to part with their set. They might be old series, but they're enjoyable and hope that Discotek might be willing to release them.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I managed to find a copy of Nightwalker Vol 2 back in January for only $26, so my OOP Do Want list is almost empty right now. The one thing I have left that I am missing is the Ghost Sweeper Mikami Movie. I know a guy selling one for $50, but that's a bit too steep for me, and I keep hoping that I can dig one up somewhere. So far, no dice.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
My list of holy grails includes the 8th (and impossible to find at a sane price) Maison Ikkoku boxset, the 8th dvd of Hayate The Combat Butler, and a few others. I've really been lucky over the years at finding hard to locate stuff-I found a very good used copy of Gall Force-Earth Chapter for 10 bucks at the local Second Spin and a very nice copy of the remastered Oh My Goddess (3 disc) set for $30 on amazon last year-can't touch it for less than $250 now-jeez. I have the 9 disc set of The Story Of Saiunkoku that I got off amazon while it was still in print for $35, and so it goes.
stanislaus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for including the link to the awesome Roger Ebert review. My favorite Ebert review is his 'I have won the Pulitzer Prize' review of Deuce Bigalow in his book Your Movie Sucks.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I saw every available DVD of the Project Arms at the old anime store in Northridge before it moved away. Final volume completion is such a familiar tale to me. I guess I should be happy I managed to finish so many series that I started back then.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Michael Toole wrote:
Arms And The Fan

Arma virumque cano ...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Viz's release of Hunter x Hunter 1999. I was hunting around for those recently and almost cried and said **** it when I saw how few there are around and how expensive they are. Sad
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
This article reminded me of my joy at finding that last volume of "Master Keaton" when I was back home the Christmas before last.

I never managed to get hold of:

* Maison Ikkoku box sets 4-8. They came out after I started working in Japan in 2004. Silver lining: there was a rental shop near my new home that had the whole series, so I at least got to see the rest of it.
* One or two volumes of Kimagure Orange Road TV. Now *there's* a lost cause, all right!
* Urusei Yatsura sets 5-up, and the OVA/movie box. Same reason. Renting is an option, but I still haven't made it to the end (and still need subtitles to truly appreciate a good Megane rant.)

In Japan, I bought the rerelease of the "Windaria" DVD as soon as it came out in 2005, and a good thing, too -- that thing went back OOP practically overnight, and is currently selling on Amazon for...let's see...ah, here it is: anywhere from 15,650 to 29,800 yen (!)

Not anime, but at a Book Off nearby I recently found the last two volumes of Yoshiyuki Tomino's "Gaia Gear" novels (Gundam-related and loooong OOP -- what, is Sunrise suppressing these or something???). I'd been on the lookout for these I know not how long, and to my great surprise found them for 105 yen each. Take that Amazon resellers! Had I paid their prices (currently about 3,000 yen/book), I have zero doubt that a reissue would have been announced the following week.

PS: I pity da fool who wants the R2 disc of "Genmu Senki Leda"
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
As nice as it might be to have a store to dig through for these odd titles, I actually enjoy the internet hunt- it has its own unique quirks that can make it just as interesting.

For example, I was working on a whole set of the Eat-Man OAVs that only came out on VHS stateside. 5 of the tapes were simple enough, but one- I think the first one- didn't show up anywhere. After much, MUCH hunting, I finally found the Amazon page. It was listed as the Haunted Junction DVD set. Really!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Once I get Kimagure Orange Road TV Vol. 8 in the mail I'll only be missing volume 10. Unfortunately for me the only copies on eBay.com are priced at $85 new, not including shipping. Used copies are on Amazon.com's Marketplace, but I can't use that directly since the sellers won't ship to the Philippines.

Got lucky with finding bargain bin new copies of the remastered Oh My Goddess DVDs from Hobby Point that were originally from Comics And Then Some (C.A.T.S.), my old comic shop. Also got a complete set of the ADV Excel Saga singles (the Funimation box set doesn't have the ADVidnotes).
rowsdower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
This article reminded me of my joy at finding that last volume of "Master Keaton" when I was back home the Christmas before last.

Oh, Master Keaton. One of the best series that nobody knows about and even fewer people actually bought. I lucked out with that one tremendously. I found out the series existed right when RightStuf was liquidating their old Geneon backlog, and I managed to snag all the volumes but one at about $5 a pop. The remaining one I managed to get from an Amazon resale at about $15.

I've actually had really good luck with out of print items, especially when it comes to box sets. I got the gorgeous Geneon Gankutsuou complete box set from that same Geneon sale for about half the original price, found the tragically long OOP Paranoia Agent box set (used starts at $170 on Amazon) in flawless condition at a used goods shop, and was given the Berserk Box of War ($115 on Amazon) set as a present.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
First, my required squeal of geeker joy at a *positive* review of Project ARMS in any way shape or form! Second...ouch, I had no idea that Vol. 9 was that difficult for find. It's one of my favorite shows, but I was fortunate enough to collect it during its release and so I had no trouble getting the DVD volumes.

The same cannot be said for some of the other shows on my list. Sailor Moon remains woefully incomplete in DVD format, as does Zoids: New Century Zero (and those don't even have a Japanese track on them, go figure). And how about that Cardcaptor Sakura? Specifically the Clow and Sakura box sets. They're rare as heck, and when they do show up, you have to be prepared to shell out $300-$400 per. And in an ironic twist of fate, the single DVDs are more readily available but if you actually do the math, collecting them individually costs more than just waiting for the box sets to make their rare appearance.

It amazes me a little that some of these shows haven't seen a license rescue by now. There is *clearly* demand for them, and not enough of a supply on the used DVD circuit. I figure there has to be a legal or economic issue concerning it, but the fan in me just wants to tear her hair out over it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
PS: I pity da fool who wants the R2 disc of "Genmu Senki Leda"

Yeah, why has that OVA gotten so popular lately, beyond being beautiful and awesome. I've seen a ton of pixiv art and doujinshi for it for the last few years, something that never occurs with rereleases of other older anime. I think Windaria's R2 is equally hard to find.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I still have my R2 copies of Leda and Windaria (the first releases). I've actually owned and sold many of the "holy grails" mentioned in this thread, including Maison Ikkoku Vol. 8, KOR TV, Arcadia of My Youth, Macross, even a complete set of Orguss (I think the guy who bought Orguss from me on eBay was pretty happy, at least). I do sort of regret letting my Blu-ray version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time go for around 20 bucks (that was just before it went out of print, natch). Over the last few years, I've reduced my anime shelf to just a few old favorites. At the same time, my collection of live-action films on Blu-ray exploded. I guess it reflects my changing tastes in media.

Titles still on my shelf other than Leda and Windaria include Angel's Egg, Tragedy of Belladonna (for all its flaws, I find it fascinating), Macross: DYRL (of course!), the totally awesome R2 Megazone 23 collection, and the ultra rare Korean release of Perfect Blue (it has the anamorphic widescreen transfer from Japan but includes English subs). As far as R1 discs, I still have Video Girl Ai. Not that rare, but definitely OOP.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
I got Spriggan at a local record store for about 3 dollars. It wasn't amazing, but the animation was very nice and at that price it was worth it. I got end of evangelion for the same price at that store. I'm surprised FYE is so rare though: there's one in my mall that has a wide and seemingly random selection of anime available(they have the complete Geneon boxsets of lyrical nanoha and A's for 30 bucks each, along with the jojo ova and some tehnjo tenge) and my dad works near a very big one.
Quote:
And how about that Cardcaptor Sakura? Specifically the Clow and Sakura box sets. They're rare as heck, and when they do show up, you have to be prepared to shell out $300-$400 per.

I think even the Japanese blu ray sets are cheaper than those.crazy stuff. I'm trying to collect the whole series...but with only volume 1 in my possession its gonna take a long, long time.( unless someone re-releases it. come on sentai or funimation) I'm kinda angry at myself for not buying the movie when it was 7 dollars on amazon though, as the price is now 16 dollars and rising. Oh well. better get it quick.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3