• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yami Shibai (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Yami Shibai (TV)

I just watched the first episode of new short anime, Yami Shibai. How the hell did I just get scared? That should not be possible that only goes for four and a half minutes, especially with the level of animation. That spoiler[jump scare] literally made me gasp.

I was so freaked out but I think that I will continue watching it. I don't expect much discussion, this just seems to a short anime about horror stories.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm not fond of jump scares (2nd only to characters scared by the BGM for stupidity) but this was really cool and I like that ending. It's exactly what I figured but it was done quite well.

Horror is something anime often does so well but sadly despite ANN's funky category listing it's extremely rare.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I'm not fond of jump scares (2nd only to characters scared by the BGM for stupidity) but this was really cool and I like that ending. It's exactly what I figured but it was done quite well.

Horror is something anime often does so well but sadly despite ANN's funky category listing it's extremely rare.

as a horror fan I would disagree completely with that statement. Anime often does a disservice to horror. Sure it has it own style but I have yet to see a anime that really was creepy or scary. I fine Japans horror story telling to often be boring and uninteresting.

As for this show. I'm not sure how I feel about the really cheap animation. The quality is very very poor even for anime. At least it was under 5 min.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
One difference might be my horror requirements. Although I'm hardly ever scared by anything that's not a game or real-life event (leading me to believe I require interactivity and consequence to be scared) I can enjoy horror that doesn't necessarily scare me so long as the ideas and presentation are good and of a horror nature.

I don't think the show could work if it were any longer. The almost "moving comic" style would also get jarring if it went on any longer. But it gives it a sort of freakshow appeal which I think is fine for the time being.

I'm a horror fan too but I'm not so fond of Asian live horror. To me it's the acting and effects that kill it. I'm not saying "GO HOLLYWOOD!" here though. You can do a lot with lights, cameras and makeup regardless of budget and other countries prove that.

I've seen all the famous ones (mostly because my brother is a die-hard Asian horror pusher) and even if some genius team manages to make good use out of their amateur makeup and effects, I find their actors can't seem to show me their fear. While the stories can require some cultural understanding and knowledge, fear (like any emotion) is a communication and thus is universal. What scared them might not scare me but I should at least feel that they are scared/concerned/curious.

Most anime horror I see suggested by people turns out to just be anime with supernatural elements. "If it has ghosts then it must horror." isn't a classification I'd agree with.

I.... wrote way too much. Sorry.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
I agree with Bango about the length. I'm a fan of horror, but I feel like the genre (especially in the hands of Japanese storytellers) works best when it's a short story, or an anthology. Part of a good horror story is an element of mystery or uncertainty, which is a lot harder to maintain the longer a story goes on.

I'm also really digging the motion-comic aesthetic. It got a little distracting at times, but overall helped build a creepy atmosphere, at least for the first episode. Here's hoping the rest are as good!
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Ep4 was good but ep5 was absolutely great! I had a similar experience once when I was a kid. Well, not totally similar of course but the general feel. spoiler[A friend and I were at the local university looking for his dad and we entered the elevator with a serviceman who decided to play a prank on us and sent the elevator to the unmarked basement and dumped us there for a few minutes.

Yeah he was an ass and I assume he got in serious trouble for the prank.]

The spoiler[runner at the 2nd strange floor was a nice touch. I get creeped out by unknown things charging me], especially when I'm boxed in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Had to be a spoiler[mannequin].

I found Episode 4 scarier, but there are some really good jobs at putting horror into 4 minutes. I suppose it really fits into the Japanese pastime of telling multiple short ghost stories, I saw a really good document on that years ago which I was able to watch again fairly recently.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
That didn't happened to be a BBC documentary on differences in what scares people in different cultures, did it? Like westerners fearing death, middle easterners fearing damnation and asians fearing madness or something?

I swear God I saw such a thing once but haven't been able to find any trace that it ever existed and the memory returns sometimes and it bugs me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
I think what I saw was more on looking at Japanese horror. Apparently it went back famous literature in horror, and there was even a Caucasian guy who apparently stayed to learn about the sort of culture. Apparently more recent they do things at small clubs in where people read ghost stories, similar to how it is done with poetry.

The documentary I saw was cheesy, but it looked at some Japanese horror movies, and actually how the general theme actually go way back into the culture.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a fan of ep6. That's is a shame since I loved ep5 so much. The `thing' was a fairly good design (although western media tends to use something like that more in comedy) but I just couldn't get into that ending.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
I've started watching this recently and seems strange I guess...

Latest episode made me a bit sick though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
It made me want to play Starcon 2 again. spoiler[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK_Ue5bVLd4 ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
I would not call episode 6 quite as creepy/scary as the others, partially because I don't think that what the character did made sense unlike the others. Guess the spoiler[blob thing did have a kind of creepy look], but I could not help but think it had some sort of spoiler[cute girl form], or overuse of the spoiler[flowers in Flowers of Evil].
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
So far these are pretty awesome.

Can someone explain the 2nd episode? I didn't understand the ending.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Zanbai would be an inverse of Banzai (congratulations/cheers/yay) and the downward motion of the hands supports this. So basically, a curse.

Why curse him? That's up in the open (which I love for short horror like this). While there's the chance that the 3 dudes in the hospital were just jerks, I'd like to think that there was something special or sacred about where he fell. Like he wasn't supposed to be there, and they punished him for it.

That's my take on it, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2