• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
That and the last thing Aniplex needs to be doing is learning anything from Bandai.
Mirri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what people thought of the two compilation films.

They're better than watching the TV series, in my opinion. Though some of the changes to the score really irked me (That scene from episode 3 has "Mirai" by Kalafina instead of "credens justitiam" and the scene that is the beginning of episode 7 is replaced with a classical piece)

I'm very torn regarding this. I wanted to import this set from AmiAmi and get the exclusive Tumbler, but the translation booklet means a lot to me as well...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Well well, they're actually releasing these with a decent price

Decent price for Aniplex, but as a price in whole for the length of the videos it's about 5 times more than what others charge for anime movies. About 5 times more than the average fan can really afford to spend on a movie. Aniplex of America as usual, not caring about the more average income fans. I know I've said this a thousand times but I really wish they'd start caring about getting these products out to more fans rather than just richer fans. If I ever created something amazing I'd want to share it with as many people as possible.

Its actually a budget price release in Japan to appeal to more mainstream anime fans. A normal anime movie will run you about 100 bucks itself, but this is both movies combined for about 100 bucks.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I know dubs are very important to some. But I have trouble believing AoA would dub the compilation movies of a series they already released and dubbed. Aniplex most likely redubbed these movies in Japanese because Madoka Magica is a cash cow over there. I doubt dubbing these movies in English will be worth the expense, given the size of the R1 market.

Also, in my opinion it does not make much sense to want to buy two compilation movies of an existing series. The original series is great as it is, and these movies are just designed to extort money from the ever eager, big spending Japanese otaku. I rather wait (and potentially buy) for the third movie, which is supposed to have new material.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Remember people before complaining about the price or no dub: This is an import. This doesn't prevent it from getting a full dub release later on, nor does this mean there won't be a more affordable version later on.

But considering it's Aniplex, the odds of that happening are basically 0.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay Just listen people I would gladly pay 100 dollars for a full anime series but this much for two summary movies?? It must be nice to have money to waste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A question for anyone who knows: the first two films are compilation films, but the third is completely new material, correct?

It's about 90% identical to TV series, just the animation and art touched up. I think there were supposedly some line changes and maybe a short scene added somewhere but unless you watch them right after the TV series, you probably won't figure out what they where. The only notable changes were a few things take out, the most notable of which was Mami's reason for making the contract. They also took out a little scuffle between Homura and Sayaka around episode 7 or 8.

And yes, the third film will be completely new.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
People are saying the extras (such as audio commentary) aren't subtitled?

Looking at the product page.... the extras really AREN'T subtitled.
Product Listing wrote:
Media: Collector's Edition (sale for USA, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Central and South Americas)
Languages: Japanese
Video: 16:9 / HD Widescreen / 1920 x 1080p / MPEG-4 AVC
Subtitles: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean (*audio commentary and bonus contents don't include subtitles)
Extras: Textless Opening and Ending, Audio Commentary by voice cast
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Total Run Time: Approx. 240 min. (2 movies)

There will be a translation of the "deluxe" booklet, apparently.... but there's no mention of there being even that for the commentary track. Yeah, with that extra bit of info, I'll probably be holding off on owning the movies for quite a while. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Blood- wrote:
A question for anyone who knows: the first two films are compilation films, but the third is completely new material, correct?

It's about 90% identical to TV series, just the animation and art touched up. I think there were supposedly some line changes and maybe a short scene added somewhere but unless you watch them right after the TV series, you probably won't figure out what they where. The only notable changes were a few things take out, the most notable of which was Mami's reason for making the contract. They also took out a little scuffle between Homura and Sayaka around episode 7 or 8.

And yes, the third film will be completely new.

I'm curious about the third film, but generally pass on movies that are a remake of the series. I'm glad that hardcore fans get a chance to own it. To me, soundtracks are worth the extra price, as long as they actually have to "good" songs on them and not crappy filler songs that they had to use instead because of licensing issues.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I could probably live without the first two films if there was not going to be a third filled with new stuff. But as something of a completist, I find it a bit hard to imagine owning the third and not the first two.

I'll probably wait to see if there is a domestic release, as well.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
Well well, they're actually releasing these with a decent price

Decent price for Aniplex, but as a price in whole for the length of the videos it's about 5 times more than what others charge for anime movies. About 5 times more than the average fan can really afford to spend on a movie. Aniplex of America as usual, not caring about the more average income fans. I know I've said this a thousand times but I really wish they'd start caring about getting these products out to more fans rather than just richer fans. If I ever created something amazing I'd want to share it with as many people as possible.

You need to understand that YOU and the "average income" fans, aren't the market Aniplex is after. You are well aware, that when they release these imports from Japan, at the price tags they charge, they ALWAYS sell out. Why would they sell a film for $20-25, when they can get $100+ every time and it's working. It's as simple as that.

The other point is, their business model, makes Anime exciting again by offering a limited amount of releases. Garden of Sinners? How rare is that and do you actually know anyone who has that Blu Ray box set? Probably not and if you did, you know their a hardcore fan to spend that kind of money and it makes that release, that much more unique and special.

Someone else here on the forum said it and around $100 USD or 9000 Yen, is about the right price for a motion picture. Maybe they will do a similar, "regular" edition, just like they did for the TV series later on. But the bottom line is, you are not their target market and no matter how much you complain, their pricing model works and that's what they're sticking to.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I could probably live without the first two films if there was not going to be a third filled with new stuff. But as something of a completist, I find it a bit hard to imagine owning the third and not the first two.

I am surprised you are considering giving your money to the greedy s.o.b., bastards of Aniplex USA for two unessential compilation movies. I like AoA but paying for these two movies is a ripoff.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The original set cost 225$
I am not too thrilled they are asking another 100$

I don't really see any point in owning this
I guess if you could not afford the original TV series you could compromise
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I am surprised you are considering giving your money to the greedy s.o.b., bastards of Aniplex USA for two unessential compilation movies. I like AoA but paying for these two movies is a ripoff.

Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of an OCD-ish physical media completist.

*sigh*
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Damn it.

On one hand, I've already stretched myself a little too far this year with anime and anime merch (already pushing stuff back to the fall)...

On the other, it's practically dirt cheap given that it's an import and it's pretty close to the length of the series...

But I want to have the dub too and I'd rather not double dip for that if they do make one, especially if the dub would be on a future BD release...

Then again, they might not bother given that they didn't bother for Gurren Lagann...

Now I feel like I really shot myself in the foot for buying the Limited Editions for the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9