• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My feeling on this are mixed. It's a BD import with no dubs, so that's kinda disappointing, as these might end up like the Gurren Lagann movies, not getting a dub. But the fact that it's an import means that this might just be to hold people over until it gets Dubbed (like Fate/Zero).

Anyways, I'm still getting this, since I'm a huge Madoka fan, and since it's only a little more than one of the Madoka boxes for the LE set, it'll be worth it, IMO.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody have a really good reason for me to buy this? I already own the complete LE bluray sets of the series, and I don't know why I would drop money to buy the same thing again.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
OI was perfect. This is undeniably an afterthought. I want to be able to understand the commentaries. I'm tired of spending roughly the same as a Japanese fan and not being able to get the same level of enjoyment.

Aniplex, you are close but still so far.
partysmores

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, uh, no. I want the Madoka films, but I don't want to spend $100 on a sub-only DVD, in which some of the bonus material I would be interested in doesn't have subtitles even.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I remember the days when people used to complain about re-cap episodes, not pay $100.00 for them. Shocked
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again...

I hope this does not go the way of the Gurren Lagann BD thread, but it probably will.

Not surprised they went with this method. Going to probably wait for a domestic release on these as I'll be fine with having the LE's (Or if they (Finally) sell out before I can get them, the BD's) for the TV series. Not too interested in dropping $90-$105 after that on compilation movies. The collectors edition could tempt me though once I see what it looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ssandulak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I have the original LE's, so don't really see a reason to own this. I dunno, maybe it's just older anime fans who hated the recap episodes? I know I'd always groan/skip them completely.
On the topic of the movies themselves, are they a remake akin to the Evangelion remakes? In that everything is reanimated/redone? Or does it actually take footage from the original and just compile things with a few added scenes? I'm definitely on the side of not purchasing these, and I'm a huge fan of PMMM. Perhaps I'll look into the movies a bit more.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
NeoBasch wrote:
I was going to import this, now I won't have to. Technically, I guess I still will be but I won't have to pay the ridiculous Japanese import price now. I can save some money. Who'd have thunk Aniplex would save me some $40-60? :D

You'd get hit with import duties where you live? My first thought was that the LE BD set was ~$20 cheaper at AmazonJP (without shipping charges, but still including Japanese sales tax) than at TRSI, but TRSI will have the booklet translation. Is that worth $20 to me? Hmm...

angelmcazares wrote:
I doubt dubbing these movies in English will be worth the expense, given the size of the R1 market.

That's a pretty good point. Even editing the TV dub to fit the movies would take a lot of time and money, and there's probably more than a few lines which would require re-dubbing.

Quote:
I rather wait (and potentially buy) for the third movie, which is supposed to have new material.

"supposed to have new material"? Right at the moment, I can't imagine it being anything else, given that the two movies in this set covered the entire TV series. What other options can you envision for the third movie? ^^;

roseversailles wrote:
I don't care about a dub, but I want that commentary subtitled! :cry:

That would be my preference, too, but translating a non-scripted commentary would probably be very time-consuming and that would make it pretty expensive. Few fansubbers bother with commentaries, either, although Madoka TV had commentary fansubs.

So many of my imports lack subtitles at all, whether for the main content or any commentaries, that I'm not too bothered by this. The Nanoha movies lacked a commentary translation, and I presume that those were scripted, since I think that they were character commentaries rather than cast/crew commentaries. I'm just happy when an import contains a translation for the main content. Anything more is a bonus. If a US release includes a commentary without translation, I'd be frustrated and would complain.

Who to buy the LE set from? <sigh>

Edit:
ssandulak wrote:
I dunno, maybe it's just older anime fans who hated the recap episodes? I know I'd always groan/skip them completely.

I rarely enjoy recap episodes in TV series, since it feels like they're costing us a regular story-advancing episode. These movies are recaps, but they're not getting in the way of anything and are purely optional.

Quote:
On the topic of the movies themselves, are they a remake akin to the Evangelion remakes? In that everything is reanimated/redone?

Nope.

Quote:
Or does it actually take footage from the original and just compile things with a few added scenes?

More or less.

Quote:
I'm definitely on the side of not purchasing these, and I'm a huge fan of PMMM. Perhaps I'll look into the movies a bit more.

I enjoyed seeing them down in LA and I was considering importing them even without any translation (they'd go with my Madoka TV imports), so I'll be buying them from a store on one side of the Pacific or the other.

Last edited by Ingraman on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ssandulak wrote:

On the topic of the movies themselves, are they a remake akin to the Evangelion remakes? In that everything is reanimated/redone? Or does it actually take footage from the original and just compile things with a few added scenes? I'm definitely on the side of not purchasing these, and I'm a huge fan of PMMM. Perhaps I'll look into the movies a bit more.

Why would they be anything like Rebuild? The show's not even that old!

They take scenes from the show, touch up some of the ones that needed them, add new scenes, all redone dialogue and have a few new soundtrack pieces.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
And again it way to much for my blood and sub only I wonder what there smoking in there
ssandulak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I doubted they were going to be like rebuild, but that would have been a reason for me to buy them. I dunno how I'll feel when the 3rd one gets released though...will my inner collector force me to buy the first 2? Or will I be able to settle for just number 3...it's a quandary...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ssandulak wrote:
Yeah I have the original LE's, so don't really see a reason to own this. I dunno, maybe it's just older anime fans who hated the recap episodes? I know I'd always groan/skip them completely.

LOL. Sometimes you just don't see them coming... but I don't see any reason to pay for them (unless you are a hardcore collector of the franchise. even then... Confused )
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! If you read what I state below, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm going to be buying these. $105 for the limited edition. And if a domestic release comes out later with new content (or subbed commentaries)? Well, I'm probably nutso enough to continue throwing my money.

At Blood-, the last few paragraphs below might be relevant to what you were asking earlier.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Okay Just listen people I would gladly pay 100 dollars for a full anime series but this much for two summary movies?? It must be nice to have money to waste.

You are basically buying the entire anime series for $105. The running time is only a little less:

TV Series: ~20 min/ep * 12 eps = 240 min
Movie 1: 130 min (first 8 eps)
Movie 2: 109 min (last 4 eps)

Some less important scenes were removed or shortened in the 1st film (no opening dream sequence, Sayaka/Madoka/Mami chat reduced in 2nd episode). And some scenes were added or modified in the 2nd film (intro to Homura's past).

The art was really spruced up for the films (SHAFT redrew a lot of background art, adding more detail and making the final outcome even more gorgeous). The transformation and action sequences were also improved (more detail, smoother)... some transformation sequences didn't even exist in the series.

Overall, these are the best anime compilations I've seen yet. There were a few changes I didn't agree with (mainly in regards to music), but most of the changes I loved. In terms of future rewatches, I would personally choose these movies over the series.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll probaly pay that price for the third movie, but I'm not really interested in the compilations if nothing important was changed from the series.

Edit: I missed willag's post describing the changes. I still think I will stick with the series though. It is already a masterpiece as far as I am concerned, and those changes don't seem to be that big a deal to me.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So... For the sake of argument snd curiosity, I'm gonna be a little bit controversial and ask if the violent negative reaction to highly priced imports is due to a sense of entitlement that all anime should be worth X amount of $. How would this be different from a fan who feels that he is entitled to free anime if he feels that anime is worth $0 (and is not willing or able to buy regularly priced NA BD/DVDs)? I mean the "no one is entitled to free anime" is a common rhetoric. What about "no one is entitled to cheap anime (compared to Japan)"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9