• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I will wait for any North American release of the film in the future that will feature a dub. I watched the TV show dubbed, so I'm hoping I will get to watch the movies dubbed, if Aniplex of America does indeed decide to dub them (which I see no reason why they shouldn't).

Edit: I say there's no reason they shouldn't dub this because there is going to be a third movie coming out later featuring new material. Aniplex of America should definitely dub that, and to maintain continuity with these other two films I say they should dub these as well.

Last edited by CG-LOVER on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
I will wait for any North American release of the film in the future that will feature a dub. I watched the TV show dubbed, so I'm hoping I will get to watch the movies dubbed, if Aniplex of America does indeed decide to dub them (which I see no reason why they shouldn't).

Theres no reason for a dub lover to get the movies though. It's the same material...
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
First off I would like to say that there appears to be a whole bunch of business experts in this thread. I mean, what are the odds of so many people who have mastered U.S marketing/internet marketing and international marketing and business strategy meeting in one place?

In fact, a kick starter should be initiated that will fund a trip to Aniplex of Japans corporate headquarters. Upon arrival, all the participants will be immediately whisked to the board room where the entire board, company president, and any other executives/decision makers will gather to listen a bunch of forum posters tell them everything they think Aniplex is doing wrong.

There will be much discussion about how ANY time Aniplex so much as farts, people get worked up in to a tizzy. Also about how Aniplex of America ( and by extension Aniplex of Japan and by further extension Sony Corporate et al.) hurts peoples feelings by releasing titles *people complain about yet can't stop discussing.
If enough kickstarter money is raised an added bonus will be a signed apology letter from Aniplex to the world for anything they have ever done, are currently doing and will ever do. That ought to cover everything right?

Aniplex does what it does, so all the whining is useless. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I pre ordered the blu ray limited edition movies. I also bought all 3 limited edition versions of the show and guess what? If the movies are released again with an english dub, I will probably purchase that as well.

It's my hard earned money and I'll spend it how I want.

*Paraphrased Kevin Smith dialog.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually this thread doesn't seem to have really devolved into the price side of things as much as usual. Nice of you to make a snarky contribution to try and get it back on that track though...
There was some actual useful information about the releases and why you should/shouldn't buy them.
Do people really not see the irony in whining about others who whine constantly?
Not saying completely useless posts like the one above are without merit, as I usually get a chuckle out of reading them regardless...just strikes me as funny is all Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
@ Ingraman: Rakkyo extra features were translated.

Hmm... What's "Rakkyo", and what are its extras? The name didn't turn up anything on ANN, and Google gave me mostly sushi results.

This is why I wish people would use more common title names. He's referring to Garden of Sinners, which, being an English title, is I guess insufficiently pretentious to use.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Hmm... What's "Rakkyo", and what are its extras? The name didn't turn up anything on ANN, and Google gave me mostly sushi results.

This is why I wish people would use more common title names. He's referring to Garden of Sinners, which, being an English title, is I guess insufficiently pretentious to use.

Kara no Kyoukai's abbreviation is particularly obtuse
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
God bless Urobuchi for not pandering, in spite of his audience. That man is a great writer. It's too bad that SHAFT as a company has returned to trying to be artsy and pandering at the same time (Sasami-San@Ganbaranai). Whether subsequent material is good or bad, the original Madoka TV Series will at least age gracefully as most masterpieces do. Smile

SHAFT made a lot of money with Madoka, but they're also spending a lot of money with Madoka and realize they can't bring out a masterpiece every season. I think they're concentrating their "talent" on other things while they try to bring "decent" other pandering stuff to hold off their budget in the meantime. For the most part, SHAFT isn't a group with a lot of money, so they need to cash in on Madoka and their other popular stuff (Nanimonogatari, Hidamari Sketch, etc.) or risk going broke again.

Blood- wrote:
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on my original question, especially to Juno016, who provided such a detailed answer. I may end up cursing you, but you've helped to convince me that there is a value beyond merely satisfying my completist bent to owning the first two films.

It's not anything TOO drastic, as the story and general copy-paste is the same most of the time (deja vu galore!), but if you're like me and appreciate the subtle aesthetic improvements, it will probably be worth your money. It's rare you find an entire series for a price like this coming from Japan with the soundtrack, even if it is slightly cut down. Though I apologize if I might've hyped it up too much and you regret your purchase. =P
ssandulak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Heh I didn't know that was the abbreviation for Garden of Sinners. Good to know Very Happy
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Will wait for a NA domestic release.

If it never happens, so be it.

Mark Gosdin

Agreed. Not that the price is too outrageous for two films, but it's not worth the added cost just because it's manufactured in Japan instead of the US, not to mention the untranslated extras. I will give credit to Aniplex though for such a small price difference between the regular and collectors edition.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I'm not certain that I've even seen it mentioned before. "Kara no Kyoukai", I expect. Heck, even "KnK" I'd probably recognize after a moment or two... ^^; "Haganai" is almost as bad. ^^

I bought the KnK BD set via TRSI, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the product (except for still not having watched the last movie or two ^^; ).
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
People are saying the extras (such as audio commentary) aren't subtitled?

Looking at the product page.... the extras really AREN'T subtitled.
Product Listing wrote:
Media: Collector's Edition (sale for USA, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Central and South Americas)
Languages: Japanese
Video: 16:9 / HD Widescreen / 1920 x 1080p / MPEG-4 AVC
Subtitles: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Korean (*audio commentary and bonus contents don't include subtitles)
Extras: Textless Opening and Ending, Audio Commentary by voice cast
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Total Run Time: Approx. 240 min. (2 movies)

There will be a translation of the "deluxe" booklet, apparently.... but there's no mention of there being even that for the commentary track. Yeah, with that extra bit of info, I'll probably be holding off on owning the movies for quite a while. Anime dazed

Same here, and there are other releases that I would have purchased if the also included English subtitles on more than just the feature.

Very Happy be nice Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
So, um, you know that fanservice isn't nudity's sole purpose in anime, right? Especially with regards to the Magical Girl genre. Depending how it's used, it's also effective for illustrating innocence or purity.

I find it hard to see school girl nudity as "innocent" when Shinbo is involved... especially when symmetrical docking is also involved.
The nudey transformation in late night or OVA Magical Girl shows is a lot more lingering and gratuitous than something like Sailor Moon (see Nanoha, Magical Canan, Puny Puny Poemi...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I'm not certain that I've even seen it mentioned before. "Kara no Kyoukai", I expect. Heck, even "KnK" I'd probably recognize after a moment or two... ^^; "Haganai" is almost as bad. ^^

I bought the KnK BD set via TRSI, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the product (except for still not having watched the last movie or two ^^; ).

Kara no Kyoukai - there's the etymology for you Smile

In all seriousness though, for a top title like Madoka, they should be translating the extras. They know it's what the fans want. It's not like with DRRR!! where the fans wouldn't be willing to put out the necessary money. Madoka fans are like Type-Moon fans. The money is there.

This is almost worse than the Fate/Zero boxes not getting the Einzbern Consultation Room extras subbed. You know, the scripted ones? The ones that wouldn't be nearly as hard as this to sub?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
In all seriousness though, for a top title like Madoka, they should be translating the extras. They know it's what the fans want. It's not like with DRRR!! where the fans wouldn't be willing to put out the necessary money. Madoka fans are like Type-Moon fans. The money is there.

This is almost worse than the Fate/Zero boxes not getting the Einzbern Consultation Room extras subbed. You know, the scripted ones? The ones that wouldn't be nearly as hard as this to sub?

If this was an official English release, they would likely rid the commentary extras in the first place (like they did with the series' release), either to discourage reverse importing or because it's a bit harder to translate and sub them than the series itself. This, however, is the Japanese release being imported to the West, so the commentary is going to be on there, but translating it would take way too much effort for what it's worth--especially in all the other languages as well.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

If this was an official English release, they would likely rid the commentary extras in the first place (like they did with the series' release), either to discourage reverse importing or because it's a bit harder to translate and sub them than the series itself. This, however, is the Japanese release being imported to the West, so the commentary is going to be on there, but translating it would take way too much effort for what it's worth--especially in all the other languages as well.

Wait, it's hard to translate the commentary? Isn't it scripted?.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
So, um, you know that fanservice isn't nudity's sole purpose in anime, right? Especially with regards to the Magical Girl genre. Depending how it's used, it's also effective for illustrating innocence or purity.

I find it hard to see school girl nudity as "innocent" when Shinbo is involved... especially when symmetrical docking is also involved.
The nudey transformation in late night or OVA Magical Girl shows is a lot more lingering and gratuitous than something like Sailor Moon (see Nanoha, Magical Canan, Puny Puny Poemi...)

And Shinbo was also involved in the making of Nanoha... how can you say it was innocent?
Nanoha origins: H game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9