• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arata the Legend (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
Uh... could some one explain to me why showing those guys early is such a game breaker? I don't get it.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
I've read up to volume spoiler[12], and so far there has not been anything entirely plot critical in knowing the Shinshos' appearance in advance. However, knowing their appearance changes the narrative presentation in some significant ways.

1. Having a group of 12 mysterious people dressed uniformly in ceremonial robes and having their faces hidden suggests a united conspiracy backed by a council, while a number of people with significantly different appearances suggests factionalism and an alliance of convenience.

2. I'm not sure if the anime talked about it yet, but it's soon revealed that spoiler[the princess and the Shinsho are responsible for controlling their land in very direct ways with their power. The Shinshos' powers shape the territory they govern in significant ways.] Whenever Hinohara heads into a new territory, he is heading into the unknown. Keeping the Shinsho's appearance a secret helps keep the whole package of venturing into the unknown.

3. And then there's one instance where the appearance of the Shinsho is related to his character and backstory in a tangential way.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Uh... could some one explain to me why showing those guys early is such a game breaker? I don't get it.

I honestly thought it didn't really matter. Seemed to me that it was just that when that part came out in the manga, Watase hadn't done the character design for all 12 of them yet; the animators, on the other hand, know how they're supposed to look, and figured drawing them would be more interesting than vague shadows. xD
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
As always, so happy I never read manga first before watching anime. With that mindset, enjoying the first episode of this was a breeze.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
I honestly thought it didn't really matter. Seemed to me that it was just that when that part came out in the manga, Watase hadn't done the character design for all 12 of them yet; the animators, on the other hand, know how they're supposed to look, and figured drawing them would be more interesting than vague shadows. xD

Well it's abit anti-curiosity for the lack of a better word. As Ratfina had mentioned, the overall presentation and the feel of the series is somewhat taken away. But nevertheless it doesn't affect the series that much. But knowing what the shinshos appearance firsthand isn't as suspenseful.

I have to disagree though, I think Watase has drawn all of the shinshos its just that she presents them one by one in the manga and some are still kept secret. There are times that spoiler[some shinsho or shos has been interacting with the main characters but they don't know their true identity even the readers so its quite a revelation..]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
wasn't sure if i wanted to watch this, but after watching the first episode, i like it so far. I'll probably stick with this until the end but first i'll see where this goes in the next few episodes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Why does Arata appear spoiler[shirtless] to the people in Hinohara's world? Why not in Hinohara's school uniform?

I'm a little disappointed that we've seen so little of Arata in Hinohara's world as yet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
I agree about wanting to see more of the other Arata in the real world. Also, it's confusing. To people in the real world, does he look exactly like the Arata in his world? I.e. do people not see he has long black hair? Presumably not, or his mother and sister would have said something, right? Then I guess the same would be true in the other world.

As for why he appears to be shirtless - my assumption is he actually took off his jacket and shirt.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm confused. Why does Arata appear spoiler[shirtless] to the people in Hinohara's world?

As Blood- had guessed, Arata took it off when he escaped from the palace.
Blood- wrote:
I agree about wanting to see more of the other Arata in the real world. Also, it's confusing. To people in the real world, does he look exactly like the Arata in his world? I.e. do people not see he has long black hair? Presumably not, or his mother and sister would have said something, right? Then I guess the same would be true in the other world.

As for this, When both Arata switched places everyone in both dimension sees them as the Arata they have known appearance-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the confirmation - I assumed that was the case, but it's nice to know for sure rather than wondering about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm still confused. Maybe I missed it, but no one seems to be seeing Hinohara in his school uniform, they're seeing him in...? Whatever Arata was wearing when the swap happened? Otherwise everyone would be commenting about his weird clothes, especially spoiler[the peanut gallery at his trial].

So it shouldn't matter whether Arata took off the maiden's outfit and was running around shirtless or even naked, as far as Hinohara's Japan sees him. They should see a brown-haired guy in a school uniform, while we see a guy with long black hair in hammer pants or a loincloth or whatever (can't remember what he was wearing).

If you're saying Arata took off Hinohara's jacket and shirt, that makes even less sense, since he was never wearing them in the first place.

What am I missing here?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Magic!
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
^Arata took off his upper clothes in the manga whilst in the anime it was not shown. In regards to Hinohara's uniform, this wasn't touch upon on in both version so I was wondering about that as well.. lol
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
Well if they percieve each Arata as the other, maybe the clothes are included as well? So since Arata wasn't actually wearing any upper clothes, there wasn't a shirt to be seen as Hinohara's school uniform.

I'm more interested in what would happen if Kotoha tried to grab 'Arata's' long hair.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching this, only read the first volume of the manga.
It's pretty good, I think.

They didn't show ALL of the Shinsho's appearances. Some were behind screens in the trial scene. I was wondering why you could see some and not others, but I guess it's for dramatic tension. Anyway, if you know what they look like already, you could probably recognize them, but I didn't.

Going to try to follow the manga along with the anime - doing the same with Soul Eater (which I'm re-watching as it's on Adult Swim and reading the manga for the first time) and maybe Flowers of Evil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6