• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
LOL. I don't know if I should actually laugh or not but the latter half of this episode was comedy to me. Oh..just the part where..

spoiler:
spoiler[Shoko is alive]

Lol Sunrise Laughing . I actually thought this was some good comedy. Other that, the first half was actually intense and kinda liked the OP song. I'm also getting this Code Geass vibe now from watching this...oh Sunrise.

But on a more serious note, I am somewhat curious on the whole supernatural part of this show involving the vampiric themes and that spoiler[body switch]; for now at least.

Ah, this episode just gave me some good laughs. Man I needed some of that after a busy day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well...the second episode of Valvrave had even more self-aware elements, so I don't feel too guilty of laughing at them.

spoiler[Those include, but aren't limited to, the whole Shoko situation. ]

Other than that...at this point I'm still not sold on the actual content, unlike with Code Geass, but I do wonder where they'll take the whole thing about spoiler[the rival character apparently being forced into becoming an enemy of his nation against his own will, sooner or later, which made for a number of hilarious scene thanks to the obvious misunderstanding.]

I guess it might also be cool to see what else they do with the main character's powers and general circumstances now, though they haven't really explained anything yet. Most of the secondary characters didn't get a lot of focus either, but at least a couple of them started to be actively involved in the flow of events.

Overall, the episode provided a better viewing experience but the quality is still aiming rather low in most areas.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish I was getting Code Geass vibes from this. Unfortunately, all I feel are the Guilty Crown Blues.

I mean, how little sense does spoiler["oh, I'm a monster now" make? How does he come to that conclusion? And is JIOR just not occupied anymore? Did they pack up and leave, or... what? Did he subtly land the giant robot all of them are paying attention to in some abandoned area right next to the school/secret base we saw was filled with soldiers half an episode ago without anyone noticing?]
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
When he was using spoiler[L-Elf's body], he was spoiler[killing people. And I thought: wow, he's not a complete failure of a protagonist, which seems to be the new cool thing to do.] Once he was spoiler[back in his own body] and found out spoiler[Shoko was alive] he seemed to be reverting to pathetic. I don't know if spoiler[being in a killer's body made him capable, but I sure enjoyed THAT as the protagonist.]
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I wish I was getting Code Geass vibes from this. Unfortunately, all I feel are the Guilty Crown Blues.

People have been saying this elsewhere (including what I'm about to type in response), but I think at least the tone and atmosphere are very different from those of Guilty Crown's first few episodes. That was a lot more serious at the start and ultimately fell harder for it. This has superficially serious parts too, but mixes them up with more goofy material all across the board. That's one reason why it's not turning me off just yet.

Quote:

I mean, how little sense does spoiler["oh, I'm a monster now" make? How does he come to that conclusion? And is JIOR just not occupied anymore? Did they pack up and leave, or... what? Did he subtly land the giant robot all of them are paying attention to in some abandoned area right next to the school/secret base we saw was filled with soldiers half an episode ago without anyone noticing?]

It makes a tiny little bit of sense. spoiler[That is, provided you acknowledge the main character did go through a bunch of abnormal stuff beforehand, including getting himself killed yet somehow surviving. Also, going around killing people without much of a care. If nothing else, he needs to clear his head before committing to a relationship.

In fact, the rival character was literally pushing him about it (ie: I'm sure I killed you! You're a monster!). Without that intervention, I think he might have been more calm about this. Notice that even after Shoko came back, the protagonist wasn't automatically acting weak. Whatever the case, I think he might well come to terms with all this stuff eventually. ]

spoiler[I guess the occupying forces ran away from the "allied" ARUS fleet? That's the only relevant cue I could think of.]
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
When he was using spoiler[L-Elf's body], he was spoiler[killing people. And I thought: wow, he's not a complete failure of a protagonist, which seems to be the new cool thing to do.] Once he was spoiler[back in his own body] and found out spoiler[Shoko was alive] he seemed to be reverting to pathetic. I don't know if spoiler[being in a killer's body made him capable, but I sure enjoyed THAT as the protagonist.]

From what I understand;
spoiler[When he was in Elf's body, he gained the knowledge he had and possibly elements of the personality as well. As L-Elf is pretty much a trained killer, Haruto probably gained a bit of that heartless personality when he was in his body. When he reverted back to his own, he lost it. That's why he wimped out. ]

Mind you, this could be because of me misinterpreting a few lines here and there though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

People can complain all they want, but I actually enjoyed this. There are no shortage of twists, with spoiler[him body swapping and Shoko turning out to be okay making him kind of go passive], although I figured out the first rather quickly and the second seemed likely. I found that the opening, which was the ending last episode, was in a different light after the beginning of this episode.

What I don't get is people calling Haruto a wimp. He is a normal teenage boy, who's personality likely matches the passive country he lives in, and spoiler[totally lost it when his girl was supposedly killed.] What will happen to him now will be the deciding factor in what type a protagonist he will be, now that he is the pilot to a giant robot that may be the key to protecting his home. While it is unfortunate that he spoiler[wussed out of confessing to Shoko], he really did go through some messed up sh!t, like spoiler[body swapping and killing various people], normal people tend to get a little messed up by those sort of things.

While Shoko was cool in the first episode, I found the Saki to also be good in this episode. I actually hope for some more slice of life to try and expand these characters a bit more. On another note I don't quite get a Code Geass feeling, largely because Code Geass was so bleak that it was depressing, this show does not feel like that.
drdr48

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 2: Oh come on Sunrise, are you F kidding me?!

spoiler[She's alive?! The only thing I really liked about the first episode was that they've killed who seemed to be the main female character on the very first episode.

What a let down...]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I had higher hopes after the first episode, with spoiler[Shoko] getting killed and Haruto basically spoiler[selling his humanity in order to avenge her]. Now spoiler[she's alive] and he's not only spoiler[immortal] and has to spoiler[give her up to his new-found monstrosity], but there's also spoiler[body switching] abilities involved? This is all a bit too much drama to take in, even for me, who loved Code Geass. The only intriguing thing in this episode, for me, was L-Elf (how incredibly annoying are those names to my German ears) spoiler[committing betrayal without him knowing about it], and the prospects of what might follow.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This show should have been called Space Zombies The Anime Then maybe people wouldn't take it all that serious. It's so ridiculous and silly, yet I'm loving it. You really can't take this anime serious what so ever to really enjoy it. It's a dumb silly anime that goes way over the top and I'm having fun with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting episode start.
The spoiler[body switch thing] was a nice surprise.
It sure added an interesting twist to the plot.
spoiler[Haruto] really turned into a cold blooded killer fast.
Guessspoiler[ Shoko's death] had a big impact on him.
He is an amateur, but he's a quick learner as well.
spoiler[The special move] was really something!
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... this one is still very interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about spoiler[Shouko not being dead. On the one hand, I would be pretty impressed if the show had the balls to just extinguish her like that, but on the other hand I like the more subtle sadness of how Haruto has now essentially committed himself to a life of war for basically no reason. I may be giving the show a lot more credit that it deserves, but I think this may be commentary on the foolishness of those who choose to take up arms or enlist in a military during wartime. Actually, I will give it to the show, because there were several other pointers of this being a major theme (like the terms of use on the mech asking "do you resign as a human being?" Actually the whole vampire or whatever thing may be symbolic of what war does to people.]

I thought the spoiler[fake confession] thing was kind of bullshit, but then again, a lot of this show's appeal to me is comedy relying on off kilter, inappropriate timing. I really like how off beat this show is. I wouldn't say it's a parody, or even not serious, but it just has this warpedness to it that really works for me.

So far it's actually pretty dark, and even a tad cynical. I was surprised at how quickly and easily Saki Rukino and the greenish haired guy (I don't remember his name but he flew the helicopter) became very aggressive and violent, let alone Haruko himself. I think there's a bit of a statement in there.

spoiler[ As an aside, I suspect Saki will be the 3rd vertex of a love triangle between her, Haruko, and Shouko.]

Yeah, I'm still very much in this one. It's rowdy and bombastic in a very off balance way I like quite a bit, and there's a decent amount of stuff going on thematically under the surface, despite this being the kind of show where you wouldn't think of looking for that.

Last edited by Galap on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, spoiler[Haruto's a blood walker], just like spoiler[Christopher Cséjthe.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
This anime is pretty dark. If you guys this is a comedy, you are watching it wrong.
hate all you want. I'm loving it. This kind of anime is just for me. Don't worry Sunrise, I will suppose with $$$. $$$ > opinions.
Kastel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
This anime is pretty dark. If you guys this is a comedy, you are watching it wrong.
hate all you want. I'm loving it. This kind of anime is just for me. Don't worry Sunrise, I will suppose with $$$. $$$ > opinions.

Same. I don't understand why people are not realizing that the inclusion of Twitter is conforming to the ethics of realism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 32