• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valvrave the Liberator (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
This anime is pretty dark. If you guys this is a comedy, you are watching it wrong.
hate all you want. I'm loving it. This kind of anime is just for me. Don't worry Sunrise, I will suppose with $$$. $$$ > opinions.

Same. I don't understand why people are not realizing that the inclusion of Twitter is conforming to the ethics of realism.

?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
This show should have been called Space Zombies The Anime Then maybe people wouldn't take it all that serious. It's so ridiculous and silly, yet I'm loving it. You really can't take this anime serious what so ever to really enjoy it. It's a dumb silly anime that goes way over the top and I'm having fun with it.

Agreed. The entertainment value on this one is high for me. 666 - Laughing
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
I still don't know whether I'll enjoy this series as a whole, but this individual episode was fairly entertaining for me, at least for the most part. The main reason for this was that I found L-Elf rather insufferable during the first episode, spoiler[so it was gratifying to see him get branded as a traitor]. What detracted somewhat from an otherwise satisfying episode was spoiler[the aborted love confession]. I do understand his reasoning to an extent, but it still came across as contrived for the purpose of spoiler[romantic tension].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked how the meticulous creators with their hyper-attention to fonts included an "OD/OFF" button...
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the show so far....until the very end of episode 2.

spoiler[Haruto already gave me severe flashbacks to Shinn from GSD (which is not a good thing, under any circumstances) before the show dropped the emo-bomb on us.
But now they pull the "I'm a monster, I can't love her, waaaaaaah.Crying or Very sad" card?
That's the worst cliché in my book of anime tropes and I genuinely hate those kinds of characters. Hate them with a passion.
It's such a cheap narrative vehicle to put the protagonist into a situation of anger, confusion and sadness. Fueling his rage and lust for battle.
Oh, and how much do you wanna bet he's gonna turn to his other classmate now, because she accepts him as he is (even though Shoko would as well, obviously) and in the end he will reject her too, because he doesn't really love her and.....AUGH.]

If the show doesn't radically change its approach to the characters drastically within the next episode or two, I'll give up on this thing.
All the cheesiest, most enraging plot developments from every Gundam show ever, they're already written on the wall. I don't think I can handle this again. I don't need another date with Destiny in my life.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Sunrise presents: "Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to Do Look More Like: The Anime"

Or maybe, "Ibuprofen: The Anime"

In all seriousness, Valvrave really reminds me of Gundam SEED with vampires. Except I see this being painfully hilarious to watch rather than just painful.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Main character has some amazing facial expressions in the opening. He's really satisfied with himself around 3:24

Which is better then the serious, worried, and confused facial expressions everyone else has going on. No one looks happy to be in this show.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I liked how the meticulous creators with their hyper-attention to fonts included an "OD/OFF" button...

I can't remember if it was this one or Majestic Prince, but there was a "DEFFENSE" alert at some point.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
I look forward to the spoiler[body-swap] possibilities with Haruto in future episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
Well, typos and Engrish happen all the time, no big deal. But when you make attention to detail down to the font a plot point, it seems like you could at least spellcheck what's written in that font. Smile
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, typos and Engrish happen all the time, no big deal. But when you make attention to detail down to the font a plot point, it seems like you could at least spellcheck what's written in that font. Smile

You know, It's kind of odd that that happened (the OD/OFF thing), because if someone on the staff knew english, they probably would have spelled 'ON' right, and if no one knew english, they would have looked it up, in which case they would have seen it spelled "ON". Don't really see much room to mess that up.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
It's actually a pretty easy mistake to make since the "N" and "D" keys are close together.

spoiler[Did I cause you to look? I hope I did.]
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
This show should have been called Space Zombies The Anime Then maybe people wouldn't take it all that serious. It's so ridiculous and silly, yet I'm loving it. You really can't take this anime serious what so ever to really enjoy it. It's a dumb silly anime that goes way over the top and I'm having fun with it.

Agreed. The entertainment value on this one is high for me. 666 - Laughing

I meant to say Space Vampires but whatever that really changes nothing. I'm just waiting for the mechs to be werewolves or something at this point. I mean why not just make this as ridiculous a possible at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really get the "it overheats at 100, but if you keep pushing it past the point at which it should melt down and kill you: it'll be super strong!!!!!!" I understand that the way it opens up and stabs itself is probably a way of rapidly cooling down...but it should have exploded long before it reached 6+ times the overheating point.

Also, being in space (out of direct sunlight, since I don't recall seeing the sun) would be upwards of several hundred degrees colder than on Earth. Did they take that into consideration on the point at which it overheats? Can it still do its 666 thing on Earth?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
I probably won't watch this one out (my plate's already too full with series to watch this season), but damn, can this one throw out some crazy twists! I may have to revisit this a few months down the line just to see what other ridiculous stunts it pulls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 32