• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anti-Korean Manga Causes Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that some Japanese have bought this manga.

Korea and Japan have been fighting over land and history for centuries.

What is interesting is that many Japanese my age embrace anything korean. Heck they even like Kimchi (very spicy).

Its a never ending cycle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
krispy:
Quote:
but then when i think about it, do the japanese younger generation hate korea?

I don't think they hate Korea, but thanks to "re-education", they may be oblivious to the reason for the tension between the two countries. The Japanese really need an Asian Museum of Tolerance.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I'm not surprised that some Japanese have bought this manga.

It's a bestseller. That's a lotta "some."
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
100,000 copies is actually pretty small by manga standards in Japan. It's probably doing as well as Rapeman.
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't think they hate Korea, but thanks to "re-education", they may be oblivious to the reason for the tension between the two countries. The Japanese really need an Asian Museum of Tolerance.

I think they need real history classes, starting with the fact that about 80% of thier genes are Korean imports, including the about 100% of those belonging to the Imperial family. My source BtW is the new edition of Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, oh, and his wife is ethnically Japanese.

All the Best,

Nani?
Momoyuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
As a Korean myself, this really offends me, because that manga is about discrimination against Koreans.

However, Koreans (actually the South Korean government) are/is not innocent themselves. It disgusts me that the Korean government bans Japanese imports solely because they are Japanese. They have lifted the ban on certain things (mainly things video game related), but not completely. It also disgusts me that the greedy businessmen take advantage of the "Korea boom" in Japan are doing all that they can to make money... but that's their job anyway. I could understand if the manga was about hating the "Korea boom" (which I thought was the case from seeing the title), but the summary of the manga was about the character arguing about history in a touchy time period which should not be touched especially by the Japanese.

The Japanese (not all, but some) have been known to discriminate against those who are not "pure" Japanese (in other words, people who aren't Japanese at all or are just half-Japanese but are citizens), though I don't see how that makes any sense seeing that the "pure" Japanese aren't really pure at all. It makes me happy to see that people like Dave Aldwinckle fight against that kind of discrimination in Japan.

I don't get why these racists in Japan are trying to make relations between the two countries worse by irritating slowly healing wounds. I want Korea and Japan to get over the past, but that's what all younger generations want. The older generations and the governments just won't let go.

I just hope there isn't another incident like the one that happened in China not too long ago.
Somehow, it just seems to me as if the relationship between China and Japan is worse than the relationship between Korea and Japan... Sad
It'd be nice if all of them would just get along...
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
Momoyuki:
Quote:
It disgusts me that the Korean government bans Japanese imports solely because they are Japanese.

I can understand how they feel. I knew a Jewish guy who felt a little awkward that his relative was driving a Mercedes.

Quote:
I don't get why these racists in Japan are trying to make relations between the two countries worse by irritating slowly healing wounds.

That's how I feel about Koizumi.

Quote:
Somehow, it just seems to me as if the relationship between China and Japan is worse than the relationship between Korea and Japan...

Japan will take China's bs and love it, just like the rest of the world, because we need their sweatshops and billions of buyers. Taiwan and Tibet being independent is so late twentieth century.
HR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
Maby Japan is jealous because Korean movies latley have been really cool while recent movies from Japan all suck Cool Cool
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote
And yet Koizumi repeated the apology for the country's WWII actions instead of going to Yasukuni on the 15th this year, while North and South Korea got together to call Japan a "war criminal country." It all depends on how much victimization a given East Asian country needs to satisfy domestic political considerations that week. Though the majority of the justification may be historical, at this point the purpose of the rhetoric on all sides (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) has very little to do with actual history. Which is part of why, no matter how much Japan apologizes or how "honest" they are, as long as it's politically useful China and Korea will not forgive them. Which in turn provokes nuts like Fujioka Nobukatsu, the aforementioned Ishihara, and Kobayashi Yoshinori.

Nani? wrote:
I think they need real history classes, starting with the fact that about 80% of thier genes are Korean imports, including the about 100% of those belonging to the Imperial family.

I hear this a lot, and it seems obvious, but I just don't see why it matters. My family came to the US in 1625 and I don't consider myself English. Japanese people came to Japan what, 25,000 years ago, so I don't really think that makes much of a difference (aside from giving wackjob Koreans another reason to complain and wackjob Japanese another reason to revise history). Besides, Koreans today are not the same Koreans as Koreans 25,000 years ago either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Twage:
Quote:
And yet Koizumi repeated the apology for the country's WWII actions instead of going to Yasukuni on the 15th this year,

He still visited a shrine with war criminals.

Quote:
It all depends on how much victimization a given East Asian country needs to satisfy domestic political considerations that week.

The same can be said about Japan and the atomic bomb.

Quote:
Though the majority of the justification may be historical, at this point the purpose of the rhetoric on all sides (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) has very little to do with actual history.

Just history books.

Quote:
Which is part of why, no matter how much Japan apologizes or how "honest" they are, as long as it's politically useful China and Korea will not forgive them

You have a point. Japan also needs to pay up reparations.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You have a point. Japan also needs to pay up reparations.

Reparations? What for? Given that no person can be held accountable for the crimes of his forebears, I don't see why any Japanese should have to pay anything for crimes that were committed before they were born.

And if you say that we ARE responsible for the crimes of our forebears, then how far back do you go? Should the U.S. pay back wages (with interest) to blacks for the forced labor of their ancestors? Or maybe give back all the land to the few remaining natives? Should Italy pay reparations to France for the Roman conquest of Gaul?

The concept of "reparations" simply does not scale to nations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Dan:
Quote:
Given that no person can be held accountable for the crimes of his forebears, I don't see why any Japanese should have to pay anything for crimes that were committed before they were born.

Because many of the people who were used for slave labor and genocide and/or their families are still alive today? That's the reason Germany was forced to pay its own war crimes. The Swiss also had to give back the money stolen off Jews and deposited in their accounts. It sucks for the Swiss, but that's the price of justice.

Quote:
And if you say that we ARE responsible for the crimes of our forebears, then how far back do you go?

Well, if you read the news, Congress just officially apologized for refusing to take a stand on lynching. And yes, there are still survivors of those attacks alive today, as well as their families. Not to mention Clinton apologized for slavery.

Quote:
Should the U.S. pay back wages (with interest) to blacks for the forced labor of their ancestors?

Yes. Capitalism has nothing to do with slavery. (Well at least from a non-Marxist POV.) If certain businesses and entities didn't earn their wealth legitimately, then they are not playing the game, and are an affront to businesses which do follow the rules. You know, like Preston Bush and his war profiteering with the Nazis?

Quote:
Or maybe give back all the land to the few remaining natives?

Well actually, they are fighting in court for the land they were promised in legal agreements and/or their monetary value.

Quote:
Should Italy pay reparations to France for the Roman conquest of Gaul?

I think France's holy wars evened the score. France should probably pay for the Algerians and Vietnamese they killed, though. And Italy had to return the art they stole from Ethiopia during WW2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2