• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Also Streams Attack on Titan TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But there are people willing to pay for official things if they were available, and companies are not catering to them for fear of risk and non-profitable market, yet blame the befall of the industry on piracy and ilegal media. Well duh.

Good point well made. I'm fortunate as an anime fan, I live in the U.S. so I get all the shows on Crunchyroll, but I don't understand why so many non-Japan and non-U.S. fans get blocked especially considering, as you said, some would pay for the service if they could get access to the shows that other people receive.

As to other streaming site possibilities, I check the Daisuki site every few days, and it's just the announcement page still. With so many anime companies behind it, I'm expecting this to be a good thing once it gets off the ground.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Good point well made. I'm fortunate as an anime fan, I live in the U.S. so I get all the shows on Crunchyroll, but I don't understand why so many non-Japan and non-U.S. fans get blocked especially considering, as you said, some would pay for the service if they could get access to the shows that other people receive.

It's region laws. Companies are still stuck in the past and fail to realize that the internet basically eliminates distance barriers. Why we still have regions when anyone around the world with a free internet connection can access a site boggles me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
Then I guess the "real world" should adapt to the internet faster.

And about everything you said: How does that change anything that I said? You know, the "pirates will always win" part?
Nothing - because nothing can change it. Yes, the current remnants of the old order hold back streaming from its potential and avoid earning some dosh where it could be done, but your thinking's just as stuck in the past as regioning is. The future isn't in defeating the pirates(it's just not doable), but in winning too. This is essentially the path AoA's taken - at the price points of their physical releases, piracy is irrelevant while streaming serves more as advertisement that pays for itself. They may not be blazing the trail in pricing policy, but they've definitely got the basics of profiting in a pirate-infested world down.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Isn't this the first time Crunchyroll and Funi are streaming a show at the same time? This is a really big deal, and I hope ANN can get us some inside baseball report, so we'll know how likely this'll be in the future.

I love Funi's dubs, but CR really does the best streaming. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best of both worlds.

I assume that both companies are getting their subs from the same source, but if they are each paying for a separate translation that's something to keep an eye on. Did anyone watch both Funi and CR's versions of ep 1 and compare the wording?
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Isn't this the first time Crunchyroll and Funi are streaming a show at the same time? This is a really big deal, and I hope ANN can get us some inside baseball report, so we'll know how likely this'll be in the future.

I love Funi's dubs, but CR really does the best streaming. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best of both worlds.

I assume that both companies are getting their subs from the same source, but if they are each paying for a separate translation that's something to keep an eye on. Did anyone watch both Funi and CR's versions of ep 1 and compare the wording?

The subs ARE DIFFERENT between Funimation and Crunchyroll for episode 1!

Crunchyroll begins with, "That day, humanity remembered...the terror of being ruled by them. The humiliation of being kept in a cage."

While Funimation starts by subtitling, "Humanity was suddenly reminded that day...of the terror of being at their mercy...of the humiliation of being trapped in a cage..."

But episode 2 still isn't out on Funimation yet so perhaps they will pool their subtitling resources going forward? Will be fun to check.

So far they are NOT streaming at the same time, Funimation beat Crunchyroll by a few days for episode 1 but are now behind on episode 2...
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
leokiko wrote:
Then I guess the "real world" should adapt to the internet faster.

And about everything you said: How does that change anything that I said? You know, the "pirates will always win" part?

Nothing - because nothing can change it.

Except its clear that bootleg download rates drop substantially when there is a legit simulcast, and even more when that is a premier simulcast, so the claim of "nothing can change it" doesn't stand up to the evidence.

It would obviously be naive to expect bootlegging to entirely go away, but bootlegging lurking around in the dark corners and shadow can't be what "the pirates always win" means.

Consider a a garden choked and over-run with weeds and a well tended garden. In the first garden "the weeds are winning", in the second garden they are not. But the second garden is not completely weed free, its just that weeds are kept sufficiently under control that they do not choke out the growth of the plants that were planted for the garden.

The reason that region restrictions dominate this discussion is that is the primary factor that permits pirates to continue to be the dominant force in anime distribution in a large number of countries around the world. This same discussion in 2007 would have included many more reasons that the pirates would always win, with the principle one that pirates would always be able to subtitle episodes faster than North American licensees ever could.

CrowLia wrote:
Unsurprisingly, not available in my region, thank you very much. As many have noted in the CR Latin America forum, the amount of licenses available for the region haven't increased in the year since the service was launched, quite the contrary, they have seriously decreased in comparison to what the US gets.

Though note that the decline between Spring 2012 and Spring 2013 is not actually any loss in access to Latin American in particular. Spring 2012 were 5 out of 20 for Spanish America and the Caribbean and 6 out of 20 for Brasil. This Spring, its 7 out of 20 for both. The difference in availability, Season to Season, is entirely the worldwide outside of Japan SVOD terms that were added to five of the series in 2012 which weren't agreed to in Spring 2013.

While I am sure there are many who were hoping for quick and easy breakthroughs, it took over two years for Crunchyroll to go from a relative handful of simulcasts to a majority of series being broadcast in Japan, and then as soon as it hit that point there was a wave of exclusive streaming by home video distributors, and it got knocked back again, and took several more seasons to get to where it was persistently over half.

Expecting them to achieving a big breakthrough in Latin American licenses in only a year would be unrealistic, and indeed expecting it to happen as a big breakthrough could well be unrealistic. Its more likely to be an advance made international licensor by international licensor, getting those who have don't included Latin America at all, like Showgate, Media Factory and TBS, to include it (and note that getting the two TBS series was itself a small breakthrough, as those had previously been going out as TAN exclusives), and getting those who have included Latin American on some licenses, like Aniplex and Attack on Titan's Kodansha, to included it on all or most licenses.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

The subs ARE DIFFERENT between Funimation and Crunchyroll for episode 1!

Crunchyroll begins with, "That day, humanity remembered...the terror of being ruled by them. The humiliation of being kept in a cage."

While Funimation starts by subtitling, "Humanity was suddenly reminded that day...of the terror of being at their mercy...of the humiliation of being trapped in a cage..."

But episode 2 still isn't out on Funimation yet so perhaps they will pool their subtitling resources going forward? Will be fun to check.

So far they are NOT streaming at the same time, Funimation beat Crunchyroll by a few days for episode 1 but are now behind on episode 2...

Wow. So it's safe to assume that Funi probably had no knowledge of CR's streaming rights for AoT until the rest of us found out, and that their translations and localizations of the show will differ.

I haven't watched either stream, and frankly, I wasn't even all that interested in trying out AoT. (I usually watch 2-3 streaming anime a season, and right now I'm dazzled by a litany of choices).
The language geek in me is completely intrigued by this development. From the sample first sentence hpulley provided, Funi seems to be taking an elegant route, with better flow, while CR is more technical.

If Funi keeps their stream Elite exclusive, I won't be able to watch it, but maybe I'll watch it on CR and try to keep track of the differences somehow. It'll be an interesting exercise in the art of translation from a professional level.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Wow. So it's safe to assume that Funi probably had no knowledge of CR's streaming rights for AoT until the rest of us found out, and that their translations and localizations of the show will differ.

They may have known, but it does seem like they are parallel, non-exclusive licenses, rather than a sublicensing arrangement.

That may be a case of "Now witness the power of our fully operational subscriber base!", if the discounted MG that it seems Crunchyroll would offer for non-exclusive first week SVOD rights and non-exclusive streaming from the following week is now sufficient to cover independent contracting costs, materials delivery costs, and independent subtitling.

This goes along with Cruncyroll apparently getting an independent streaming license for the two TBS streams this season, which AFAIR were previously going to TheAnimeNetwork, sometimes as exclusives and sometimes appearing on Crunchyroll with a week delay.

Agent355 wrote:
If Funi keeps their stream Elite exclusive, I won't be able to watch it, but maybe I'll watch it on CR and try to keep track of the differences somehow. It'll be an interesting exercise in the art of translation from a professional level.

The Funimation announcement says its an SVOD license, so they can't stream it to free members on their site or on Hulu Free ... though I guess they might be able to stream it on HuluPlus, which I think would qualify as a premium streaming video on demand channel, despite the ads.

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Despite browsing Funimation's website looking for information, I can't figure out what benefits/exclusives Elite subscribers have besides access to more episodes than free users. Does Funi have its own streaming program (as far as I can tell, everything streams through Hulu)? Does it allow you to stream shows ad free? Do they even use Youtube to stream full eps anymore?

Funi's online strategy has changed many times, and they just don't make these things clear.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
That was fast. I mean really fast. I had went to CR last week and they didn't even have a listing for it yet. Then there was the Funi announcement. So definitely going to try checking it out today.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Despite browsing Funimation's website looking for information, I can't figure out what benefits/exclusives Elite subscribers have besides access to more episodes than free users. Does Funi have its own streaming program (as far as I can tell, everything streams through Hulu)? Does it allow you to stream shows ad free? Do they even use Youtube to stream full eps anymore?

Funi's online strategy has changed many times, and they just don't make these things clear.

Yes, Funimation has their own streaming player ~ its pretty much the same one that free members see if they stream a series before it gets up on Hulu. Its ad-free to subscribers, and supports 480p or 720p. With the subscription, the Roku channel has most simulcasts and complete catalog series rather than teasers of two or four episodes.

The main selling point they push is the expanded dubbing access, but since I'm not a big dub watcher, I don't set much weight on that.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Subs still different between Funimation and Crunchyroll as of episode 2...

Crunchyroll, "Over a hundred years ago, humanity suddenly found itself with a new predator."

Funimation, "Over a century ago, beings that prey on humans suddenly appeared."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4