• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ar-moe-geddon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:

Thats the next stage of the Harem Anime - Multi-Harem. tons of Guys & tons of Girls - everyone watches & everyone screws....except Poonk who is 'socially shaming' others

Dear crazy person,

I'm fine with you vomiting your socially backwards paleolithic garbage all over the place - I've let even more idiotic nonsense slide before, often from you - but the minute you get into calling another user "sweetie" and "princess" in a condescending manner simply because you know she's a woman is where I have to draw the line on your out-of-control sexism.

Knock it off or you're out of here again. Calm down.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:

I'll tell you a perfect a Perfect example: "The Vampire Diaries" (on TV). EVERYONE is Hot on that show. Seriously, I'd bang every chick on that show (except April) -and the dudes all look like "Ken Dolls" & hair models. If I had Mystiques power of "Shape-shifting" I'd look like one of these dudes.

Except your rotten personality would shine through and you'd still never get laid.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
poonk wrote:

Though I understand and appreciated your intent, I (as a female-type-person) do especially appreciate the boys who call out the misogynists. I'm a big proponent of social shaming when it comes to truly shame-worthy behavior (like misogyny, racism, nationalism, etc.). No mercy for the A-holes, I guess?

I am "openly" incendiary

How hilariously predictable. More, please.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kastel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
RogerSterling wrote:
Thats the next stage of the Harem Anime - Multi-Harem. tons of Guys & tons of Girls - everyone watches & everyone screws....except Poonk who is 'socially shaming' others

isn't that shinsekai yori
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

Read this and tell me that's not misogyny. That might be the most extreme example posted in this thread, but there are others too. I filter that kind of person out of my life. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that everyone can filter that kind of person away.

I dont equate his views on women with moe. He wasnt some normal person then all of a sudden Haruhi Suzumiya turned him into some caricature of a man from the 1950's.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
RogerSterling wrote:

I'll tell you a perfect a Perfect example: "The Vampire Diaries" (on TV). EVERYONE is Hot on that show. Seriously, I'd bang every chick on that show (except April) -and the dudes all look like "Ken Dolls" & hair models. If I had Mystiques power of "Shape-shifting" I'd look like one of these dudes.

Except your rotten personality would shine through and you'd still never get laid.

Just a personal question to everyone on the forums I do not have the same personality as roger or as most creepy anime fans. I don't brag or talk about my hobby much unless I know the person or online and yet I have yet to even have relationship with a girl outside of being "just friends".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I don't equate his views on women with moe. He wasnt some normal person then all of a sudden Haruhi Suzumiya turned him into some caricature of a man from the 1950's.

I'm in total agreement. The effect that a certain movement such as the one geared toward moe fans isn't present on an individual level, but on a cultural level. People can separate fantasy and reality, and sexists will probably be sexists until they learn from experience. But the role fantasy plays in culture is both subtle and important. People craft fantasies with "ideal" versions of characters that they believe the audience will also think is ideal, and audiences who grow up with certain fantasies will be more receptive to similar ones. In general, this kind of thing tends to create a feedback loop which affects the overall desirability of certain personality traits, and honestly, I wish that stronger character traits in women were more emphasized, not only in anime, but also in many Western TV shows and movies.

I also want to say something in praise of this podcast. I thought both members of the discussion were remarkably civil and clear in their arguments especially in discussing something as sensitive as this topic. I feel like I better understand the appeal of moe to its fans, even if I've never felt it myself. I also better understand why it can be such a sensitive topic; the emotions I feel when experiencing a truly great science fiction work are pretty personal, and I'd imagine the feelings a moe fan has toward a character or show aren't so different. It was a worthwhile listen at the very least.

Last edited by Ghost_Wheel on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Read this and tell me that's not misogyny. That might be the most extreme example posted in this thread, but there are others too. I filter that kind of person out of my life. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that everyone can filter that kind of person away.

Your first problem is taking RogerSterling seriously. It's fairly obvious he's a troll (or at least, a very disturbed individual) Any other non-troll examples?

Quote:
Yes, let's mention a non-existent problem and pretend it's equivalent.

So.. you're saying misandry doesn't exist, or what? You apparently got so upset over that small bit you ignored the rest of the statement.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Any other non-troll examples?

I intentionally picked out the worst example for a reason. Do you really want me to start naming names?

TitanXL wrote:
So.. you're saying misandry doesn't exist, or what?

Please tell me how misandrist fujoshi used their power and influence to silence and harass you.

Charred Knight wrote:
I don't equate his views on women with moe. He wasnt some normal person then all of a sudden Haruhi Suzumiya turned him into some caricature of a man from the 1950's.

Oddly enough, I didn't make the argument you seem to think I did. No where did I say that moe inspires misogyny. Rather, there are moe fans who happen to be misogynists.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This whole thread is better then a movie at times. I often will watch half of a TV show i'm behind on during my break, but this whole thread is by far much more entertaining. I can say in all honesty this thread has made me feel better about myself. so thank you for that Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
I intentionally picked out the worst example for a reason. Do you really want me to start naming names?

I'd rather have proof that these people you'll name are in some kind of majority and not a vocal minority, but sure.

Quote:
Please tell me how misandrist fujoshi used their power and influence to silence and harass you.

Er, what has the opposing group done to you, exactly? How do you silence someone in the anime fandom, exactly?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Er, what has the opposing group done to you, exactly? How do you silence someone in the anime fandom, exactly?

If you're gonna be throwing around "misandry" if you don't even understand why misogyny is a problem...
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I'd rather have proof that these people you'll name are in some kind of majority and not a vocal minority, but sure.

Do I seriously need to quote myself from a couple pages back: "Like, no offense, but they've been a few raging misogynists moe fans in this thread. I happen to think they are in the minority... but I also filter them out of my life so my experience is biased."

Here's the thing. I don't care what the percentage is because they happen to be rather loud. There are female anime fans who like moe and those who dislike it (and all in-between). When loud misogynist voices dominate the discussion, it can discourage some of them from participating. Which, to a large extent, is one of their goals. I'm not comfortable with that being the case in anime fandom. So it must be opposed.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

For example, I use searchable archives to look at 4chan so I don't have to wade through crap about "bitches and whores" when I just want to talk to my fellow T&B fans about how Barnaby is really awesome. Don't shrug and go "lol 4chan" either. 4chan is one of the few Barnaby-positive places on the English-speaking web. Why should I have to avoid it because people are jerks?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

If you're gonna be throwing around "misandry" if you don't even understand why misogyny is a problem...

They are both a problem in society. If i do recall there was one episode of the talk where woman where laughing and cheering for the fact some guy's Johnson got chopped off. To add even more insult it was thrown garbage disposal then turned on and chop to bits because the guy asked for divorce.

Now don't tell me that's not misandry because there is no way a guy could get away with joking about mutilating woman on national t.v. I do not deny that misogny exist either because it does but we do need to recognize that both exist and try to tone it down or stop it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 77