• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thriller Genre

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Thriller has been removed from the genre search. Was this an accident? More important: if removed, would anyone miss it? This seems to be one of the cases that in theory it sounded just fine, but on practice doesn't really work. When presented on the NEW GENRES thread, no objections were made. But no comments either. Wouldn't it be better if it just merged with action?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Wouldn't it be better if it just merged with action?

I don't think that would make sense. Perfect Blue, for instance, is a great example of a thriller but a terrible example of an action film.

For an even better (albeit non-anime) example, take a look at Alfred Hitchcock's filmography. Most of those films are thrillers but how many of them could you really call action films?
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I don't think that would make sense. Perfect Blue, for instance, is a great example of a thriller but a terrible example of an action film.

For an even better (albeit non-anime) example, take a look at Alfred Hitchcock's filmography. Most of those films are thrillers but how many of them could you really call action films?

Dan42 wrote:
thriller (race against the clock)
Story characterized by a thrilling, nearly unbroken sense of urgency and suspense, where the hero seems outclassed by the villain or at his mercy. There is often a race against the clock to thwart the villain.

You are right. The keyword here is suspense. What if mystery merged with thriller? Transform mystery to mystery/thriller or mystery/suspense?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Huh, looks like I overlooked that genre when I made the genre search interface. I'll fix it asap.

Poor overlooked thriller genre Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Hm... No wonder it was overlooked. Selecting Thriller alone on the genre search you get four results. Three are anime.

8.95 thriller Death Note (TV) 2006-10-03 to 2007-06-27
8.03 thriller Perfect Blue (movie) 1997
7.82 thriller Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (movie) 1998-10-06
thriller Oldboy (Korean movie) 2003
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1