• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox News on Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeRonin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Jonathan Hung wrote:
The only way manga is going to make it here is when they make it live action.
I think he mis-spoke. If you read it in context, they are talking about theatrical movies. It should probably read more like:

"The only way [anime] is going to make it [in theaters] is when they make it live action."
I see. I think I may have misinterpreted that quote by Hung.

Thanks, Ramen! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"The only way [anime] is going to make it [in theaters] is when they make it live action."

Of course it is no longer anime at that point.

Kinda like saying "The only way French movies will make it here is if we remake them in English"
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Ataru wrote:
Quote:
Simply, manga (rhymes with "bang-a")

I'm sorry, I had to stop there becasue my sides start to turn a blood red. Back at..
Quote:
is Japanese for "comics." Dishpan-sized eyes, samurai-like movements and girls in microscopic miniskirts are a few of its tell-tale elements.
Thanks Fox. If it wasn't for Bill O'Raily, I would so block you.

Was this internet only or did air on TV?

Actually, i pronounce "manga" as in the element "Manganese". That rhymes with "Bang-a", but I don't know where they pulled that one from....
I always hear it as "monga" where the "a" is phonically sounding like "ah" whenever it is spoken in Japanese. So I say it that way too.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Once again, Fox did a horrible story. Sure there was one or two points; but the fact remains that anime only gets limited releases; which causes a small box-office gross. I've said this a few times before: if "Cowboy Bebop: the Movie" had a wide release, it could've made HUGE money; not just $1 million.
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
How did the Pokemon movies fair? I uh... went to a couple *cough* and the cinema was packed each time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I love the FoxBashing. It's so cute and hip, really.

What is wrong with the article? Hung is absolutly correct. Do you think that an animated "Spider-man" would have done so well at the box office? Howl's was a wonderful movie, but wasn't going to get a wider release unless it was live action with Christian Bale himself playing Howl or if Disney had made it themselves.

Quote:
Technically, you can bring a Superman comic to Japan, and it will be referred to as "manga." But nobody's bringing Superman comics to Japan. And everybody's bringing manga to America.

Thats the crux of the article and in the shift in popular entertainment. If/when Fruits Basket makes it to the Top 50 on the NYTimes Bestseller List, you're going to see a lot more articles.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
06falcon wrote:
its this type of article that makes me hate fox news.

Is there any other kind? Seriously, Fox News is horrible.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
06falcon wrote:
its this type of article that makes me hate fox news.

Is there any other kind? Seriously, Fox News is horrible.

Enough. Back up your opinions with relevant facts, or don't bother posting.
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
1. Manga is available almost every bookstore that exists, even in Suncoast, which specialized in DVD and VHS sales. On the other hand, Anime films are released in a very limited range of Movie Theatres.

2. Nowadays, a movie ticket costs just as much as one Manga. Sometimes even more. O_O In other words, while Manga is portable, and accessible anywhere, a chance to watch Anime Films is not quite as simple.

3. With the exception of Howl's Moving Castle, the releases of other previous Anime Films were not brand new or fresh from Japan. Instead Manga are being translated into English and are already catching up with the volume releases in Japan. For example, Tsubasa Chronicles.

4. Some Anime fans prefer subtitles over dubbed-in-English Anime Films. While some prefers the opposite. It is understandably difficult to accomodate everyones' preferences...hhmm...

5. Finally, Poor Advertisement. I've seen all the Anime Films that made to American theatres, but that was only because I heard about it and researched it's limited whereabouts.

I have never seen an Anime trailer in any of the previews during the other movies i've seen.

Nonetheless, I believe that there are MANY factors that should be considered when it comes down to discussing about Anime in North America.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
No mention that in spite of vertually no advertising and very limited theatre distribution, the real reason for such a poor boxoffice take, Spirited Away still won the Oscar in 2003. The same is happening to "Howl's Moving Castle" Typical tabloid journalism. "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." Rolling Eyes The real test will be when one of these "live action" anime's hits the screens. You can just imagine their excuse if it bombs?

Hey, now! Di$ney knows that movies like Valiant and Chicken Little =box office gold. Well hopefully Chicken Little after Valiant's pitiful take last weekend. :)

Jmays:
Quote:

I dunno. Like Bill O' Reilly telling Jews to go to Israel if they didn't feel comfortable in the U.S. Or having Anne Coulter on, even though she suggested McVeigh blow up the NY Times building. Here's a recent one: In what Fox News officials concede was a mistake, John Loftus, a former U.S. prosecutor, gave out the address Aug. 7, saying it was the home of a Middle Eastern man, Iyad K. Hilal, who was the leader of a terrorist group with ties to those responsible for the July 7 bombings in London.

Hilal, whom Loftus identified by name during the broadcast, moved out of the house about three years ago. But the consequences were immediate for the Voricks.

Satellite photos of the house and directions to the residence were posted online. The Voricks told police, who arranged for the content to be taken down. Someone even removed the street sign where the Voricks live to provide some protection.

Still, it has not been easy.

A driver yelled a profanity at the family and called them terrorists as they barbecued on their patio Aug. 14. Some drivers have stopped and photographed the house, Randy Vorick said.

Last weekend, someone spray-painted "Terrist" on their home. Police, who have regularly patrolled their house since the day after the broadcast, now station a squad car across the street.[/url]
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Once again, Fox did a horrible story. Sure there was one or two points; but the fact remains that anime only gets limited releases; which causes a small box-office gross. I've said this a few times before: if "Cowboy Bebop: the Movie" had a wide release, it could've made HUGE money; not just $1 million.

I agree with that. At the theater where I saw the CB movie, the theater was packed. People knew about CB from Cartoon Network. It wasn't like it had never been shown anywhere on TV. So why couldn't it have been a bigger hit?

Tammy
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mohawk:
Quote:
No mention that in spite of vertually no advertising and very limited theatre distribution, the real reason for such a poor boxoffice take, Spirited Away still won the Oscar in 2003. The same is happening to "Howl's Moving Castle" Typical tabloid journalism. "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." Rolling Eyes The real test will be when one of these "live action" anime's hits the screens. You can just imagine their excuse if it bombs?

Hey, now! Di$ney knows that movies like Valiant and Chicken Little =box office gold. Well hopefully Chicken Little after Valiant's pitiful take last weekend. Smile

Jmays:
Quote:

I dunno. Like Bill O' Reilly telling Jews to go to Israel if they didn't feel comfortable in the U.S. Or having Anne Coulter on, even though she suggested McVeigh blow up the NY Times building. Here's a recent one: In what Fox News officials concede was a mistake, John Loftus, a former U.S. prosecutor, gave out the address Aug. 7, saying it was the home of a Middle Eastern man, Iyad K. Hilal, who was the leader of a terrorist group with ties to those responsible for the July 7 bombings in London.

Hilal, whom Loftus identified by name during the broadcast, moved out of the house about three years ago. But the consequences were immediate for the Voricks.

Satellite photos of the house and directions to the residence were posted online. The Voricks told police, who arranged for the content to be taken down. Someone even removed the street sign where the Voricks live to provide some protection.

A driver yelled a profanity at the family and called them terrorists as they barbecued on their patio Aug. 14. Some drivers have stopped and photographed the house, Randy Vorick said.

Last weekend, someone spray-painted "Terrist" on their home. Police, who have regularly patrolled their house since the day after the broadcast, now station a squad car across the street.[/url]

What does any of that have to do with the manga/film adaptions thereof artice?

Or are we deliberatly trying to get the thread off track, because if you inserted CNN or MSNBC into that story, you'd have never mentioned it.

Last edited by The Ramblin' Wreck on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mohawk:
Quote:

Hey, now! Di$ney knows that movies like Valiant and Chicken Little =box office gold. Well hopefully Chicken Little after Valiant's pitiful take last weekend. Smile

Jmays:
Quote:

Yes, & this is why I never watch Fox News. It's not news--it's more like pro-Wrestling.

Tammy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote

I'd say GATSU was trying to point out that Fox News is not a reliable source of information of any kind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I'd say GATSU was trying to point out that Fox News is not a reliable source of information of any kind.

Fine. I'll bite cause I'm bored.

"If the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house."

Those were the immortal words of the Rev. Al Sharpton during the Crown Heights crisis in New York City in 1991. A car driven by a Hasidic Jew had run over a black child in the Brooklyn neighborhood, prompting black-Jewish tensions that eventually spilled over into antisemitic riots. Sharpton's contribution to civic peace was statements like the above, together with such classic anti-Jewish smears as: "Talk about how Oppenheimer in South Africa sends diamonds straight to Tel Aviv and deals with the diamond merchants right here in Crown Heights."

-Rich Lowery

http://www.nationalreview.com/lowry/lowry200312030840.asp

You know, I think I've seen him on the news before. Maybe even giving his opinion on some shows. I guess it's fine for him, but bad for Coulter (a bestselling author)?

CNN: Ex-Reporter recalls CNN Executives Grovelling Before Saddam

http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030416.asp#3

Do I even need to bring up Rathergate or how about Operation Tailwind?

Last edited by The Ramblin' Wreck on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6