• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
Nooo!!

What about my cute moe girls? Anime cry

99% hardcore Kyoani fans thinking this Laughing Laughing Laughing Some are already anticipating that it can still be very moe (possible indeed), lets hope you guys (Japanese diehard kyonai fans) go in mass to buy the blu-rays and celebrate the guys birthdays with cakes and have them as nice desktop BG Laughing

Last edited by dan9999 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

So, women can't watch Hyouka, Chuunibyou, or Nichijou because it's for guys only?

Women can watch whatever they want. That doesn't make them the target audience or the shows you mentioned particularly gender neutral. (Well, perhaps Hyouka is somewhat arguable...)

I feel both sexes were the target audiences for those shows.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
This moe vs bishonoen debate is a bit fruitless, don't you think? A show shouldn't be judged on a two PV's.

That being said, KyoAni certainly is going out on a limb. While there are gender-neutral shows like Haruhi and Hyouka, it's still extremely evident that they're for a male audience. The merchandise is geared for a male audience. It's the same over here; 'is a children's anime appealing to eight year old boys? Yes? Perfect. Oh, girls watch it, too? That's nice.'

We don't even know the plot. For all we know, this could be a gem just waiting to be mined. Or it could be a total bomb. Either way, this'll be a very interesting shift in the norm for KyoAni. BD's go through the roof, we might just see more blatantly female oriented shows. If not, that's that.

It's just a bit irritating to see people hating a company and show solely because 'Oh, eye candy for girls? Of course it's going be s***.'
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
Shattix123 wrote:
OMG the anime industry is really going down...seems like now i have the time to to graduate from college :/

Nagh, get used to it, cute moe girls will go down one level or two during the next years, to bearable levels.

Face it, it was no linger working for Kyoani as it used, after flops, merely ok and only chuu2 and with only 15k+...here we are, fujoshi territory Surprised I t will be a hit for Kypani definitely, 25k+ from the fujoshi I am anticipating.

RyanSaotome wrote:
All I'll say is I really hope all the people who were clamoring for this and talking about how they'd support KyoAni if they actually made it weren't just all talk and just end up pirating it. This is a huge risk for KyoAni.

Ha, so Kyoani fans now clamoring for its failure Laughing Dont worry, the fujoshi will oblige, hugely, they are on par with the hardcore male otaku as far as money is concerned.

Last edited by dan9999 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
I find it hilarious how the majority reaction to this announcement is, "the characters are male and I am also male, thus I cannot watch this show without professing my homosexuality."

Hilarious, and also sad. Does watching any form of entertainment involving characters with the same gender as you make you feel just as insecure? This is KyoAni we're talking about; the animation is going to be lovely, the fan-service will be tasteful, and if we're lucky we might get a great sports / underdog story out of the deal as well.

Try less knee-jerking and more open mindedness and you'll find that there is lot's of great entertainment out there that, shockingly, doesn't actually require you to reassess your sexual orientation to enjoy.
AJMkarate717

zeo1fan wrote:

A number of men react negatively to what they perceive as their objectification, but expect women to tolerate it when it happens to them. Double standard; rather simple.

Yes, technically it may be a double standard of sorts. But there is a long history of objectification, othering, discrimination, and second-classing of women that makes current media objectification particularly problematic. There is no such overarching harmful culture that had resulted in the persecution of men; no horrible, culturally-ingrained stereotypes or societal norms this series is perpetuating. The objectification of women is much more harmful and, frankly, important to notice and fight at this time because of the uphill battle women are still facing. Is male objectification problematic? Yes. But it's currently much, much, MUCH lower on the list of things we need to be concerned about. I don't see men getting treated any differently any time soon because of the culture this show perpetuates. Definitely can't say the same for women.
Maidenoftheredhand

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Um no. It is pretty clear when an anime is aimed at male Otaku in Japan.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
ArmchairTitan wrote:
I find it hilarious how the majority reaction to this announcement is, "The characters are male and I am also male, thus I cannot watch this show without professing my homosexuality."

Its not so much as "Professing my homosexuality" as much as theres nothing really of interest to me in a show about guys swimming. Its cool that women may like it, but I need to have a hook to watch something.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Um no. It is pretty clear when an anime is aimed at male Otaku in Japan.

Then what are the gender-neutral series? And what made them so clearly aimed at men to the exclusion of a female demographic?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Then what are the gender-neutral series?

None from Kyoani

Keep in mind though that just because a series primary targey audience is male doesn't mean women can't enjoy it as well or vice versa.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
musouka wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Anyone could watch Hyouka, Haruhi, Chuunibyou, Nichijou, or Tamako Market.

Ah yes, gender-neutral as in, "watch the stuff aimed at male-otaku, but isn't blatantly fanservicey like a good chunk of the other stuff out there!" Good old male-default. I think we'll be seeing a lot of you in this thread!

So, women can't watch or enjoy Hyouka, Chuunibyou, or Nichijou because it's for guys only?

Then what out there is gender-neutral?

Girls can watch and enjoy they but WONT BUY them. Everyone here know who are the ones buying those blu-rays.

Last edited by dan9999 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its not so much as "Professing my homosexuality" as much as theres nothing really of interest to me in a show about guys swimming. Its cool that women may like it, but I need to have a hook to watch something.

Which is completely fair. If you don't like sports / competition or swimming as genres then there is no reason to force yourself to watch it. I am more talking about people who already hate the show simply because the characters are not cute girls.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Girls can watch and enjoy they but DON'T BUY them. Everyone here know who are the ones buying those blu-rays.

Reminds me of some of the complaints floating around when T&B was a success (and said success was credited to fujoshi support) where fanboys were getting upset that fujoshi were willing to buy and make fanart for T&B, but were only willing to make fanart for Madoka (supposedly).
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Nagh, get used to it, cute moe girls will go down one level or two during the next years, to bearable levels.

Face it, it was no linger working for Kyoani as it used, after flops, merely ok and only chuu2 and with only 15k+...here we are, fujoshi territory Surprised I t will be a hit for Kypani definitely, 25k+ from the fujoshi I am anticipating.
The only "flops" that you can point to are Nichijou (which happened to be in the top 50 manga volumes the year of it's airing) and Tamako Market (with its 6 weeks of promotion). Everything else has sold well, unless you're only thinkin BD/DVD sales mean that's literally the only money they're receiving from purchasers. You also ignore the fact that everything since Hyouka is an original production from KyoAni, meaning they receive a higher amount of the revenue than before, even if disc sales are lower.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
ArmchairTitan wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Which is completely fair. If you don't like sports / competition or swimming as genres then there is no reason to force yourself to watch it. I am more talking about people who already hate the show simply because the characters are not cute girls.
It's still a valid thing, anything is. I don't hate gay people but I don't want to watch anime about a group of guys half naked together. Not saying that makes them gay and I'll probably watch episode 1 but chances are it will be a very uncomfortable thing to watch none-the-less. I also don't care for swimming anyway. I watched Kimi to Boku and really enjoyed both seasons of it so it's not just the fact that it's all guys, it's the combination of all guy+swimming for me.But there are people who don't watch moe anime because it's cute girls, lots of people actually. It's the same situation but reversed.

Last edited by Kougeru on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 58