• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

I watched both. I dropped Brave 10 a few episode in because there was far too much focus on the pretty boys for my liking... and Ixion Saga DT was a fun watch, but it was aimed at the female audiences no question since it got all the big male seiyuus together, even having them sing together and that ED where a lot of the male characters were half naked. Only female character of note to attract male audiences was the loli.

Ryan Saotome's version of for women:

It has male characters and seiyuu, obviously it is for women.

Since Sailor Moon had mostly all female cast I guess that makes it for men too huh?

There is no way in hell Ixion Saga was aimed at female viewers. But okay, keep dreaming!

Do you think a show full of cute moe girls with big time female seiyuu with one male character would be aimed at women?

Seiyuu choice shows a lot about who its aimed at. Getting a lot of the most popular male seiyuus all together is done to grab the female audience.

*40,821 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's Go ED"

Yeah I'm sure it was only men that bought that CD with all the popular male seiyuu singing. Its probably men who also bought about 50k copies of that UtaPri 2 CD, too.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Do you think a show full of cute moe girls with big time female seiyuu with one male character would be aimed at women?

Seiyuu choice shows a lot about who its aimed at. Getting a lot of the most popular male seiyuus all together is done to grab the female audience.

*40,821 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's Go ED"

Plus, I'm sure it was only men that bought that CD with all the popular male seiyuu singing. Its probably men who also bought about 50k copies of that UtaPri 2 CD, too.

Because only men can like female seiyuu and only women can like male seiyuu right?

Your level of thinking is so immature it is ridiculous.

The show was full of potty type humor. It was making fun of bishounen characters (but none of the characters were actually bishounen). This wasn't Ouran High School Host Club

And there were female characters besides the Princess.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think the point I made earlier is just rearing its head--just arbitrarily picking a show as "male" or "female" oriented is not going to work. And looking at the sales number, this seems to be the case at least for Ixion Saga at 54% DVD. I'd be a little more inclined to think otherwise if it was like, Hakuoki-levels. But even if we normalize it according to that list, there are still a lot of titles that doesn't seem to fit the mold of an "aimed at women" kind of a setup.

I mean Inu x Boku SS is a great example that seems to pander both ways, and the 50% DVD number seems to support that assumption.

Which goes to say, without seeing the other data points where DVD% is < 50%, we can't really draw the conclusion about female buyers and DVD sales conclusively. Plus, we already gave some concessions to exceptions, what can we really say about specific specimens without knowing when to make exceptions?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, Ixion Saga DT can be enjoyed by both genders obviously. I'm just talking about the main demographic it was being aimed at, which I'm 100% confident was women.

The show was full of potty type humor. It was making fun of bishounen characters (but none of the characters were actually bishounen). This wasn't Ouran High School Host Club

So was Gintama (which had the same director as Ixion Saga actually), which is a massive hit among female audiences. They don't even bother making BDs for it since they know it'll mainly be female audiences that buy it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Well, Ixion Saga DT can be enjoyed by both genders obviously. I'm just talking about the main demographic it was being aimed at, which I'm 100% confident was women.

So was Gintama (which had the same director as Ixion Saga actually), which is a massive hit among female audiences. They don't even bother making BDs for it since they know it'll mainly be female audiences that buy it.

And I am 100% confident you are wrong.

Gintama might be popular with women in the way a lot of shounen series are but it is also not aimed at women.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Really?

Genre
Action Adventure Comedy Fantasy Shoujo
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Really?

Genre

Oh come on. You aren't seriously referencing MangaUpdates for that, are you?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Really?

Genre

Oh come on. You aren't seriously referencing MangaUpdates for that, are you?

Well, its in Monthly Comic Zero Sum which is a shoujo magazine.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

There are 2 manga for Ixion Saga. One is shoujo, one is seinen.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

There are 2 manga for Ixion Saga. One is shoujo, one is seinen.

To be fair, the seinen one has pretty much nothing to do with the series except for being in the same world.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ixion Saga is based on a Capcom game. It has two manga adaptations; a shonen adaptation running in Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine, and a shojo adaptation in Monthly Comic Zero Sum.

Looks to me like they are going for as much audience as possible.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
And the Shoujo one is following ED and incognito, so it isn't exactly the same either.

That hardly proves that the anime (whose main character wants to get laid) is for women.

Manga adaptions of anime also do not prove target demographic of the anime either.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
To be fair, the seinen one has pretty much nothing to do with the series except for being in the same world.

the point is you really are just grasping at straws and not really honestly understanding what we're trying to say. i mean why did you try to prove your point with the manga? It isn't even a manga adaptation.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

the point is you really are just grasping at straws and not really honestly understanding what we're trying to say. i mean why did you try to prove your point with the manga? It isn't even a manga adaptation.

I guess the "Ryan plan" is to wear us all out by posting stuff and soapboxing until we lose interest and go do something else. Must be nice to be unencumbered by employment. Wink
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
On another note the Princess Tutu manga was actually shounen so we can now of course assume the Princess Tutu anime was also for guys.

This is of course difficult since the series happened to have both male & female seiyuu. I wonder what happens then do they count the number of male and female seiyuu to determine if it more for guys or more for women?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 58