• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Games to anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
I didn't actually think I'd be the only person in the thread(s) mentioning Valkyria Chronicles on Crackle and P4: Persona on Funi/Hulu--

Dessa wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
The main problem though, is that a lot of anime based on games are just OVAs designed to make money, not retell the story of the game. Though that's changed a bit recently with Tales of the Abyss and Persona 4 getting 26ish ep anime (I've not seen either one, though I have played both games).

P4, on the other hand, I hated. I couldn't even finish it. After the added focus on sex in episode 7 (characters being forced to fight in sex lube, rather than just a bathhouse like in the game), and the accusation that Kanji was going to try to rape Yu and Yosuke. At that point, it was a struggle to force myself to continue the series (I was reviewing it), and when I got too busy to watch an episode and ended up behind, I never finished it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
No mention of Gungrave?

The anime for it essentially took a subpar third-person shooter and made it into a tragic crime story of childhood friends who rise to the top of a criminal syndicate, get torn apart by misunderstandings, one of them spoiler[being killed off by said friend] and then coming back from the dead to spoiler[protect the daughter of his former lover] from his former friend's criminal empire. Easily one of the best video game anime adaptations I've seen and that's saying something considering many anime based on video games are just cash-ins for said mentioned popular video games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
I love Gungrave. I picked the series up by mistake when I was on holiday in New York and got the title mixed up with another I had heard about. It is one of my favourite animes.

I love the way the story is told with the fashbacks and in my opinion a fantastic ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2