• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Localization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WesW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I wasn't intending to stick my nose in this again, but. . .

I generally prefer dubs because I find reading subs to be a distraction to paying attention to the artistry, and I know I know I'm not alone on this viewpoint. Because of that, I will almost always watch an anime DVD dubbed on the first pass and subbed on the second. I also generally find the emotional elements of a well-performed dub to be more compelling than their equivalent in Japanese with subtitles. (Case in point: VODT)

That being said, at least 80% of the anime I watch I also see subbed.

As for the whole "purist" thing, when I use that term I am referring to diehard fans who exclusively favor subs and value the artistic integrity of an anime so highly that they won't tolerate even minor changes. These are the fans that will rarely or never acknowledge an English dub as measuring up to the quality of the original performances. Purist, by my definition, also tend to be elitist, though this isn't always the case.

Thank you for sticking your nose back in, since you eloquently expressed why I also prefer dubbing, at least for the first time through.

To turn the question around, it could be asked of the sub-purists why they bother with the anime and don't stick with the manga, unless they already know Japanese and thus don't really need the subs to begin with. I mean, if you would rather read than listen, you can go at your own pace with the manga, while with subs you have to constantly change focus between the bottom of the screen and everywhere else. For me, this can be quite distracting during an action scene. I'm also near-sighted, and therefore like to sit closer to the TV than I did when I was younger, but I would still think it would be a distraction to most anyone.
Over 90% of the anime I have watched has been fansubs I have dl'd, for various reasons, so I am used to watching subs, but I find it much more enjoyable to be able to watch it as it was intended- in a spoken language I understand. I wonder if the sub-purists forget that- that these shows were not designed for subtitles- that they were intended for an audience that was listening to the dialogue and concentrating on the visual movements.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:37 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
I mean, if you would rather read than listen, you can go at your own pace with the manga, while with subs you have to constantly change focus between the bottom of the screen and everywhere else. For me, this can be quite distracting during an action scene.

It might amaze you that some people are multitasking, and can do the whole "reading subs at the same time as watching the video". SOme people who watch subbed versions do so at an enjoyment of the Japanese performances. Assuming sub fans are only fans because they read is like saying dub fans are only dub fans because they can not read.

Quote:
I wonder if the sub-purists forget that- that these shows were not designed for subtitles- that they were intended for an audience that was listening to the dialogue and concentrating on the visual movements.

However you shouldn't go and deny them the opporunity when the time arises, this is why we have DVD. They could easily say that they watch the Japanese track to maintain "artistic integrity", and it's a legitimate call.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
I mean, if you would rather read than listen (...)

I'm sorry, but this is stupid. I don't think most "sub purists" prefer subs because they like to read but because they'd like to experience the show as close to its original state as possible, without worrying about any changes/edits in the dub track; also, many people simply prefer the Japanese voice actors. I mean, let's face it, dubs (American or otherwise) are sometimes very good, but more often than not they're just... not very good. And, well, this is also a matter of personal preference, but for me, even an uninspired dub can pretty much kill a movie or a series - and I don't think I'm alone with this. (For the record, this goes for the Japanese dub, too. One of the reasons I gave up on the Tenjou tenge series is that the original dub was one of the worst I've ever heard. Yes, I know enough Japanese to ascertain this.)

Also, this may sound really weird, but there are people who are able to watch the visuals and read the subs at the same time. At least I'm able to do this. It may be a very special ability that makes me worthy to join the X-men or something, but well, what can I do. I'm also near-sighted, very much so, actually, but thanks to my glasses, I'm able to watch TV from a comfortable distance.

By the way, I think it's rather unfair to refer to everyone who prefers subs as a "sub purist" - this I'd reserve for the "OMG dubs are EVIL" people. Preferring subs or dubs is simply a personal preference that doesn't make one a better or a worse person or fan. The problems arise when people start being snobbish about their preferences.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Let's look at Initial D specifically; Tokyopop saw a growing North American drifting / import tuner market and realized that Initial D could appeal to them. A look at Initial D's sales numbers shows a certain amount of success in this market, frankly, Initial D is selling more copies than it ever would have if it were sold only to anime fans. David Williams believes strongly that it would not have sold as many copies had it not been “tricked out”.

For starters, it's now generally called Sport Compact Tuning due to the market now focused on Domestics like Cavaliers, SRT-4's, and DSM's, plus the addition of "Euro Tuners" like VW's and Bimmers.

Also, I am repulsed and extremely offended by the fact that because Initial D sold well, ergo, the "Localization" was justified.

HOW THE F*** DO YOU JUSTIFY SUCH A CONCULSION WHEN YOU NEVER BOTHERED TO STUDY THE TUNER MARKETS?!?!

If you knew even a shred of the Industry, many "Import Tuners" actually HATED the Dubs done by Tokyopop and actually reverted to the Subs. Some of the Tuner mags that reviwed the DVD's made comments to the effect that "Dubs are bad, do Subs." You know why? Because not all the Tuners are idiots who put stickers on their POS Civics with Fart Cannons and Faux Carbon Fibre Hoods. Many take pride in the fact that they do a bang-up job on their rides and are proud of their cars.

The main problem with Initial D was Tokyopop was trying to "fit in" when "Fast and the Furious" was on the Screens. The problem of the movie was that in an effort to look appealing, they cobbled together Show Cars with Street Racing and focused more on the Actors than the Cars. No racer in their right mind would have 30000 Watt Sound Systems with DVD Players and 4 20 In. Subwoofers and 350000 Candlepower Neon Lights CAUSE IT ADDS UNNEEDED WEIGHT!! And seriously, if you spent $4K Grand on Neon, the last thing you'd want to do is to Streetrace and mess that up when you powerslide into a curb. Even with NNNNNAAAAAAUUUUSSSS, the engine still would be struggling because of the weight.

Initial D was the exact opposite of F&F and 2F2F. No Neon, no Slutty Wannabe Import Models, no Crime Syndicates, no NNNNAAAAAAUUUUUSSSSSSSS, just a buncha kids racing on the Mountain Passes of Gunma Prefecture. And Tokyopop tried to inject some "Street Cred" and failed like a Drug Addict with a bad dose of smack. And I still laugh when people make the inferences that "Oh, because Fast and the Furious was popular, Tokyopop tried to cash in on Initial D with it," because they have a line of Tuner Vids and they too have also been panned by many mags as sub-par and pale in comparison to other Import DVDs.

In addition, Toyota Corolla GT-S/SR5 enthusiasts HATE Initial D as well. Much as MkIV Supra Owners hate F&F and Mustang Owners with Gone in Sixty Seconds, Initial D also has caused a considerable backlash with AE86 Corolla owners where baka's that think they can win Street Races or get cheap thrills by Drifitng like Takumi in an AE86. Even mentioning that you want a "Panda Trueno" will get you irked responses from Corolla Owners.

Plus, has it ever occured to some folks (especially Anime Experts like Anime Reviewers and ANN) that even thought they sold well, is it because the people who bought it are Sub-Friendly and compromised on just getting the DVD's for the Subs? I certainly got the DVD's due to the fact that Tokyopop bit the bullet and added the subs and kept it clean and intact. i've rarely watched the dubs (only the Outtakes thought).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6