• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rare Miyazaki Interview

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Didn't The New Yorker interview him?

I know they had a big article about him.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea this man had such a bleak view of the world.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I always felt "Castle in the Sky "had a Welsh feel to it. especially in the land scapes and architectures on the ground scenes.

He grew up in bleak times in his country. Imagine being just 4 years old and seeing your world distroyed by airplanes dropping bombs, especially two BIG ones, then surviving through times of illnesses and food rationing.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Giant Robot magazine interviewed him a few years back.

Still, that's some good reading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Serge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
"Disney releases Miyazaki films in two formats: a subtitled version for the purists and a dubbed extravaganza for the popcorn crowd."

At Least in the UK, whoever releases it (Other than Disney) They do a SUBTITLED Version, Not DUBTITLED Version. Unlike the U.S Releases.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
Imagine being just 4 years old and seeing your world distroyed by airplanes dropping bombs,

Actually, his family worked in a factory and helped build the planes which bombed us, although this article suggests he regrets his association with the war.

Anyway, back to the article.

Quote:
"I admired the way they battled to save their way of life, just as the coal miners in Japan did....

I didn't even know they had coal mines in Japan. You learn something new.

Quote:
The director chortles. "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts." He smiles. "I defeated him."

If only Zhang Yimou and Stephen Chow were that influential...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I didn't even know they had coal mines in Japan. You learn something new.

Well, the dude's pretty old...
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Imagine being just 4 years old and seeing your world distroyed by airplanes dropping bombs

Hm, indeed (remembers Pearl Harbor)

Anyway, that was a decent interview. I somehow agree about his take on CG as "fake" lol Laughing Nothing can beat hand drawn (atleast, for now)

Also, why did they say SA surpassed Titanic domestically? Wasn't Titanic 600M? (according to Box Office Mojo)
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I kind of share Miyazaki-san opinion of the Traditional Animation. There are still some of us (yours included) who would love to see the old tradition carry on. I think now with advent of Photoshop and other paint programs. Animators can cut the painting of cells. Though I think the quality will be less.

I don't know if Miyazaki-san is a pessimisset. I think he is more of a realist. I think this was a well written article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joesushi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Actually I think CGI has the potential to equal or even surpass what the human hand can do..."

The potential is already there and has been showned in amazing ways. Toy Story has to be considered one of the most important animated films in the last 10 years. Cel-shading has also gained popularity as well. Appleseed is one example, combining cel-shaded animation with CGI to work with the main story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
joe:
Quote:
Toy Story has to be considered one of the most important animated films in the last 10 years.

Not really. It's a tribute to old Warner Bros. cartoons, but in cg. A lot of the cg films released since then are just high-priced knock-offs of stuff I saw from Fleischer and co. At least Macross Plus and the first GITS actually did something with the animation style.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't call them knock-offs in the least. I know many anime fans despise the fact that animation exists that's not anime but let's be realistic here and accept the fact that a good deal of it was revolutionary and well done without japanese involvement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I wouldn't call them knock-offs in the least.

GATSU calls everything a knock-off. There was a period there in the early 00's where everything ever made was a Matrix ripoff on Planet GATSU.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Not only did The New Yorker interview him, but within the past ten years he was also interviewed by ANIMERICA and by Helen McCarthy for her book. Mr. Miyazaki certainly does speak to the press on occasion (generally during film releases or a festivals); he's not exactly J.D. Salinger.

—C.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
Not only did The New Yorker interview him, but within the past ten years he was also interviewed by ANIMERICA and by Helen McCarthy for her book.

Not to mention the 40 interviews at a Canadian film festival mentioned, and parts of seen, in the Thank You, Mr. Lasseter documentary (available on region 2 DVD with subtitles).

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/lasseter/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2