• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gankutsuou DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
ananda wrote:

It wouldn't have been even necessary to Dub this part again, I suppose, just take the one from the Japanese track.
Well I don't know,...

Because the voices wouldn't match.

But not if the English VA would have had the similar tone of voice; I think it would have been possible.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
The animaition really turned me off when I first saw the Japanese trailer last August (I think), but I may have to give it a shot...I've heard to many good things to ignore it any longer.

It doesn't take long to get used to, the more you watch the less you notice it. At the same time, and maybe it's just me, but it seemed like they used it less and less in the later episode, but that could have been them perfecting the style to the point that it seemed more natural. I do remember seeing less of it in the last episode than any of the previous episodes.

Zac, something I didn't really get about your review is that you spend some time talking about the major flaws of the dub, yet you still gave it a B+. Is the dub really not that bad because the things you pointed out made it sound more like a C dub?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

It doesn't take long to get used to, the more you watch the less you notice it. At the same time, and maybe it's just me, but it seemed like they used it less and less in the later episode, but that could have been them perfecting the style to the point that it seemed more natural. I do remember seeing less of it in the last episode than any of the previous episodes.

Zac, something I didn't really get about your review is that you spend some time talking about the major flaws of the dub, yet you still gave it a B+. Is the dub really not that bad because the things you pointed out made it sound more like a C dub?

Emerje

The score is "overall: dub", which is the entire show with the dub. I start with a base rating - an A, in this case - and then however bad or good the dub is, I change the score positive or negative. So in this case, Gankutsuou is an A, but if you watch the dub, it's a B+. The show itself is not as good in English; it isn't a seperate score that only rates the dub.

Like with Licensed by Royalty, I gave the show a C, but the dub experience made the show a B+ or something like that. Get it?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I see what you're saying, but with all of the flaws you pointed out it seemed like it would be more than a two point loss. I guess what you're really saying is that the issues weren't enough to totally knock out the experience of the DVD, just effect it somewhat? At least that's what I'm taking from you.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
the plot got ridiculous towards the end, and the outro is just plain atrocious. other then that, it's a cool series.
mirichan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
ananda wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
ananda wrote:

It wouldn't have been even necessary to Dub this part again, I suppose, just take the one from the Japanese track.
Well I don't know,...

Because the voices wouldn't match.

But not if the English VA would have had the similar tone of voice; I think it would have been possible.

One thing that people got wrong is assuming the French narration at the beginning was done by the Count.

It wasn't... it was done by Gankutsuou... I'm a big fan of Nakata Jouji (the Count) and know his pitch well. I'm also French-speaking so I could listen carefully and not be mixed up by the words. It was a different voice actor doing the French part, not Nakata. AND I remember such a discussion a while back and it was mentioned the narrator (aka Gankutsuou's voice ) was Shimai Shouta (?).

And finally... I'll have to disagree but the French intro was stilted and obviously done by someone with no fluency whatsoever in the language... BUT the English dub should have kept the French intro. Shame on them for removing it or being too lazy and navel-centric gazing to care about other languages but their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2