Forum - View topic
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
msi435



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 465
Location: Behind you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Has the manga been translated into English? I scoured the internet and couldn't find it. I just saw the OVA and I need the manga Anime cry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa
Moderator


Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Posts: 6128
Location: Atlanta-ish, Jawjuh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Gonna go ahead and re-open this one. A misunderstanding on my part; seeing some other dimwit post scanlations here and the approving response of the original poster led me to believe that's what the original poster was asking for in the first place. The thread is being re-opened for people that can provide LEGAL copies of the manga. No more scanlations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5461
Location: 露命

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite so pessimistic as to say "never", but I do regard this as a very hard sell - the target demographic of YKK varies a great deal from the traditional demographics of manga in the West, and it would require a publisher that were willing to gamble.

Having said that, I think that YKK could actually be a surprise success, if someone were to take the chance. The target audience is more mature and thoughtful, and a publication like this could help break new ground, in terms of marketable audience. Such a gamble would, in my opinion, be potentially very profitable - but it would require a willingness to explore new markets.

It's one of those situations were I think the situation is ripe for a new imprint to make its mark.

- abunai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
barbapapa



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 223
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I'm not quite so pessimistic as to say "never", but I do regard this as a very hard sell - the target demographic of YKK varies a great deal from the traditional demographics of manga in the West, and it would require a publisher that were willing to gamble.

Having said that, I think that YKK could actually be a surprise success, if someone were to take the chance. The target audience is more mature and thoughtful, and a publication like this could help break new ground, in terms of marketable audience. Such a gamble would, in my opinion, be potentially very profitable - but it would require a willingness to explore new markets.

It's one of those situations were I think the situation is ripe for a new imprint to make its mark.

- abunai


Del Rey seems to be a newer, bolder publisher. Not afraid to publish titles like Genshiken for example (okay its very popular in Japan, but its still a topic that doesnt garantee a hit in the West).
And since its a Kodansha property (seeing as Del Rey has strong bonds with them). My hope is still there that it will happen one day. But its easier not putting too much hope in it at the moment and let it blow me away when it does happen. Smile

In the end, it definitely has the quality to be a surprise hit. This simply is one of the best titles available. Even if it's not something for everything. It makes it up in sheer quality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kagemusha



Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Del Rey seems to be a newer, bolder publisher. Not afraid to publish titles like Genshiken for example (okay its very popular in Japan, but its still a topic that doesnt garantee a hit in the West).

I've actually been hoping the same thing. After all, they did licence Nodame Cantable and Love Roma, both of which are quite different from their respective genres. YKK is quite a bit diffrent from these series, but I think there is still hope it will be licenced (I'm hoping Mushishi gets picked up as a gateway manga to YKK).
Quote:
Such a gamble would, in my opinion, be potentially very profitable - but it would require a willingness to explore new markets.

I agree. I'm encouraged with the current direction of the english language market, as it slowly seems to be diversifying, especially if other indie comic publishers follow Drawn and Quarterly's example and release non-mainstream stuff. YKK certainy doesn't fit this mold, but diversity can't hurt its chances of being picked up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
barbapapa



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 223
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
YKK already has a strong following that are almost sure to support this, and buy the releases... Its actually quite well known by the more experienced readers among us
So there's at least some headstart

I think by releasing it, it can only grow in that aspect.. there's bound to be more people who are willing to go with this eventually...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dranxis



Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 591
Location: Ohtori Academy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, how many volumes is YKK?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
barbapapa



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 223
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
the 13th was released in July this year
its still going tho
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9559
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Having said that, I think that YKK could actually be a surprise success, if someone were to take the chance.

I wouldn't be so optimistic. Even in Japan, where YKK is highly acclaimed and has a small group of dedicated and loyal fandom, one can't and shouldn't compare it with "successful" shounen titles financially. Don't forget that the US release of Aria, a title often being compared with YKK (watery environment, laid-back lifestyle, emphasis on female characters, beautiful flowing artstyle, and carpe diem philosophy), has been suspended by ADV Manga.

barbapapa wrote:
YKK already has a strong following that are almost sure to support this, and buy the releases... Its actually quite well known by the more experienced readers among us

Most American manga readers are nowhere to be called "experienced," either manga-wise or life-wise. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
barbapapa



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 223
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
barbapapa wrote:
YKK already has a strong following that are almost sure to support this, and buy the releases... Its actually quite well known by the more experienced readers among us

Most American manga readers are nowhere to be called "experienced," either manga-wise or life-wise. Cool


who sez Im talking about american readers Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msi435



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 465
Location: Behind you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
So from what I can gather... not only is it not licensed, but it's not going to be licensed because we Americans are not capable of understanding it's beauty; there for it wont sell. My question to every one is, how did you read it, if you can't read Japanese? (Minus Abunai of course... and probably dorm cat) Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9559
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
My question to every one is, how did you read it, if you can't read Japanese? (Minus Abunai of course... and probably dorm cat) Wink

Licensed in Taiwan by Tongli Publishing. Up to volume 12 now; I have them all, of course.



Plus Aqua and Aria (up to vol. 6).



楽しい~ Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
barbapapa



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Posts: 223
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
So from what I can gather... not only is it not licensed, but it's not going to be licensed because we Americans are not capable of understanding it's beauty; there for it wont sell. My question to every one is, how did you read it, if you can't read Japanese?


Well, except if you can read... "Thaiwanese" ??
You can't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msi435



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 465
Location: Behind you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:


楽しい~ Laughing


Damn... I can't find a Taiwanese to English translator. -_-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5461
Location: 露命

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
Actually, I will readily admit that I was originally introduced to YKK by the very capable English scanlation that is available to those who know where to look. Since then, of course, I've gone and purchased nearly the entire series in the original Japanese, and re-read them.

I may open up a can of worms by suggesting that fansubs/scanlations are sometimes justified - but, at least in this case, the scanlation served as an appetizer that made me insatiably interested in owning the original. Ideally, that's the way things ought to work... which is also why I disapprove of DVD-ripped fansubs - there has to be a perceptible difference in video quality, to give people an incentive to purchase the real thing.

Of course, with mangas, it is the sheer tactile pleasure of sitting with a bound volume in your hands that is the quality difference which incites one to purchase.

- abunai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group