• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alichino!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alichino_Myobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Alright, its been proven. Alichino is worthy of praise amongst all manga/anime fans who enjoy a great storyline and even better art. Kurei Shurei's newer manga, Alichino is just out with book numer 3 in the US and there is thus far no idea when even volume four will be released in Japan. So. Im going nuts. I have yet to come across someone who has become and avid fan of this wonderful series. Anyone out here that can talk with me?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
unfortunately, it's been stalled in Japan and it looks like 3 is the last volume they're going to do. it's such a shame... that series so caught my intrest and then, BAM, it stalls... things with pretty artwork and pretty plot shouldn't get stalled Crying or Very sad
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I have the first volume of Alichino, definitely it gets points for prettiness. The plot was rather intriguing too, though it didn't grab me like some others have. I think I'll have to give it another read sometime (I don't have it with me right now unfortunately) because I have heard a lot of good things about it, though if it's getting stalled I might not...it's so unfortunate when things like that happen Sad
Alichino_Myobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, the real shame of it is though, that I STARTED out becoming an avid manga collector with Alichino and now whenever I look at manga, I look at the art. And if the art os not acceptable, I go nuts and label it as a disgrace. Thats why one of the only other favorites of mine has to be Angel Sanctuary, because of the art! GODS!!!!! I wish I could read/speak Japanese then I would at least be able to understand that special preview in the back of volume three!!! *bashes head into keyboard* *weeps* This just isnt fair!!!
Spica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop had an interview with the artist printed in volume three of the manga, asking if she had any plans for continuing the series, and she said she is currently working on the fourth and final volume of the series. So I'm sorry to say we're all just going to have to wait for it to be published in Japan before Tokyopop can translate it. Although I have to say I don't mind the wait because I'm just happy its being finished.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Alichino_Myobi wrote:
And if the art os not acceptable, I go nuts and label it as a disgrace.

That's certainly nuts. Plenty of good enjoyable stories out there with mediocre art. E.g. Initial D has horrendous art but the story is surprisingly engaging. And I don't even like motor sports!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Alichino_Myobi wrote:
And if the art os not acceptable, I go nuts and label it as a disgrace.

That's certainly nuts. Plenty of good enjoyable stories out there with mediocre art. E.g. Initial D has horrendous art but the story is surprisingly engaging. And I don't even like motor sports!

some people put a whole lot of emphasis on art quality... my best friend (an art major in college) can't stand a comic/manga/manwah if it has really bad artwork, whereas I prefer good artwork but can make an exception if the plot is good (but then, as a writer I know the value of a good plot better than the value of good art).

and... WHOO!!! IT'S GETTING FINISHED!!! now I'll have to buy volumes 1-3 either after YoumaCon or as soon as I find out I'll be unable to make it there!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to piss alot of people off here, but Alichino author Kouyu Shurei is an example of a great artist who isn't nessisarily a great writer/storyteller. The art is without a doubt stunning, but the actual story is mediocre. The characters are bland cut-outs that we've all seen many times before. The story, while it makes a fine attempt to create gothic mythology, comes off as a regurgitated Angel Sanctuary. Even the pretty art doesn't nessisarily show emotions very well. I can tell Shurei really had alot of ambition going into this, but that just is never fully realized.
Alichino_Myobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Peh. I think the storylin eis wonderful. In my opinion. NOTHING like Angel Sanctuary. I mean, come on. I see no angels eating angels or insest here! (lol) *cough* But come on! Im not necessarily pissed off at your comment Kagemusha, just... annoyed.

And another thing. Alichino could NOT be finished up in one more volume. Thats pure crazed insanity. Too much to resolve in just one book in all aspects I can think of. Anyone else agree on that? I mean, come on!

Also. Alichino. Hints towards Yaoi or not? That would be sweet ocnsideirng Im one of those obsessive Yaoi fangirls. WHOOO!!! I love FF7 Yaoi especially. (im in the process of ordering Death and Rebirth at this very moment! ^^x) But yea. I can see some very nice Yaoi scenes with Tsugiri who has seemed to dissapear since volume one. But oh well.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Alichino_Myobi wrote:
Peh. I think the storylin eis wonderful. In my opinion. NOTHING like Angel Sanctuary. I mean, come on. I see no angels eating angels or insest here! (lol) *cough* But come on! Im not necessarily pissed off at your comment Kagemusha, just... annoyed.

And another thing. Alichino could NOT be finished up in one more volume. Thats pure crazed insanity. Too much to resolve in just one book in all aspects I can think of. Anyone else agree on that? I mean, come on!

Also. Alichino. Hints towards Yaoi or not? That would be sweet ocnsideirng Im one of those obsessive Yaoi fangirls. WHOOO!!! I love FF7 Yaoi especially. (im in the process of ordering Death and Rebirth at this very moment! ^^x) But yea. I can see some very nice Yaoi scenes with Tsugiri who has seemed to dissapear since volume one. But oh well.

It can and will, more or less, be resolved, because there's only one volume left. Kagemusha is allowed to have as much as an opinion as you are, so don't be immature.

Personally, I think the basic plot elements are good, but the pacing isn't very well done, and I agree that the characters are pretty bland. But still, I'll buy the last book when it comes out, simply because I love the art, and for hope that the climax will do a better job at resolving the plot.

Stupid yaoi fangirls who bring up their off-topic obsessions for no reason it make baby Jesus weep emo tears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Alichino_Myobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
HEY! You know theres a little Yaoi fangirl in all of us. And really... Who cares about Jesus. He IS Emo. Hence my loathing hatred. *cough* But now Im getting offtopic, and for that, I am sorry.

Once more, my opinion stays as this: I really think there should be more than one more book for th eseries. Yes it is beautiful, and I think that it could go so much further if there was more to it. A few questions like so could be answered: what about the other Alichino? WHat about moreso on Tsugiri's past? What about moreso on Myobi's past? More and more flow off of this. What about other Kusabi? Has Myobi or Ryoko ever done away with them?

You see. Too much to answer in one last book. Bu tthats just MY opinion which isnt worth moldy beans.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
You guys seem somewhat mis-informed about the status of Alichino in Japan. It's pretty much been canceled. The publishing company and magazine that released it went out of business, and all the properties (manga) they owned are just sitting there. I don't remember if Tokyopop licensed it before or after the publisher went out of business, but from what I've seen of similar situations there's only four ways the manga can continue:

1) Another manga publisher in Japan offers to continue to manga *usually under another name* in their own mangazine

2) The original company that owns Alichino actually somehow gets back in the business, and is able to print more Alichino

3) Kouyu Shurei continues it by publishing it herself as doujinshi, which she has a lot of background with.

or...

4) Tokyopop somehow manages to get more produced.

The publisher went out over a year ago, and I haven't heard any news since about Alichino continuing.

And I don't see any connection/resemblance of Alichino to Angel Sanctuary, other than they both have amazing art.
Alichino_Myobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
...O-o... N... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *weeps bitter tears of sadness and regret for one so good now lost to the turmoils that is this world* Of course, something good like Alichino has ot be ruined. Thank you though for bringing forth this information. *sigh* Looks like Im going to have to search for a new manga to follow along with soon then, huh? Any recomendations from anyone? If so, send me a PM, otherwise... this is for Alichino discussions. *sigh*

Man. This just made my day get even worse. *sigh* Oh well. No use being Emo about it. All will be fine. I can just look to Hellsing for some crazy sh1t to keep me happy. ^^x
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
When I was at the bookstore a few months ago, I went straight for Alichino and I really like the art. Besides the art skill that is really good, I also really liked the style. But I didn;t buy it, because it was only about 150 pages long (yes, page count matters to me). Another reason (and the more important one) is the plot. I couldn't tell if it was going somewhere, going nowhere, even if there was a solid plot...I like my manga with good art, true, but I prefer story line above all. I was severely dissapointed by the story plot. It wasn't horrible and hackneyed, I just thought the author put too much of an emphasis on the art, and not enough on the plot. I was considering seeing if TokyoPop would release an art book, but seeing as the manga has been cancelled, I guess I can just hope for an art book for something else. The art is gorgeous, but if TokyoPop isn't considering releasing an art book...well that wasn't likely anyway.
Spica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Honestly! Has anyone read Tokyopop's release of volume three of the manga? There's an interview with the artist herself clearly stating that she plans to finish the series. There's even a preview of volume four.
Quote:
You guys seem somewhat mis-informed about the status of Alichino in Japan. It's pretty much been canceled.
Well I guess that means Tokyopop myself and the artist are all misinformed. Someone please go read volume three.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2