• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shinbo, Tomino Want to Do New Madoka Magica, Ideon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
While I'm really enjoying Magical Girl Madoka (enough to order the Japanese BDs), I don't have any problem with slice-of-life Madoka, and I'd give it a try. It'd be nice to see what the girls do in their happier moments. Life's not all about fighting witches, other magical girls, or trying to take down QB's scheme..

Maybe it could be like Haruhi 2009 (no, not the Endless 8 part which Homura's been going through), but that the new series' episodes would be inserted between the episodes of the original series in order to flesh it out a bit more (rather than be a prequel, sequel or a parallel world).

No guarantees that I'd buy it, but I would want to see it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of Ideon. I really enjoyed the original series and Be Invoked and certainly wouldn't mind seeing it with updated visuals.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I kinda want the slice of life Madoka. I love the story as it is, but I adore these characters and seeing something happy with them would be a fun diversion/guilty pleasure.
psipsy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
"Slice of life" Madoka anime? I dunno, I was thinking something more of a "Soultaker" to "Nurse Witch Komugi" sort of transition.[/spoiler]
utawoutau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree, a slice-of-life Madoka might be interesting, but its nothing I would ask for.

Interestingly according to Puella Magi Wiki besides a manga form of Madoka Magica, there are two other Magica stories:

Quote:
Mahou Shoujo Kazumi Magica: The Innocent Malice (魔法少女かずみ☆マギカ〜The innocent malice〜)
The first spin-off manga featuring different characters. It started serialization in the Manga Time Kirara Forward magazine on January 24, 2011.
Mahou Shoujo Oriko Magica (魔法少女おりこ☆マギカ)
The the second spin-off manga will be released after the anime broadcast, the first volume on April 12, 2011. This might be a prequel of the original series featuring Mami and Kyouko before their meeting with Madoka and the other characters.

The prequel one sounds the most interesting. The character designs are kind of yucky though.
tyer123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
If shaft is behind this, maybe we can get another version of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru? Anime hyper I really enjoyed that slice of life anime haha...
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't watched a single episode of Madoka yet (not for any particularly negative reason, mind you, just not enough time), it seems fairly easy to believe Shinbo's wishes are far more likely to come true than Tomino's.

Why? Mostly because Shinbo is an active director talking about the future of a new property. The latest thing Tomino directed was that Ring of Gundam short from two years ago and I don't know if he could get enough sponsors to support a new Ideon work. Then again, there's always a chance my doubts could end up being unnecessary.

At the very least, however, it would be rather interesting to see him revisit that story after so many years.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'd stick with a semi-sequel, depending on how the series end up. Almost like a version of anime that fills a gap, like Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU, and it plays relevance to the overall plot. Unlike some anime slice of life series that originate from greatness...
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
Most of the comments so far have been about Madoka so here's my take on the new Ideon project:

Tomino said (I don't know when, just that it was after the release of Evangelion) that he feels it's important for fiction to function as escapism and that he didn't understand the power of fantasy when he made Ideon. I can't imagine anything he produces today being as good as The Ideon: Be Invoked for that reason.

Now, Ideon's animation certainly is dated. You have a whole planet exploding and it looks rather unimpressive. I think Koichi Sugiyama's wonderful music does a good job of pushing Ideon past its super-limited animation, but I'm really curious what the same show with modern production values would be like.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Perhaps in the bath scene, one or more of the girls will be boiled alive.
That could be considered "heartwarming" in a way, right?
Or maybe "slice of life" is just a slick way of saying their lives will be ended when sliced into tiny pieces.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'd want a normal, nice, slice-of-life version of Madoka. It's great because it's so different. This sounds like it would just be a generic show riding the popularity of the original. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't want to see something like this watered down to sell the series to a larger audience. Though it won't surprise me if that happens.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I, for one, welcome our new Madoka Magica Fumoffu overlord!

But, on a serious note, it could be fun as a three-to-six episode OVA. Maybe a twelve-episode TV series if the writers were good enough. We never do get to see spoiler[all five of the Puella Magi in the series alive and interacting with each other at one time, much less without at least one wanting to kill at least one more], so seeing how they'd all react to a situation where they're all spoiler[alive and cooperative] could be interesting. Plus the supporting cast of non-Puella Magi could stand for some fleshing out; they certainly have vibrant enough personalities to make it a tantalizing prospect.

Really, thinking about it, a more direct Fumoffu-style comedy would be a whole lot more interesting than a slice-of-life series. Plus it would fit Madoka Magica's premise pretty well. Instead of turning the magical girl genre on its ear by making it incredibly dark and sinister, the second season could then take it in the opposite direction by turning the genre on its ear as a full-on farce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I don't think I'd want a normal, nice, slice-of-life version of Madoka. It's great because it's so different. This sounds like it would just be a generic show riding the popularity of the original. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't want to see something like this watered down to sell the series to a larger audience. Though it won't surprise me if that happens.

Pretty much this. As dark, cruel, and emotional as Madoka has been, I really wouldn't care to see all that turn into another version of Hidamari Sketch.

That's not to say I don't love Hidamari Sketch, I do, but I like them for very different reasons, and I wouldn't want to see one turn into a doppelganger of the other.

Quote:
take it in the opposite direction by turning the genre on its ear as a full-on farce.

Already been done. Check out Majokko Tsukune-chan.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When the interviewer suggested that a different, "heartwarming" version of the story might be enjoyable to watch, Shinbo responded that such a version could have a bath scene

Of course, of course. That was the intention all along, wasn't it, Shinbo? Laughing

Last edited by egoist on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Sounds like bad ideas all around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4