• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think you'll ever grow out of watching anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if most anime fans (thats assuming if most of you are in highschool) will grow out of watching anime. I mean there are so many decisions that I will have to make for my own future and one day I might grow out of watching anime. Anyways I'm just wondering if any of you all think that this might happen to you (including people that watch anime after finishing school).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat. After several burnouts and screwovers, I find myself liking Anime less as a whole, and while I will like certian titles, it's because they hold values of their own, not because they're "animated by so and so, done by blahblahblah".

Basically, I don't like Anime for Anime's sake anymore, so it might be possible.
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get it though, what's the difference between people who are in high school and people who aren't? As far as I know, everyone can grow out of something anytime. I have no idea what age/sex/whatever has to do with it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it, as I generally equate growing out of something as developing in maturity to a point it no longer interests or effects you. As I don't see anime as immature it is unlikely I'll ever grow out of it. Now could I lose interest? I doubt that as well, it's just as likely as losing interests in books or movies or shows, it all depends on what is released on an individual basis as I don't rate them as a whole. Anime is like TV shows and movies and books, some are good and some are bad but none of them are good simply because they are what they are, anime or not they still need story and substance and quality.

There may come a time that fewer and fewer titles interest me, but I have a hard time believing it will ever reach a point where there will be none.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll grow out of anime. My tastes will most certainly change, but there's good anime out there to accomodate my tastes. So, while what specific anime I like WILL change, my liking of anime will most likely never change.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Basically, I don't like Anime for Anime's sake anymore

Okay.... Shocked

So you're liking anime because you feel you have an obligation to it? Oh yeah, some fan you are. Rolling Eyes
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
No, I think that he's saying that the anime he likes are shows which he likes on their own merits, not just because they happen to be anime.

More or less what happened to me after I burned out too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Okay.... Shocked

So you're liking anime because you feel you have an obligation to it? Oh yeah, some fan you are. Rolling Eyes

What the hell is wrong with you anyway, do you always have this incredible urge to piss on others' posts? Even if you've got a beef with someone, just keep it the hell out of these topics and take it on private messages.

These "Look at what ur posting LOL LOL LOL" posts are incredibly irritating.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Well forums and threads are about posting your own ideas and thoughts so if his thoughts include being annoyed at what some people say then you don't really have the right to stop him. In here theres freedom of speech (except if you diss anime for what it is).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Okay.... Shocked

Way to misread the statement, idiot. I didn't have any obligation to watch anime simply because it was anime, it's just that at a point in my life I took an active interest in shows if they were anime, because I had a tendancy to like anime a lot (while Anime is not a genre, people will activley seek out horror films because they like horror films, etc). Nowerdays I don't do that because there is no point, because I'm finding myself less and less excited or interested in a vast majority of titles.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well forums and threads are about posting your own ideas and thoughts so if his thoughts include being annoyed at what some people say then you don't really have the right to stop him. In here theres freedom of speech (except if you diss anime for what it is).

No, what he is doing is trolling, which is basically a no-no on any forum (bar a few).
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

No, what he is doing is trolling, which is basically a no-no on any forum (bar a few).

Okay.......what is trolling? Heh Heh sorry I haven't heard that term ever used before.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm the same as Tenchi and Steven in that I grew out of the "OMG I love this because it's animation from Japan!!!" phase a long time ago. I don't deny that I went through it at one point, but now I watch anything that I find emotionally or intellectually stimulating, which includes a good amount of anime, but also a good amount of other forms of entertainment from all around the world. I don't see myself "growing out" of anime any time soon, especially since I have such a fondness for animation in general. Unless it is declared that all anime in the future will revolve around harem and hentai. *shudder*

Quote:
Okay.......what is trolling? Heh Heh sorry I haven't heard that term ever used before.

Wikipedia says:

Quote:
The contemporary use of the term first appeared on Usenet groups in the late 1980s. It is widely thought to be a diminutive of the phrase "trolling for suckers," itself derived from the sports-fishing technique of trolling, which can be compared with trawling of which it is a near homophone.
The word likely gained currency because of its conveniently apt second meaning, drawn from the "trolls" portrayed in Scandinavian folklore and children's tales, which are often ugly, obnoxious creatures bent on wickedness and mischief. The image of the troll under the bridge in the Three Billy Goats Gruff emphasizes the rootedness of the troll in a physical environment, dislike of outsiders, particularly those who intend to graze on or in his or her domain.
As a pejorative, the term "troll" is often used to slander opponents in heated debates, in a similar way to the term "noob" in online games. Both people who identify themselves as trolls and those who vehemently deny that they are trolls will use the term, demonstrating to neutral third parties that both participants are, in fact, trolls: one who admits it, and one who does not. Accordingly the view has arisen in some circles that trolls, the plural, is a valid term, but that it is not valid to refer to someone as a singular Internet troll. In other words, it takes two to troll. However, others would say "it only takes a boat to troll, and the fish have a choice as to whether to bite or not" (i.e. one person can do it). Then again, for some fish it is a conditioned reflex.
Often a person will post a sincere message that they are emotionally sensitive about. Skillful trolls know that an easy way to upset them is to disingenuously claim that the person is a troll. On other occasions a person may not instantly understand or fit into the social norms of a forum where most users are the same. As a result, their acting just slightly out of social norms (often unintentionally, and for legitimate reasons) garners the label "troll". Whether they actually "are" a troll depends wholly on whether one takes the political view of trolling, in which motives are not considered.
Sometimes people who are merely attempting to be funny are accused of trolling, when that is not their intent. Many trolls now find that the traditional trolling tactics are so overused and commonplace that they have to disguise their trolling to make it effective - although, quite often, the disguise involves accusing others of being trolls themselves.
Often the phrase "Don't feed the troll," gives trolls ammunition, replying to their posts often makes them stronger and perpetuates the argument.

So basically... rudeness for the sake of being rude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
To get back to the original question (this thread seems to have been badly sidetracked), growing older and more mature doesn't necessarily mean you're going to outgrow a hobby often viewed as aimed primarily at teenagers.

Hell, I'm 34 and I still buy comic books on a weekly basis, and I know guys older than me (ones that are married with kids and everything) who do the same every week. Being college-aged would place you amongst the younger attendees at most RPG-dominated conventions (where the average age is probably over 30), and it's not that unusual for parents to play with their kids at such events. I even know people in their 30s and 40s who plays MMORPGs on an almost nightly basis.

Anime is no different. My interest in, and enthusiasm for, anime (and, to a much lesser extent, manga) is as strong as it's ever been. Granted, I didn't get serious about anime until I was in my mid-20s, so I got a later start age-wise than most in this forum, but it's hobby I've maintained quite well over the years.

Sure, it's possible to burn out on anime or see their interest fade over time as you get interested in other things. That's just natural. But the wonderful thing about anime is that it isn't just targeted at kids and teenagers. There's mature stuff out there to suit the interests of more mature viewers, too. Those who do lose interest over time probably were only into it for its novelty value anyway, and move on to something else when the novelty wears off. Those who are into anime because they are drawn in by the entertainment value of its visuals and storytelling, though, are going to remain fans to some degree for the long haul. Their interests in particular titles might change over time as they mature, but their interest in anime as a form of entertainment won't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I just turned 26 today, I've been watching anime since Voltron started airing in the 80's. it isn't something you're bound to grow out of, altho some do, however, one does tend to get more discerning about what they watch eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5