• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think you'll ever grow out of watching anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminescence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably never stop watching anime. Why? For the same reasons why I'll probably never stop going to the movies or listening to music.

Anime, in general, has the advantage of being able to appeal to a wide range of audiences (with a single series, mind you) and to explore the intricacies of human emotions and human nature in ways that many other TV shows or cartoons do not. I say "in general" because I realize that countless anime exist that could be classed in the same sorts of categories as their Western counterparts. Yet take, for example, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Younger viewers might be attracted to it for its mech battle sequences, whereas more mature audiences could enjoy not only that aspect but also the deeper philosophical, existentialist issues which the series deftly explores. Series such as His and Her Circumstances manage to entertain us with a perfect combination of comedy and drama, probing some of the most important questions concerning human relationships so eloquently and convincingly that you feel like you're watching poetry in motion. I doubt you could easily name a Western animated series that manages to do any of the aforementioned.

Given that exploring the various facets of the human experience won't be going out of style anytime soon, you can bet that I'll be watching anime for a long while to come. Smile
AngryJellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote
I hope I don't grow out of it, but who knows what the quality of anime/manga will be like in the future...
bleetor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Nope, or at least I don't think so. I have watched TV and movies for about 19 years soon and still haven't gotten tired of it, so why should I grow out of anime ? I mean, everyone gets tired of certain things now and then, but being away from them gives you that spark of desire to start doing it again. This is how I feel about almost everthing I keep myself busy with.
ParrySound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting thread...I'm in my 30's and have just become the teacher-advisor to a new Anime Club at our high school, so I'm older and way less experienced than all of you.

I'm exploring anime/manga because (a) I really like the students who formed the club and want to support them and (b) it freaked me out to go into Chapters one day and see the manga section...an entire section full of things that looked like books...but that also looked SO strange! I was fascinated, and wanted to know more.

I can tell you honestly that I'm hoping to 'discover' a few things that appeal to me in anime/manga, despite the fact that I'm older than most and have a heck of a lot of learning to do.

Obviously anime is something more than just a passing fad and I'd like to understand what the allure is.
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
No. I've already started watching less anime, but I still read a ton of manga, and collect it (112 so far). However, I know I'll always watch anime and read manga because there will always be one that will catch my attention.
-edo
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
ParrySound wrote:
This is an interesting thread...I'm in my 30's and have just become the teacher-advisor to a new Anime Club at our high school, so I'm older and way less experienced than all of you.
You may be less experienced, but you are not the oldest here. I'm 53 mate, and have been heavy into anime and manga since 2000. But I saw my first anime back in the early 70's with Star Blazers, Quest for Iscandar. Wink
Katratzi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I do not believe I'll ever grow out of anime. Even though I am a relatively new fan to anime, I have always been a fan of animation in general, so I don't see myself ever not watching it at all. I may watch it less in the future because I will have less time for it; especially when I go to Grad school next year. But I believe that I will always at least watch some shows.
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote
Luminescence wrote:
Yet take, for example, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Younger viewers might be attracted to it for its mech battle sequences, whereas more mature audiences could enjoy not only that aspect but also the deeper philosophical, existentialist issues which the series deftly explores. Series such as His and Her Circumstances manage to entertain us with a perfect combination of comedy and drama, probing some of the most important questions concerning human relationships so eloquently and convincingly that you feel like you're watching poetry in motion. I doubt you could easily name a Western animated series that manages to do any of the aforementioned.

Western animated series? Probably not. Western animated film? Almost certainly.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
Undoubtedly and unfortunately, unless my financial situation changes within the next few years, my love for anime, or at least my hobby of watching titles on a weekly bases, will fade. However i would prefer to not to think of it as "growing out" of anime but intstead, i would like to refer to it as an extended hiatus. Hopefully in the future, when i leave college perhaps, i will return to my love of anime with a refreshed and eager viewpoint.
Luminescence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
MonkeyFunk wrote:

Western animated series? Probably not. Western animated film? Almost certainly.

This is true, although I'd argue that many more Japanese animated films meet these criteria than Western ones (actually, I've only really had experience with American animated films, so I may very well be mistaken when it comes to other Western countries). I guess my main point was that, while the aforementioned "human emotion" qualities can be found just about anywhere if you look in the right places, it just seems to be much more prevalent in Japanese animated work.
jazfuchoin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Razz No, I will never grow out of watching anime. I'll be 25 soon and I still love anime. I have been watching anime since I was little but I did not know that it was anime back then, all I knew was that they were cartoons dubbed in our local language (thought they came from the U.S.). It was only when I was in high school that anime was recognized for what It really was, animation made in japan with a very different twist (different from western animation, that is). Yuyu Hakusho was the most watched anime back then, it became a fad and almost everybody was watching the series, even the motion picture was shown in theatres. Anime is still preavalent in our country but it lost the huge following it had before. I still love anime. Now that I am in my 20's, I still watch anime and I still collect anime stuffs. Though I only watch anime that I like, I become selective in what I watch. most anime I watch have very good storylines and interesting chracters. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5