Forum - View topic
NEWS: Details on Viz Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo Release


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jgreen



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 1324
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this takes me back to the days when Viz and Dark Horse would skip ahead to the "meat" of a series to try to get people hooked right away and make sure the books wouldn't get cancelled. It seemed to work well enough for "Maison Ikkoku" and "Oh My Goddess!" but I thought with how wildly successful manga is that we had gotten past that.

It's a shame, too, because I recommended this book as a good read in my comics column, but I didn't realize it wasn't going to be the first volume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist


Joined: 06 Feb 2002
Posts: 861
Location: Philippe for America! He is five.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree, this just seems so archaic.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is a damned Shonen Jump title. AND it's going to benefit from a TV show on the Cartoon Network. Why bother doing this?

It's bad enough that they're changing the names into lame puns ("Jelly Jiggler"? C'mon), when even the CARTOON NETWORK VERSION is using the original names.

Then again, they're pretty much doing the same thing with their Jojo's Bizarre Adventure release. Funny, Bo-bobo and Jojo's happened to be the only two SJ titles I was looking forward to purchasing. ERRRK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan



Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
...I...guess it's too weird for them -_-...

Well, I can kinda understand that...Kinda. I mean, Bobobo is basically Japan's weirdest series, and there really hasn't been anything like this released in the States... (And the fact that it's regarded as the manga series that Americans can't handle...)

Well, if the CN run is a success (or, if the majority of viewers don't die from weirdness attacks), I'm sure Viz will release the whole thing. Though it really is very silly if we can't actually see what happens at the beginning...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 1812
Location: Tekkoshocon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
It seemed to work well enough for "Maison Ikkoku" and "Oh My Goddess!" but I thought with how wildly successful manga is that we had gotten past that.


Well, it also helped that Maison Ikkoku and Oh My Goddess were already good to begin with...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yashouzoid



Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 411

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
(or, if the majority of viewers don't die from weirdness attacks),

The only pop culture joke I got in the BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo manga preview in Jump was a DBZ parody.

Yeah <_<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
domino



Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 372

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'd be bothered that they decided to release a later volume first, but I've read some of the Bobobo manga and trust me, there is no plot to follow. Reading the 9th volume first shouldn't hurt anything if it's not in some kind of story arc (does Bobobo even get story arcs? It's so random!)

But I really hope this series does well in the US and isn't seen as "too weird", because it's probably the funniest anime I've ever seen/read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bebop26



Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 64
Location: where ever fighting games lay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the Bobobo-bo-Bobo anime. From the promos it looks just damned weird, but also pretty funny. I might pick up the manga just to see how wacky it is.

But then, I'm open to weird anime's. Fooly Cooly is still in the top three for me, and Paranoia Agent was a real surprise... well I love both shows, despite they are very short. I hope Bobo-bo is popular here and isn't seen as "too extreme for us Americans".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12379

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
minakichan: Actually, Bobobo reminds me a lot of the pre-WW2 Looney Tunes shorts, in terms of style. But it's admittedly still too whacked out for my tastes.

One of these days, companies are going to have to start deciding which titles will be liabilities, instead of just releasing them spontaneously. I can't get everything, you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Gorogoro



Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't make any sense though. Volume 9 has the end of the OVER arc and the start of the Harekurani one. Okay, yes yes, we all know that Bo-bobo normally doesn'tmake any sense, and Vol.9 is some quality comedy but...WTF?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 6792
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Here's my question:

Why even bother releasing Bobobo in America? This thing is as much a product of its country as something like Mr. Show or Upright Citizens Brigade or Daily Show is here.

Not that it's as funny as any of those, but you get my point.

If you have to go to these extremes - these measures that require you to skip giant portions of the manga... why bother? There's no big push for Hunter X Hunter yet, another giant Viz property, nor is there a big push for Hikaru no Go, both of which are more accessable, internationally, than Bobobo.

From a plain-sense marketing standpoint, Bobobo makes no sense.

I suppose we'll see what happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Necros Antiquor



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 571
Location: Funny in a car crash sort of way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I knew that couldn't be the first volume of Bobobo, since the cover art is completely different from the first volume I bought while I was in Japan, and Viz usually makes a point to keep the same cover art that the Japanese releases had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Starwind Amada



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 981
Location: Easton, PA, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Here's my question:

Why even bother releasing Bobobo in America? This thing is as much a product of its country as something like Mr. Show or Upright Citizens Brigade or Daily Show is here.

Not that it's as funny as any of those, but you get my point.

If you have to go to these extremes - these measures that require you to skip giant portions of the manga... why bother? There's no big push for Hunter X Hunter yet, another giant Viz property, nor is there a big push for Hikaru no Go, both of which are more accessable, internationally, than Bobobo.

From a plain-sense marketing standpoint, Bobobo makes no sense.

I suppose we'll see what happens.


Um, why are you complaining? I'm assuming you don't like dubs and don't want to see your favorite show get trashed like you assume it will. Get over it and be happy Viz is releasing it at all. If it gets a terrible dub, you can watch subs. No need to wine and moan about it being licensed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 6792
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:


Um, why are you complaining? I'm assuming you don't like dubs and don't want to see your favorite show get trashed like you assume it will. Get over it and be happy Viz is releasing it at all. If it gets a terrible dub, you can watch subs. No need to wine and moan about it being licensed.
`

Are you some kind of robot designed to attack anyone who questions the business decisions of American anime corporations?

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Bobobo, having only seen a few episodes and read one or two manga volumes, but it seems so steeped in Japanese pop culture that it's difficult to say that this particular property was a good choice, marketing-wise.

That's it. Bobobo was in no way a "favorite" of mine, I just know the nature of the show.

Crikey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
milcor1



Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 337

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Zac wrote:
Here's my question:

Why even bother releasing Bobobo in America? This thing is as much a product of its country as something like Mr. Show or Upright Citizens Brigade or Daily Show is here.

Not that it's as funny as any of those, but you get my point.

If you have to go to these extremes - these measures that require you to skip giant portions of the manga... why bother? There's no big push for Hunter X Hunter yet, another giant Viz property, nor is there a big push for Hikaru no Go, both of which are more accessable, internationally, than Bobobo.

From a plain-sense marketing standpoint, Bobobo makes no sense.

I suppose we'll see what happens.


Um, why are you complaining? I'm assuming you don't like dubs and don't want to see your favorite show get trashed like you assume it will. Get over it and be happy Viz is releasing it at all. If it gets a terrible dub, you can watch subs. No need to wine and moan about it being licensed.


What the hell are you talking about? Isn't this for the manga?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lyrai



Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 153
Location: Potatoes (Idaho)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
I think they're being cautious on the fact that BoBoBo is something that most americans wouldn't 'get'.

I stopped saying "That will never get liscensed" when freakign BOBOBO got liscensed. The manga...I think that they're just being overly cautious

As far as Jojo goes, I will bet you $10 USD that if Jojo becomes popular over here, they'll release the 1st and 2nd arcs as "Jojo classic" or "Jojo zero" or "Jojo beginnings" or the like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group