• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix: High Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Sales Could Pave Way for More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy a HD remake of XII over X anyday. And it helps too I think that a lot of the textures and such look like they were planning on moving the game over to HD, or at least a PC port. I don't think it'd take much work on their part at all.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'll buy a HD remake of XII over X anyday. And it helps too I think that a lot of the textures and such look like they were planning on moving the game over to HD, or at least a PC port. I don't think it'd take much work on their part at all.

They won't have to do much, I mean just look at these shots from the game running on an emulator at 1080p with AA forced on:

http://imgur.com/a/hwBlv

The last picture is a comparison between the PC and original on the PS2. Huge difference.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Meh, more interested in a possible Kingdom Hearts 2 HD remaster...

(with Re:Coded and Birth by Sleep too, hopefully!)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I would love to get FF12 in HD. Of course I would love them to remake FF7 Crisis Core and FF7 into one game and call it "FF7 Complete", but thats just me dreaming
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
It makes me laugh such requests are putting the burden on PS3 owners to bolster the sales while closing off one of the largest markets out there with 360 owners.

Good luck, PS3 owners, that you can actually provide enough sales of FFX so that you can get the game you really want re-released in HD.

I can't believe Square-Enix gets dumber by the year.

They are not ignoring 360 owners, it's just that the 360 is as popular as a venereal disease in Japan where most of the sales will come from! If you want a HD JRPG then apart from the few bones thrown you have to go with the PS3.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
It makes me laugh such requests are putting the burden on PS3 owners to bolster the sales while closing off one of the largest markets out there with 360 owners.

Good luck, PS3 owners, that you can actually provide enough sales of FFX so that you can get the game you really want re-released in HD.

I can't believe Square-Enix gets dumber by the year.

They are not ignoring 360 owners, it's just that the 360 is as popular as a venereal disease in Japan where most of the sales will come from! If you want a HD JRPG then apart from the few bones thrown you have to go with the PS3.
Just about as much sales will come form overseas where 360 has a significant base.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Dude just buy a ps3 already. If you are willing to spend 80 dollars on a game, you can get a used ps3 for around 150 Id imagine, and then get the game on the ps3.

RPGs don't do well on the xbox, other than FF 13 what was the last new rpg on the xbox, resonance of fate?

On the other hand Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms. All originally xbox ported to the ps3. I cant recall any ps3 exclusive rpgs that went to the xbox, I guess unless you think FF was originally ps exclusive.

I mean if you like to play rpgs why do you have an xbox and not a ps3.
Upcoming titles: Disagea 2, Time and Eternity, Fate Pardox, new Atelier game, Witch and the 100 Knights, Dragon's Crown, and Ragnarock Odssey Ace, Tales of Xillia are just the ones I can think of coming out, and thats not counting the compilations like Symphonia and KH/FF X.

And thats not even counting the games that are already out.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean if you like to play rpgs why do you have an xbox and not a ps3.
Because at first the 360 actually had more and better jrpgs than the PS3. LO, ToV, Blue Dragon, and the one's that were ported. Even now I can only think of Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni as the worthwhile jrpgs exclusive to the PS3. Well I guess if you like Tales there's that stuff.

Oh yeah there's NIS and Gust stuff. I remember when we did'nt have to actually count those to talk about all the jrpgs PS2 and PS1 had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

[Citation Needed]

Here's a tip: read the article. No where does it state this version is coming to the 360. What it does say is PS3 owners have to buck up and pay the bills or else, and they're releasing the game outside of Japan.

You can slice it and dice it anyway you want, but ignoring the largest market of gaming of another console is rather arrogant.

I'll concede there's a possibility Microsoft told S-E to jump into a lake, but that's difficult to believe when they embraced FFXIII/2 with open arms.

Sorry, but to me, this is the worst news to FF fans who don't own a PS3 and any potential future releases are now squarely put on the shoulders of you PS3 owners.

Don't let us down, or I'm blaming you if we don't get FFXII in HD. Wink
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, another Japanese dev telling us to buy their stuff so that they'll make more stuff, what are you gonna do if we don't buy it? Not release anymore remakes? YEAH I BET!

Just so we're keepin count, how many times have they re-released Final Fantasy 1? 12 times? Granted it's a bit less involved than glossing up a PS2 game..though the work they did with the sprites suggests they rebuilt it from scratch..and then ported it 12 times to pretty much every system known to man, even the ones nobody owned! Just think, if more re-released version of Final Fantasy 1 had completely hinged on how it well the Wonder Swan Color version sold?! WE'D BETTER DO WHAT THEY SAY GUYS.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
XII was terrible because it was just an offline version of XI.

I wouldn't go that far, but it definitely reminded me of XI while playing it. The fact that, if I remember correctly, it was developed at the same time along similar lines, only re-enforces that.

XII would of course be the easiest to port, so it makes sense why that would be the next game they look at, but out of the 3D FF titles I've played, it's the one I enjoyed the least. I plan on picking up X/X-2 HD, I don't think I'd pick up XII HD.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Sorry, but to me, this is the worst news to FF fans who don't own a PS3 and any potential future releases are now squarely put on the shoulders of you PS3 owners.

How you can be a JRPG fan and not own a PS3 is beyond me.

And no citation is needed, 360 is dead in Japan and the Xbone won't even release there because Microsoft knows what a futile decisions it would be to do so.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
How you can be a JRPG fan and not own a PS3 is beyond me.

Because I'm not a JRPG fan. The only FF title I would like to see returned is FFXII. I couldn't care less about the rest.

Quote:
And no citation is needed, 360 is dead in Japan and the Xbone won't even release there because Microsoft knows what a futile decisions it would be to do so.

The citation remark was aimed at the statement SE wasn't ignoring the 360. I'm aware the XBox didn't do well in Japan, and I doubt their next console will change this.

Regardless, SE is re-releasing the game outside of Japan, so I don't even know why this idiotic conversation keeps going back to Japan, as though it's somehow only related to the country.

North America and Europe are not in Japan, which means NA/Eur PS3 owners have to buck up and pay the bills with Japan.

Or else no better FF for you!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
The likely reason for not porting X/X-2 HD to 360 is that they have a deal with Sony. Or it might be an old holdout in the contract from when it originally released stating that it can only launch on Playstation platforms.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
I have wondered whether there was some bad blood between Sakaguchi and Sony when he left to form Mistwalker. He immediately began making games for the 360, but has since switched to the Nintendo platforms. He has not made a game for a Sony platform since FF X-2 in 2003.

So I wouldn't be surprised to learn that much of this results from contract disputes or an exclusivity deal between S-E and Sony covering future Final Fantasy titles. As others have said, the 360 market in Japan is tiny, so granting exclusivity to Sony would not be a big loss. XII reportedly sold 2.4 million copies in Japan and about three million overseas as of March, 2007. I doubt a 360 release would have added substantially to those totals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4