• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Cancelled Gintama Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It seems like Viz has finally cancelled one of the best manga series ever! Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

If you go to Amazon.com or Simon&Schuster site, you will read the description and get this---

Quote:
Gin’s Hot Spring Travel Tips 1. If it looks like a haunted mansion, it probably is 2. Ghosts like hot baths too 3. Skid marks on your briefs are unavoidable 4. Return your rented DVDs before you leave 5. When being chased by angry ghosts you only need to run faster than Shinpachi Final Volume!

Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421528215/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0YQYPWZ21PVZZEYT94N6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Simon&Schuster - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Gin-Tama-Vol-23/Hideaki-Sorachi/Gin-Tama/9781421528212
holangjai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Aww, that's kind of upsetting. I loved the series. Just sucks that everyone else doesn't see it. Hopefully its a mistake like how Hayate's ad was a mistake, but since Strawberry 100% and other titles have been put on hiatus or have no news, I guess it seems likely.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
It seems kind of vague if that's the case. One one hand there's the volume description, on the other, the book was quarterly, so the next volume would hit in November, and VIZ's November shipping titles aren't listed on amazon yet. I'd wait until we see their full Nov/Dec listings before panicking.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Considering there is no announcements or news in regards to Viz canceling the manga, I highly doubt they have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReaKon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
Ah man, I hope not. I haven't read any yet but I just bought the 1st volume. Come to think of it, the same happened almost immediately after I bought reborn! vol1.....
Dan297na

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Considering there is no announcements or news in regards to Viz canceling the manga, I highly doubt they have.

This is Viz we are talking about here. They have never been up front with their customers. It's been over a year since they released the first Monster DVD set and they still have yet to announce the status of that.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

This is Viz we are talking about here. They have never been up front with their customers. It's been over a year since they released the first Monster DVD set and they still have yet to announce the status of that.

Send it into ANN's news email and they can verify it with their sources.They confirmed InuBaka's hiatus recently.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll still watch the anime when I get a chance, but the manga got dull pretty fast for me. Though I always thought it was at least a stronger seller for Viz than other SJ manga.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
it's a manga series i buy, so i'm not surprised at all if this is true. i have so many unfinished series because of dropping it so far in Sad
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

In Monster's case, there is at least some news source about it being possibly canceled due to low sales.

Wiki Article: "Viz currently has no plans to release any future box sets. No official cancellation announcement has been made, but it is speculated that due to low sales of the first box set, no further volumes will be released. The entire series is still available digitally via sites like iTunes and Amazon."

But either way, if there are no more new releases of the Gintama manga for, oh lets say, a year then I would start getting worried.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Viz really likes pretending that random volumes are the "Final Volume!" of a series, huh? They didn't do it for Reborn! though.

And honestly, it's their fault for wrongly promoting Gintama and Reborn!. Both of them started off with comedic aspects, but they became action series like Naruto and One Piece as time went on.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Viz really likes pretending that random volumes are the "Final Volume!" of a series, huh? They didn't do it for Reborn! though.

And honestly, it's their fault for wrongly promoting Gintama and Reborn!. Both of them started off with comedic aspects, but they became action series like Naruto and One Piece as time went on.

I don't think it's that they wrongly promoted either series [both were SJ titles, and those are promoted heavily via the magazine and backpage ads.... and there's also the fact that a lot of fans were reading new chapters illegally, so knew exactly what they'd be paying for], I think it's just that the market shrunk over the past few years, and with the Borders situation, VIZ now has to do what smaller pubs have been doing all along- put titles on hiatus that aren't selling well enough to merit continuing them.

We still don't have official confirmation with Gintama, but I'm assuming the reason Reborn was cancelled was because it had poor sales. There's a massive online fandom for it yes, but a lot of thems just watching fansubs or reading scanlations. Not saying it didn't have it's supporters who dutifully bought all the books [it's clear from posts I've seen on ANN that some folks were big fans and loved VIZ's edition], but it seems like they were a minority or otherwise not enough of a factor to keep it going [unless there's another reason for it's cancellation- which could be the case, thoguh sales are usually what kills comics]. It seems a fringe of series whose audiences don't buy them, or just plain don't have much of an audience [InuBaka was a fun title, but I hardly ever saw anyone talk about it] are headed to hiatus land.

Though that's not to say that's the fate for all manga titles- there's lots of titles doing just fine, making their numbers and getting completed. And obviously, there's some titles like Bleach, Naruto and Vampire Knight [which has been a big titles since it launched] that manage to reach beyond the Otaku websphere and attract buyers as well. Black Bird, Black Butler, Alice in the Country of Hearts [which managed to debut at a sensible time w/the Disney Alice movie being a monster hit], Hetalia, there's lots of titles that fans have truly embraced and kept companies afloat. I'm guessing that Sailor Moon will be a big hit for Kodansha [both it and Sailor V are already in Amazon's top 50 manga http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/13421141/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_4_last#2 ].

And keep in mind, it's always possible that if demand picks up, titles can get put off hiatus, launched with a new volume one, or switched to more economic formats [omnibuses].

Anyhoo, I guess I'm mostly saying don't panic, wait till we see what the official word is, and if Gintama is ending it's english run, well, it's not the end of the world. Though from all we know this is just a case of a summary not being right, given VIZ's Nov titles aren't listed yet.

http://www.rocketbomber.com/category/rankings/ Matt Blind posts occasional anaylsis of manga rankings, the latest from last December. If you check out the top 100 manga series, you'll get an idea of what titles are actualy popular in the bookstore market. It often doesn't match what you'd expect [apparently Wallflower's a good seller given it's in the Top 100- I guess that's why Kodansha's doing it in single vols rather than omnibi after Del Rey released some vols in an omnibus]

edit- wow, that was a longer post than I meant... checking Matt's numbers, Gintama vol.20 is the first vol I see on the list from that series at #532 of the top 2500 manga vols , so who knows?

Best to wait and see what VIZ's word is, as there's lots of reasosn a title can go on hiatus [bad sales, a crowded schedule, rights issues like ZatchBell, cutbacks], and I think Inubaka's the only title they've officially announced being on hiatus recently.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think it's that they wrongly promoted either series [both were SJ titles, and those are promoted heavily via the magazine and backpage ads....
Reborn! and Gintama are actually SJA (Shonen Jump Advance) series. SJA series don't get promoted as much as the regular SJ (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Ultimo, Yu-Gii-Oh!, Psyren, etc) series.

Quote:
Anyhoo, I guess I'm mostly saying don't panic, wait till we see what the official word is, and if Gintama is ending it's english run, well, it's not the end of the world. Though from all we know this is just a case of a summary not being right, given VIZ's Nov titles aren't listed yet.
Are you able to bring up a site that me (and others) can use to know when Viz annouce new titles for each month?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie:
Quote:

Well, by those standards, it should sell better, right? But Gin Tama's problem is it takes itself way too seriously later on, while Reborn's problem is you can't take it seriously, 'cus it feels like Scooby Doo characters if they got in a fight. Anyway, for these titles to have lasted as long as they did shows that readers gave 'em as much patience as they could. So this is obviously a "Japanese consumers have different tastes than gaijin" deal like One Piece. I guess, in this case, they prefer long-winded serials with cliff-hangers while we opt for compact scenarios which get to the point, and which have some relevance to the main story.

Paploo: Scantalations were probably a factor in low sales, but I think the real culprit is they just didn't live up to the hype. These are not horrible titles, mind you, but they just don't have enough excitement to merit continuing them.

Not sure why Inubaka did so horribly, though, because that one seemed to hit all the right quadrants. But if I were to guess, it'd be that the pet owners got too nutty for most readers. In other words, one too many "very special" arcs.

As for Wallflower, I'm guessing Kodansha just didn't like Del Rey putting it in omni format, but that it was necessary, due to diminishing returns in terms of sales. I don't doubt that it's a decent seller, but it probably does far less than when it first came out here.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Let's see.... SJAdvanced titles have had previews in the SJump magazine [Hunter X Hunter, Jojo and Gintama have all had promotional chapters, and I recall others as well]. The SJA titles were featured on VIZ's SJ website in assorted ways, and new volumes are always promoted in the monthly magazine [Jojo's last vol was spotlighted in the 1st issue of this year].

Their website did just get retooled to match the new style of the magazine a bit more [they used to have sample chapters for all their titles], but SJA titles still feature on their blog http://shonenjump.viz.com/category/manga , and in their email newsletters. And it looks like they have their own section on VIZ proper, http://www.viz.com/shonen-jump-advanced with new titles like Blue Exorcist being added to the label. These titles seem to have gotten the same level of promotion as other SJump titles, and some have been hits- Rosario+Vampire is still a massive hit for VIZ. I know they also continue to send random volumes of older titles to reviewers along with newer stuff they're promoting.

It also looks like some SJA titles are on their Ipad, such as Claymore and D.Grayman, so SJA titles aren't being left out

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/02/viz-media-continues-to-add-manga-titles-to-ipad-app/

I'm guessing it's just that in Reborn's case, it wasn't a popular enough title to meet the right sales levels. I suppose some titles could use more promotion, but then I imagine it's a case of it being more practical to promote new titles, in comparison to a title on it's 20th or 30th volume that's already been promoted a fair amount and seems to have found it's audience.

In terms of VIZ's release schedule, well, obviously there's the coming soon section of VIZ's website http://www.viz.com/ which is now on their front page, http://www.diamondcomics.com Diamond's Previews order forms which list titles coming out for VIZ and other comic publishers 2-3 months in advance for comic shop customers and retailers to preorder their titles, and retailers sites like http://www.rightstuf.com 's new/changed items section and simply searcin for VIZ on amazon in their book section, and sorting by publication date. Diamond and Rstuf tend to list stuff when release schedules are finalized and solicited, while Amazon posts tentative release schedules/plans further in advance [up till Oct for VIZ, later in the year for some other pubs, and up till Sept for Kodansha/Del Rey- it varies from pub to pub]

Tangent- I think another thing is that a lot of fans don't frequent sites that focus on legit anime/manga news like ANN, so they miss out on stuff like licensing announcements or reviews. It's a pretty common thing for someone to be unaware a new volumes out/a titles licensed/available at bookstores, and often those are also fans who want to know that stuff, so it's always good to hook em up with the right resources.

And even if they do frequent legit sites, there's so much information that stuff can get overlooked or fall through the cracks. It's a good thing companies announce licenses a good bits in advance, as it gives it time for the news to spread through news sites, word of mouth and such. So if you have some friends who need to know stuff, point em to the right resources and they can find out stuff pretty easily. I find for manga news, http://www.mangablog.net is a good resource in terms of linkblogging for stuff like news/reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4