• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Cancelled Gintama Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
sparty:
Quote:
A few chapters of "meh" are far less damaging than a few HUNDRED chapters of "meh" IMO. Arrancar Arc of Bleach anyone? Geeze, that went on forever and didn't accomplish much of anything.

Well, I'm not a fan of Bleach, anyway, but I guess the important difference to casual readers is the filler chapters in Gin Tama aren't even tied in to the main story. So even if the arcs go nowhere, you expect them to pay off later.

Quote:
Granted, American celebrities are better known worldwide, but we're still talking about stuff that is culturally specific to North America, and even specifically LA at times.

Yeah, some of it, like old American sitcoms, I'd agree with you on, but the rest is pretty well known globally.

Quote:
Rurouni Kenshin had a full glossary and historical notes in the back. Gintama is, in many ways, Bizarro Kenshin, but Viz didn't bother with a glossary in this case. :/

Viz probably assumed RK readers would get into GT most, so they'd already know the terminology beforehand.

Quote:
It's not a reminder; it's a buddy, someone who's in the same boat as you are (but has far wackier adventures).

Well, yeah, that's partly why I liked GT at first, but the characters don't really expand beyond those circumstances very well.

Quote:
I and others have found ourselves explaining Jokes to the younger fans, since, well they just weren't around at time to know what the hell Sorachi was referencing. Late 80's to mid 90's in-jokes do not make any sense to anyone who wasn't there (makes the 20somethings giggle madly though).

Well, that might be an issue, but most of the material should be contemporary enough for them to appreciate.

Quote:
What slow shit? Gintama IS NOT SLOW. It moves far more quickly than Naruto, Bleach, and the various other Dragonball clones (not One Piece, One Piece also chugs right along).

Sorry, but One Piece goes nowhere, and while I got bored with Naruto, too, at least it still hasn't lost its focus like OP. And I guess you could argue that GT's fast compared to those properties, but when you got too many bubbles on one page and the author does a horrible job of helping you decipher who's speaking, and who's being addressed, it can grate on you.

Paploo: Well, yeah, no one's buying it, but they did at one point; and it just wasn't their cup of tea.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sorry, but One Piece goes nowhere

I really have to disagree with you there. How much of it have you seen? If only the first 50-100 episodes, yeah, I could understand that. But after they really get into the Grand Line you get this context for everything that's happened and everything that's going on, and from this you can really tell where the characters are and where the story is going. There is a much, much greater scheme behind this plot than the first part of the story lets on, which squarely places One Piece into the realms of a modern epic.

And then you realize, from the beginning it really has been moving along pretty nicely, paced as necessarily determined by the intricate and multitudinous threads of plot and the much grander overarching story. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Leo: I've read the manga on and off, based off the U.S. Jump run, and other than new characters, it's still stuck on bloated battles, rather than the treasure-hunting series it was supposed to be.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who doesnt like One Piece should be publicly executed.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
That's a little cruel, don't you think? =/ One Piece is good, yes, but really good enough to read the series here and there in SJ or a few episodes on Funimation - it's not good enough to me to purchase it. It's just not my cup of tea. But because I'm not a fan of it, I should be executed? o.O

Everyone likes different things - saying extreme things like that is just being a jerk and really is unnecessary.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
population_tire wrote:
That's a little cruel, don't you think? =/ One Piece is good, yes, but really good enough to read the series here and there in SJ or a few episodes on Funimation - it's not good enough to me to purchase it. It's just not my cup of tea. But because I'm not a fan of it, I should be executed? o.O

Everyone likes different things - saying extreme things like that is just being a jerk and really is unnecessary.

I am pretty sure population_tire didn't mean it literally. My group of friends in the UK say things similar to this to each other all of the time. Think of it as a humerous way to say "I like it so much that I can't believe there are people who don't".

I bought one piece vol1 about 2 years ago. I thought it was ok and I would probably continue it in another couple of years. I am kind of trying not to buy OP and FMA as I know they won't go OOP any time soon and so I am concentrating my efforts on the series that are more likely to do so. Clearly, Gin Tama is one of those so I will be buying it all over the coming months (especially as book depository is only selling them at £4 a book in the UK).
Emerald Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It seems pretty popular so I don't believe it
spartydragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Heh, just now remembered I was arguing with someone here. Anime hyper

GATSU wrote:
Well, I'm not a fan of Bleach, anyway, but I guess the important difference to casual readers is the filler chapters in Gin Tama aren't even tied in to the main story. So even if the arcs go nowhere, you expect them to pay off later.

Uh... the filler IS the story. It's a character driven sitcom - although it has more continuity than your typical sitcom, it's still basically about the day to day adventures of the characters. Sometimes those adventures turn serious. *shrugs*

Quote:
Viz probably assumed RK readers would get into GT most, so they'd already know the terminology beforehand.

That's a lot for a publisher to assume.

Quote:
Well, yeah, that's partly why I liked GT at first, but the characters don't really expand beyond those circumstances very well.

Neither do the Simpsons.

Quote:
Well, that might be an issue, but most of the material should be contemporary enough for them to appreciate.

You'd be surprised. I mean, we are talking about an age bracket that considers anything over two or three years old "ancient".

Quote:
Sorry, but One Piece goes nowhere, and while I got bored with Naruto, too, at least it still hasn't lost its focus like OP. And I guess you could argue that GT's fast compared to those properties, but when you got too many bubbles on one page and the author does a horrible job of helping you decipher who's speaking, and who's being addressed, it can grate on you.

Lemme try this again... compared to what? Compared to a self contained graphic novel? Compared to a shorter series? Compared to Dragonball?

A LOT of stuff goes on in a single chapter of Gintama. I personally don't see it as cluttered, I can understand if others do. I agree that it is often a little hard to figure out who's saying what - that's where the original Japanese volumes come in handy as they use different fonts for different characters (why Viz didn't do the same, we will never know).
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see SJ advertise series that are NOT published in their magazine. The problem is that they too much on Naruto and Bleach which why othres series are not popular with the rest of the public
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
I would like to see SJ advertise series that are NOT published in their magazine. The problem is that they too much on Naruto and Bleach which why othres series are not popular with the rest of the public

Umm...plenty of Viz manga that are not Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are popular. For example the newly released Blue Exorcist has been on the NY Times best selling chart for the 4th week in a row and I know that wasn't anywhere in the magazine. Also series like Bakuman, D. Gray Man and Letter Bee have been cracking the charts despite only having small previews in the magazine.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:

Umm...plenty of Viz manga that are not Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are popular. For example the newly released Blue Exorcist has been on the NY Times best selling chart for the 4th week in a row and I know that wasn't anywhere in the magazine. Also series like Bakuman, D. Gray Man and Letter Bee have been cracking the charts despite only having small previews in the magazine.
Blue Exorcist chapter 2 was shown in the May 2011 issue of Shonen Jump magazine.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:

Blue Exorcist chapter 2 was shown in the May 2011 issue of Shonen Jump magazine.

Keyword here is preview, which Viz has done for pretty much everything under the Shonen Jump label. Even the SJ Advanced stuff so it;s not like they just say: here we have XXX title and then never say anything about it until the release date.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

To be fair though, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan vol 1 was also on the best seller list, but vol 2 was nowhere to be seen. I think the success of a series should be base on how volumes 2 onwards sell.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not be surprised. Most SJ readers seem to only read Naruto & Bleach because of too much merchandising. Maybe if they sell merchandise from other series(OP, Reborn, YuYu Hakusho, etc.), that manga might still get published
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Viz actually responds to a fan!

Quote:
@VIZ_Media Hello, I want to ask you this but how come Strawberry 100% isn't releasing the other volumes?

@EXFOOLYCOOLY the title is currently on hiatus. We are focusing on other series at this time, given the market conditions.

At least they didn't pretend that Volume 14 was the last volume... But I don't get why they don't just publish the last 5 volumes.

The same thing with Kurohime. I'm pretty sure Volume 18 is the last volume, and Viz already published 14 volumes of it. It can't be that hard to negotiate to get the rights to the last four volumes.

I sort of understand why they put Reborn on hiatus and outright canceled Gintama. They're long-runners, but they aren't on the Naruto scale in North America. Viz only published Knights of the Zodiac to the very end because the series was already done in Japan. I'm sure that they would've pretended that some random volume was the "Final Volume!" if it was still ongoing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4