• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
In general, it looks interesting, cause that season already have a magical shoujo with the Mai Kadowaki in the main role - Fate Kaleid Prisma Illya. And considering that this season is full of new titles in the same genre, it's scheduled interesting battle...

By the way, the composer really is Tatsuya Katou - not Hitoshi Sakimoto, as mentioned earlier? I'm just surprised this fact - Katou is busy on this season producing the soundtrack for the same Prisma Illya, and also wrote the music for Free! from KyoAni. I'm happy for this composer - he's really awesome, but I absolutely have no idea that he will be able to write the soundtrack for three different titles of the same season.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
In general, it looks interesting, cause that season already have a magical shoujo with the Mai Kadowaki in the main role - Fate Kaleid Prisma Illya. And considering that this season is full of new titles in the same genre, it's scheduled interesting battle...

By the way, the composer really is Tatsuya Katou - not Hitoshi Sakimoto, as mentioned earlier? I'm just surprised this fact - Katou is busy on this season producing the soundtrack for the same Prisma Illya, and also wrote the music for Free! from KyoAni. I'm happy for this composer - he's really awesome, but I absolutely have no idea that he will be able to write the soundtrack for three different titles of the same season.

'Mahou shoujo' or 'Magical Girl' (Please avoid flawed conjugation). And how do you know it's a show in that genre?
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
All of the early impressions(from prescreening ) for this anime were that it is dark and very Madoka.I however am not very interested in this show,it seems like it will be very boring.
Quote:
This next season looks like it's going to be a ton of fun. Anyone else excited about Uchoten Kazoku?

Heck yeah I am,also Gatchaman crowd will save be great.....story-wise the lack of trailer tells me that they are having some problems with animation.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
'Mahou shoujo' or 'Magical Girl' (Please avoid flawed conjugation). And how do you know it's a show in that genre?

That's already showed in the trailer with the transformated forms of heroines, you know.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:02 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
All of the early impressions(from prescreening ) for this anime were that it is dark and very Madoka.I however am not very interested in this show,it seems like it will be very boring.

Many people weren't impressed by PMMM's first episode either, said that the story was too formulaic. That's not to say that it is going to be the next PMMM, only that the first episode of a show can only tell you so much.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
So how exactly do you tell if this is a Magical Girl show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPz-ycVZ08
How exactly do you tell that it's not a Magical Girl show?
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Many people weren't impressed by PMMM's first episode either, said that the story was too formulaic. That's not to say that it is going to be the next PMMM, only that the first episode of a show can only tell you so much.

Yeah expect that Madoka actually had really good staff working on it ,meanwhile the staff for this new anime is pretty bad.I am not confident that they can actually do mature and meaningful work.
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
So the attack of the Madoclones has begun...

For some reason the trailer for this one isn't grabbing me that much. Of course, Madoka was pretty unremarkable at first too, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and check out the first episode. We'll see.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
good voices at least. overall summer doesnt seem so exciting for me. then again we just had an amazing Fall,Winter, and Spring...Has to slow down sometime Anime hyper

Rahxephon91 wrote:
The Summer looks pretty dire honestly. Not a lot that looks like something I want to watch.

Every season people say that the last season(s) were awesome and that this one is terrible. Rolling Eyes You think people would learn to relax by now.

---------

So why will the spotlights be spotty this season?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
So the post-Madoka era of Magical Girls seems to have arrived. I'm looking forward to it.

The description definitely has Madoka written all over it. And lots of melodrama, but preview blurbs are always like that. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

danilo07 wrote:
Yeah expect that Madoka actually had really good staff working on it ,meanwhile the staff for this new anime is pretty bad.I am not confident that they can actually do mature and meaningful work.

Well, Madoka was Shaft's first original series, with characters designed by the Hidamari Sketch artist, and a writer who was, at the time, mainly cult-famous for a few insanely disturbing visual novels. That doesn't really sound like a winning recipe...but it was. And NGE was created by a rapidly self-bankrupting studio with a mentally disturbed fan-hating director, but it's one of the most influential anime ever. You never know.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 am Reply with quote
What? Is that it? Surely not! Not much change there if it is. Rolling Eyes
Detective Mayako

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
I have watched too few magical girl anime to pass judgment on this one (just Mai Hime and Mai Otome), but I think I'll give il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion a try. Though, honestly, the thing I am tired of most in anime is plots centered around the "good versus evil" dynamic, and after I had a waterboarding's worth of Devil Survivor 2 this past season I'm not sure I could take another like that. Hopefully Day Break Illusion will be something more intricate.

For the returning series in the summer season, I have my eyes on the 3rd season of Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai and the second of Monogatari. And for the new ones, my list has Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi at the top, followed by Blood Lad, then Gin no Saji, then Free! and the aforementioned Day Break Illusion, and finally Uchouten Kazoku, in order of highest initial evaluation to lowest. That said, I don't think initial evaluations are worth much.

I'm also interested in the new Rozen Maiden but I'm going to research the past versions of the series before I try the new one. I've never watched any of them.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
Detective Mayako wrote:
I'm also interested in the new Rozen Maiden but I'm going to research the past versions of the series before I try the new one. I've never watched any of them.

No need to see them, cause new Rozen Maiden considered as a reboot from the beginning.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
So why will the spotlights be spotty this season?

Very few production teams have actually sent Justin requested material, just a day ago he only had material for one series.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3088953#3088953
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The Summer looks pretty dire honestly. Not a lot that looks like something I want to watch.

Dire indeed. I'm looking at 5, tops, that have potential for me (Servant x Service, Monogatari, Gin no Saji, InuHasa, and Genshiken Nidaime). And 4 of those (all but Monogatari) are really just my picks as least likely to be terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10