• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Story of the Class

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

And most importantly, you've played Tales of Graces. An action rpg. So whats the problem here? And I can't buy "it's un FF" because that dosen't mean much when it comes to battle systems.

Its kinda weird. I don't really have an issue with action RPGs if they go to random battles or a different battle screen, like a Tales or Star Ocean. But when you actually fight the enemies normally, like a Kingdom Hearts, I don't like it at all. The camera controls are probably a big part of it (in Tales and Star Ocean, they are static, yet in Kingdom Hearts its constantly getting in the way), and also the "Fighting game" kinda fighting system instead of just spamming the same button is more fun. FFXV looks to use the Kingdom Hearts style, though.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
I mean would you like FMA without Whinry? Fate Zero without Saber, a character you said that if Type Moon dosen't use, you won't buy?

I do like Winry quite a bit (enough to have one of her posters on my wall), but she's only part of why I like FMA. I like battle shonen stuff almost as much as moe stuff, so even without the cute girls I like them a lot. It certainly doesn't hurt it though, since some shows can really be improved by it (see Fairy Tail).

With Fate/Zero, I believe the statement I made about Saber was regarding the Fate/Extra series. I want Saber to always be playable in those since she's the only character I care about using.

Fate/Zero probably would've still been watchable without her, but she is my favorite anime girl after all, so it wouldn't have been the same. Her presence alone brings it from a pretty good show to a contender for best anime of the 2010s so far.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Its kinda weird. I don't really have an issue with action RPGs if they go to random battles or a different battle screen, like a Tales or Star Ocean. But when you actually fight the enemies normally, like a Kingdom Hearts, I don't like it at all. The camera controls are probably a big part of it (in Tales and Star Ocean, they are static, yet in Kingdom Hearts its constantly getting in the way), and also the "Fighting game" kinda fighting system instead of just spamming the same button is more fun. FFXV looks to use the Kingdom Hearts style, though.

Clearly this means we need Platinum Games to team up with someone and co-develop an RPG, with P* doing the gameplay and the other company the...other stuff..

I mean...it will never happen, but it would automatically become the best RPG to ever goddamn exist.

Also the camera is not static at all in Tales, it constantly swings around to highlight who you're fighting.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
I see feminists swarming Final Fantasy XIII and If My Heart Had Wings. Why has feminism been such a popular topic of discussion lately?

Hat in Time looks great as aside from Pokémon, I grew up on Nintendo's best-selling first and second party titles as a kid. Looks great! Everything else doesn't tip my fancy.
HopelessOsaka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

People complained on and on about how FFX-2 was junk because it was nothing but "Cute girls". Either side is going to be upset when none of the playable characters appeal to them.

Basically, think about it like this: If FFXV main characters all looked straight out of a female idol group, would you not be complaining? Knowing your history, you'd be the first one to be complaining about how SquareEnix is doing nothing but otaku pandering now.

I'm curious, do you care about anything in media other than cute anime girls?

Well some of my favorite anime don't really focus on them (Fate/Zero, One Piece, Code Geass, Fullmetal Alchemist), I just don't like watching or playing stuff thats obviously not aimed at my demographic. A game focusing on fujoshi pandering designs and "Cool guys doing cool things" isn't really something I'm interested in. Its no different from how some people, like yourself, don't like cute girls doing cute things... different strokes for different folks.

In other media, cute girls are pretty important though. All of my favorite games of the last couple years other than Skyrim have all been heavily focused around cute girls (Fire Emblem Awakening, Tales of Graces, Atelier Meruru, Neptunia Victory, Project Diva Extend, Final Fantasy XIII-2, etc), and American video games/live action doesn't really interest me much since the American style of story telling and character design isn't very engaging.

All of the fandoms you listed as favorites have substantial fujoshi fanbases for them, and at least for Code Geass there were moments of "pandering," so to speak, if lighter than the male-female ship teases (Suzaku and Lelouch had their moments, and although R2 might not count due to being a "crazy shit happens" season, Rolo was a part of it, and he basically had the same ante as Kallen--in the same episode Lelouch kissed her, Rolo had personal space issues, etc.). If compared to those fandoms, I honestly don't think FFXV will be any better or worse canon-wise. It's not going to be a "Free!", with focus on guys taking off their shirts for female viewers as well as swimming and whatnot.

If you mean their looks coupled with their prominence, though, I suppose I can understand, though for myself there's a huge difference between attractive-looking characters like in Love Live! compared to, say, overtly-male-base-pandering ones like in Senran Kagura, and FFXV would equate for me as a male-cast version of Love Live! than Senran Kagura. Personally, I only tend to stay away from shows or games that are incredibly or even generally overt in their (usually male-oriented) fanservice, mainly because there's a torrent of it every year, and I've long grown tired of it--the vapid "cut-out-of-trope-descriptions" characters oft lacking in development from worse ones don't help. This might apply less so with games because many games haven't moved past the "constant boobs or/and butts focus" stage yet.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

I mean would you like FMA without Whinry? Fate Zero without Saber, a character you said that if Type Moon dosen't use, you won't buy?

People would be wrong if they assumed that FFXV would not have any female main characters, it's simply unknown if they are playable. Nomura mentioned in a Dengeki interview that Stella and a knight female are main characters, and they're totally gorgeous in my opinion. Though it did start off as a spin-off game and thus didn't technically have to pay attention to the main titles when it began, considering that they did begin to think about changing the title to a main series title only two years after they started development, who knows, it might be more possible than people are tentatively thinking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5