• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sonora saying that the one who has the most fun wins was extremely hypocritical given her attitude last week towards Yura giving up when it wasn't fun any more. Sonora is basically saying the one who has the most fun wins, except when you don't make the most of your leader's unwanted sacrifice and then she gets pissy with you.

How is giving up without a fight more fun than going down in a blaze of glory? Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sigh.

Is this going to go on all season now, dtm42? I've seen this pattern many times before; once something in your series gets in your craw like this, you just keep endlessly harping on it.

Do us all a favor and just drop the damn issue. We're all sick and tired of you whining about it and I'm going into complete "tune him out if he starts talking about it" mode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti, this is going out in a blaze of glory. An unarmed girlplayer in her first tournament going up against two experienced players (one of whom is the best in the competition) who already knew where she was hiding is going to be a very short and embarrassing last stand. Maybe if they didn't know where she was and she could ambush them then yeah, that would have been another story. If Yura still had a chance then giving up would have been poor sport, but there was no question she was going to lose anyway, and very quickly. And since in many games including go resignations are common and not looked down on, one cannot blame her as a newbie for thinking that resigning in airsoft is also acceptable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
You only resign a game of go when the rules and mathematics of the current situation make it impossible for you to win even if your opponent throws the game from that point forward. That was not the situation here.

And again, it would be a lot more fun to make a crazy dive for the gun than raising your hands in defeat. Maybe her opponent's gun would jam, who knows? The possibility of her winning was not zero until she surrendered. 999.999999 trillion to one, sure, but not zero.

In this case going out in a blaze of glory is mimicking your action heroes in grand, adrenalin-fueled style while having a ton of fun, not surrendering with trembling hands as if the bullets were real.

Let me remind you again of what Sonora's "verbally abusive" words were: "Laugh to the very end. Why be afraid of losing?" I fail to see any hypocrisy in what she said in this last episode - she's been entirely consistent.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sonora also said in the recent episode that being shot is just as important is shooting. That means you should respect each player for the fact that someone has to be on the receiving end, and being as afraid of it as she was, was disrespectful. It also means that it is important to learn from all of your losses, and Sonora showed Yura what her loss actually was in the match, and she learned from it in starting the steps to be a stronger person.

Can we stop talking about it please, as I hope we can all agree that something good came out of it that probably would not have otherwise.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I was curious about this episode because of the comments of those who aren't watching this legitimately on CR - gotta support those fansubbers, right!?! Rolling Eyes - giving advance notice that there was something trippy about it.

Didn't really dig it. Man, GuP is head and shoulders above this show in every single category. This show is a potential chop if it doesn't start grabbing me in the next eppie or two.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
Man, this show is just all over the map. It totally won me over in episode 1 with it's quirky sense of humor and seeming awareness of it's own silliness. But after a really bland episode 2 and a really weirdly melodramatic episode 3 and an overall feeling that it was falling more and more into the same pandering tropes of every other cute girls do a thing show I was getting pretty sick of it. And then just as I'm contemplating dropping it it busts out this bizarre, trippy story that was...well also pretty absurdly melodramatic but totally weird and surreal enough to pull it off. So I guess now things are looking up now...except apparently we're doing a beach episode next. *sigh*
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm half waiting for the mecha to show up at this point. LOL
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
^
While introducing Mecha into a story that doesn't need it is a standard Japanese trick coughutawarerumonocough, I don't believe this show will go that route. I think we will instead see Yura go into a "No. Not without incident" trance and do a master-level gun kata fight with that stuck-up girl from the opposing team. Now that would be an awesome fight to do with airsoft.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
While introducing Mecha into a story that doesn't need it is a standard Japanese trick coughutawarerumonocough, I don't believe this show will go that route. I think we will instead see Yura go into a "No. Not without incident" trance and do a master-level gun kata fight with that stuck-up girl from the opposing team. Now that would be an awesome fight to do with airsoft.

Laughing Laughing This is hilarious!

When I read your post, I was automatically going to link that fight from Equilibrium. I managed to find a video, only then checking your links to find that you linked that exact one. Laughing
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I freakin love that movie.

And of course I wasn't serious about the mecha. Although I do actually think we'll likely see gun-kata in not too long. It's a pretty easy thing for an anime to pull off too. I remember a manga I read where these two foreign girls were doing a show-and-tell to the class and it was an airsoft gun-kata thing and got a funny reaction from their teacher.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh goody, more people who like Equilibrium.

Bango wrote:
And of course I wasn't serious about the mecha.

Oh, I know you weren't serious about it, and neither was I. But the Japanese do have a real issue with using Mecha where it isn't appropriate.

Bango wrote:
Although I do actually think we'll likely see gun-kata in not too long. It's a pretty easy thing for an anime to pull off too.

My subs for episode four actually mentioned that Sonora was training Yura in gun kata, which is why it was in my mind that Yura could go all Preston on people. Heck, her callsign could be 'Cleric'.

And if you want gun kata in Anime, there are two that I know of, and both pay homage to Equilibrium.

Trinity Blood has a guy who uses a duel-wield gun kata as his combat style; he even adopts certain poses taken from the movie and has the forearm-mounted clip reloaders. And there is a fight scene that is a direct homage of the opening slaughter in the dark (even down to the red-hot glowing gun barrels). Here it is. And here's a comparison.

Meanwhile Grenadier's final fight scene references Equilibrium's final fight (but with the addition of breast-bounce reloads, which are as awesome as they sound). Seriously, if you watch one video today then watch this one, it's awesome.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I did not quite say that I like it, but yes I do like Equilibrium. I actually found out about it through an English class, we were learning about various things like Animal farm and such, and this movie was one the things we watched. I consider the movie to be among the top tiers of over the top gunfights

I think that School Rumble also did a reference to Equilibrium also. It seems that it might be up their ally if they want to do an over top shooting dual.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
O
(but with the addition of breast-bounce reloads, which are as awesome as they sound

my favorite part of the show
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Saw both shows, loved both shows. Note that it was for entirely different reasons:)

Though if they don't put mecha in everything I'll likely never have my hot-blooded sports anime about giant robots and skyscraper-sized Caber Toss that I've always wanted. Mostly just so I can hear JAM Project shout "MECHA CABAAAAAA!!!"

I'm looking forward to some wild high-energy airsoft duel. I imagine Yura will either pick up a more direct rival so her and Sonara can split off for duels or Sonora will be out of commission and Yura will settle things in her stead by the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9