• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Cat's Eye, Princess Nine, Campanella, Sengoku Collection Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Always glad to see TRSI/Noizomi putting out shows. I think they have one of the best business strategies in the game.

They pick up niche shows, and sell them for affordable prices. They don't need much marketing, other than con and website announcements because anyone that would buy the shows would know about it.

Always wanted to see Princess Nine. And, I'm a sucker for old school Shoujo, so I might have to check out Cat's Eye as well.

Probably pass on Campanella and Sengoku. Never seen either, and could watch them free if I wanted. Sengoku looked okay, I've heard good reviews. I may watch a few episodes, and then decide.

Nice picks though, keep it up TRSI/Noizomi!

And +1 for LoGH license!

Last edited by MrHatandClogs on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cat's Eye looks interesting to me - I'm definitely into old-timey anime. I already own Princess Nine so I won't double dip but I'm very happy the show is getting another shot at snagging some new viewers. Campanella ... I tried watching the first eppie when it came out and was vastly underwhelmed. Same with Sengoku Collection. Anyway, I too hope RS has all of Cat's Eye.
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
While I like to see that they're "thinking about Blu-Ray", and I can understand the rationale' behind it for older titles "Sengoku Collection" not being in Blu-Ray doesn't make any sense. If it's a licensing concern, I'd really love for most companies to be upfront in saying, "We can't get the Blu-Ray rights."
I can't purchase anything for a title made after 2008 and it NOT be a BD release.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
And, I'm a sucker for old school Shoujo, so I might have to check out Cat's Eye as well.

It's actually a Shounen Jump title.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
TypicalUsername wrote:
While I like to see that they're "thinking about Blu-Ray", and I can understand the rationale' behind it for older titles "Sengoku Collection" not being in Blu-Ray doesn't make any sense. If it's a licensing concern, I'd really love for most companies to be upfront in saying, "We can't get the Blu-Ray rights."
I can't purchase anything for a title made after 2008 and it NOT be a BD release.

Shawne said the reason right out of the gate: Blu-Ray is still relatively expensive to release. The shows TRSI licenses tend to be niche titles that aren't going to get the kinds of numbers that FUNimation & Setai's BDs likely tend to do, so doing a BD for something that won't end up warranting the extra costs is just not a smart thing to do, financially.

Even Discotek has only done one BD so far, Little Nemo, and that was only because it was a well-known, "mainstream" title back in its day so there's better chance at extra sales there, not to mention extra content like including the original Japanese audio for the very first time. Just because BD has existed for a good while doesn't mean that it has become as cheap to produce as DVD is.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah! Cat's Eye! Very Happy Way to go Right Stuf!

I hope this means a possible license rescue for City Hunter as well!

And I know this is going to sound like a pipe dream but I wouldn't mind seeing the French dub for Cat's Eye (known as Cat Eyes) also on the set as I heard that this show is a cult classic among French anime fans.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Sengoku Collection cant wait for this one
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I knew they would pick up Cat's Eye! Very Happy And Princess Nine is a very nice pick up.
TypicalUsername

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
TypicalUsername wrote:

Shawne said the reason right out of the gate: Blu-Ray is still relatively expensive to release. The shows TRSI licenses tend to be niche titles that aren't going to get the kinds of numbers that FUNimation & Setai's BDs likely tend to do, so doing a BD for something that won't end up warranting the extra costs is just not a smart thing to do, financially.

Even Discotek has only done one BD so far, Little Nemo, and that was only because it was a well-known, "mainstream" title back in its day so there's better chance at extra sales there, not to mention extra content like including the original Japanese audio for the very first time. Just because BD has existed for a good while doesn't mean that it has become as cheap to produce as DVD is.

My comment on licensing was more of a general statement, not limited to TRSI.
I realize that it's not as cheap to produce. Why the hell would you offer a series in any other format? I don't even know how there is a market for crappy 480p DVD on something produced recently.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Bravo to TRSI / Nozomi for Cat's Eye. I really enjoyed watching it as it was released by Imaginasian. However, in the back of my mind I worried about the long term durability of the dvd-r's they were burned onto.

This will be an easy double dip. Thanks Right Stuf!
Nilrem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Great news from TRSI/Nozomi Smile

Princess 9 is one of my not so guilty pleasures and has been OOP for too long Smile (especially as some of the ADV discs seemed to die off after a while).

Blessing of the Campanella, Cats Eyes and Space Adventure Cobra are also likely buys for me Smile
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I've always been interested in Princess Nine and Cat's Eye, and it's so awesome to have a chance to finally watch them both. Very Happy The old-school announcements and releases this year have been great so far, I look forward to 2014.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
willag wrote:
...I may just buy it again, because it's the Right Stuf, baby (Ooooo)!

*tilts head downward, glares over glasses and shakes head slowly*

You're the reason why I sing this song.
Oh oh oh oh oh

C'mon, I can't be the only person who's ever started singing that song at the mention of Right Stuf's name!

Personally, I've always preferred "The White Stuff" by Weird Al Yankovic. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Princess Nine back in the spotlight again. This was one of ADV old acquisitions that almost seemed like it wasn't going to happen. Good to see folks will have a chance to enjoy this one.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Hell yeah! Cat's Eye! Very Happy Way to go Right Stuf!

I hope this means a possible license rescue for City Hunter as well!

Ohhh yeah, high 5! I already have every City Hunter season and every movie/special but the glory of Ryo Saeba NEEDS to be spread!

Hail Ryo Saeba, great grandfather to Spike Spiegel!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4