• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if there's some questionable voice acting/ direction going on here. Is it really appropriate for an apparition that is apparently hundreds of years old in origin to have a voice like a street punk?
But the pushy street punk who makes people submit because he's aggressive and the person he's talking to isn't is exactly the kind of character Nadeko is vulnerable to, so I'm sure it makes sense in some creator's head.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
evilernie wrote:
Pacal II wrote:

I liked the idea of zombies being actually degraded vampires. Quite an original idea in my opinion.

the tsukihime visual novel used the zombies as degraded vamipres years ago its explained in arquids arc.

As does Hellsing as well.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Nadeko and Shinobu are the best. It was fun watching my 2 favorite girls talking it out.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if there's some questionable voice acting/ direction going on here. Is it really appropriate for an apparition that is apparently hundreds of years old in origin to have a voice like a street punk? That's the image I get in my head when the snake talks... pompadour hairstyle, cigarette or toothpick in his mouth, holding a bat on his shoulder. Maybe it's the VA? maybe he played some punk character in another show I've seen?

Yet, it mostly continues to make a dialogue dependent story engaging enough to want to see more... often by putting scantily clad quasi-lolis on screen... but it works.
I kind of like the fact that the apparitions voices are not too "typical". Usually you'd have deep voices with just too much echo. While here they seem like voices of normal guys you meet on the street. I think the voice of the Tsubasa Tiger was even stranger in that sence, then the one of the white snake.
ishmael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
An automatic interesting point is why would they say "Medusa" and not "gorgon", and I think the point is that this story run very close to the tale of Medusa .

Honestly I thought it was simply because a lot of people use the word Medusa to describe snake-haired women, or that it was simply easier to prononce in Japanese.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14
Nadeko ftw. I thought Kana Hanazawa did a terrific job once again portraying her character in this especially when "she" went all vengeful this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Holy %$@#. I didn't know Kana Hanazawa could talk like that. Are there any other anime characters she did with that voice? I found a new avatar Angry Nadeko
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 14, Nadeko Medusa 3

That was indeed glorious, spoiler[pissed off Nadeko] was very good. Also note that Nadeko even agreed that her outburst was her own doing, and the punk like characteristics were similar to what the snake has been like. In my opinion is further proof that the snake patterns came largely from Nadeko herself, probably like how many of the supernatural elements blur the line of being an aspect of the person.

I am especially interested in how she claimed she has not been holding some spoiler[sense of responsibility but actually been annoyed over the situation and being forced into her role]. Seemed to come spoiler[crashing down when she shifted from being] a "I am not cute" girl who obviously really wants people to think of her as such. You might think of it as an ugly side what she showed here, but it was a little hot (as much as I can say that about a second year junior high girl).
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Haven't actually started watching this season yet but I've been wondering....how is the fan service in comparison to the previous two?

I'm hoping it's more like Bake than Nise.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Haven't actually started watching this season yet but I've been wondering....how is the fan service in comparison to the previous two?

This is more like Bake. You won't have to worry about orgasmic toothbrush sessions. Although a big reason for that is because spoiler[Araragi's first appearance occurs near the end of ep 5]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

This is more like Bake. You won't have to worry about orgasmic toothbrush sessions. Although a big reason for that is because spoiler[Araragi's first appearance occurs near the end of ep 5]

Cool. Thanks for the answer.
The toothbrush scene was so hilariously over the top it didn't really bug me. I thought the Shinobu bath scene was the worst part in the series. It was a bit much.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Holy %$@#. I didn't know Kana Hanazawa could talk like that. Are there any other anime characters she did with that voice? I found a new avatar Angry Nadeko

only role I can think of is Ichiko from Binbougami-ga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
No talking about episode 15 yet?

Is everyone just speechless?

It's rare to see insanity played so well in anime lately.
The entire story and how everything came to be makes perfect sense to me.

Although I think I see the intended cracks in the "next episode preview" set-up. spoiler[I'm pretty sure there's some self delusion on Nadeko's part and the final showdown as set-up in the preview is not the reality of the situation. The line about everyone gathering for the showdown being "perfect" raised a flag to me.

]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I have to watch episodes before I start again today.

Episode 15, Nadeko Medusa 5

So everything up to now spoiler[was just a delusion set up by Nadeko who was not happy with her situation, and influenced by the girl with the long sleeves who filled in the ideas of snakes, the Arragi residence, and the scrunchie]. The reason Nadeko was spoiler[late that time was because the conversation went on for longer than we saw, and she let her parents hear her leave so Koyomi would go out looking for her and she could get in].

And proof that the spoiler[outburst was entirely Nadeko, no supernatural influence at, and likely a peek behind the cute innocent mask] she wears. Something she fools herself and possibly us the audience with an altered image, but others can see the truth. I think that the supposed preview at the end is spoiler[entirely fake, it is a delusion set up by Nadeko of what she thinks will be perfect, but things won't go the way she wants them to].
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I was confused by the ending. Was the spoiler[trailer another delusion? Or is she going to be the final boss in the end of season since her arc is over.] Next week is going to be another recap episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14