• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So I am kind of hoping that I was wrong with my theory before of spoiler[Cereberum being her dad]. But on the other hand.....

I might actually agree with you FenixFiesta, Day Break Illusion is just missing the soul, it has other stuff right, but just missing the one organic part that makes you really care. Fantasista Doll has been doing quite well with less.

Although I think there are still praise worthy parts, like I thought that spoiler[Ginka's return] was kind of cool (don't try to ruin I with logic just yet). And I thought that there must have been something to do with spoiler[Luna going offensive], I feel like I should have paid attention to that part of her before now. Luna and Seira making up was nice.

Also, about any revelations this episode of why spoiler[Fuyuna attacked Akari], we can't trust any of it since it is likely a trick, or something spoiler[Akari already thinks and hates herself about].
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode for many reasons.

First of all, in many magical girl shows, this would be the episode where the heroine used her special ability to save everyone or made some honorable sacrifice, and then powers up for her final showdown with the boss. However, here spoiler[Akari does not get some special power to fight the enemy with, and instead she tries to make a sacrifice but it gets twisted by Cerebrum. It turns her into a big failure, which I think worked wonders for helping the audience connect emotionally with her. She wasn't some unrelatable, super-powered magical girl, she was just a confused girl who was being manipulated by the bad guy.]

Also, I really love it when you have a bad guy who is smart enough, and effective enough, to actually break down the heroes. There are plenty of straight-up insane and sadistic villains out there, but very few of them have insight into what makes our heroes tick. It's the difference between some of the great comic villains (like the Joker, Lex Luthor, etc.) and the dime-a-dozen wackos you see in a lot of media. The great ones know how to get into the head of the hero and expose their flaws/failures. Even though spoiler[Cerebrum was clearly twisting Akari's relationship with Fuyuna, he wasn't totally off base.] There was enough truth in what he was saying that Akari couldn't just ignore it, just like what he did with Luna. Cerebrum may not be the best villain I have seen in a show, but he is pretty damn good.

I am also so glad that they did bring everything full circle and focus on spoiler[the killing of Fuyuna at this point. It was something that happened so suddenly at the outset,] and I think a lot of people figured that the show would just forget about it and move on. If this had been a lesser show, that would have happened. However, they were clearly using that abrupt and violent beginning to set up Akari's ultimate emotional downfall. It works wonderfully. Every time I watched spoiler[Akari live through killing her cousin again and again, I felt more sorry for her and wanted to figure out how she could end the cycle.]

Also, the whole thing with spoiler[Cerebrum planning to mate with Akari]. I was completely surprised by that one, since I was expecting him to be her father. That theory is pretty much thrown out the window (unless her father is really REALLY sick). Again, the show is quite capable of tossing our predictions on their head.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
We don't always see eye to eye on things, ChibiKangeroo, but I have appreciated the time and effort you've been putting in pointing out the things you like about this title. You've generally been saying things that I feel but am simply too lazy to put in words. Not only that, but you've pointed out things that blew past me on a first viewing.

I minorly disagree with you on Cere-bum ('coz that's what he is!) and his ability tospoiler[ get into Akari's head with respect to Fuyuna. I think his experience with Luna was a much better illustration of that. His needling of Akari is not resonating as strongly with me. Akari really wasn't in the wrong where Fuyuna was concerned with the possible exception of not realizing how her cousin was feeling.] I kind of agree with Crowlia that the show came up with a lame reason for spoiler[Fuyuna to turn into a Daemonia and that is hurting them in their attempt to use Akari's "real feelings" against her the way it was able to work with Luna.]
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Here's my take on the matter: spoiler[Fuyuna seemed to turn into a daemonia for no reason other than anyone else in the show has. It's just a thing that can happen. However, Cerebrum knows that he can probably make Akari feel guilty about it, so he's trying to do so. Also, maybe she was turned into a daemonia specifically to awaken Akari's powers.]

I'm a little annoyed that spoiler[Ginka's back. It could turn out ok, but if the explanation we get is stupid I won't like it. I tend not to like it when characters come 'back from the dead', because it negates the impact of their death in the story and makes it seem like a cheap thing for drama. I won't completely pass judgement here, but it could be a bit of a sticking point for me]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
What might potentially annoy to no end is if spoiler[in the finale the girls or even just Akari gains a last minute "super form" that appears only for the finale, not because it is a "last minute upgrade that is hand waved because Akari can change fate because she wills it" but because it is yet another Modern Magical Girl trope thrown in and the series just wants to complete the check list]
But it might happen, and I will still express my annoyance afterwards.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the only thing that really pisses me off to no end it the treatment of the spoiler[counterpart card subplot]. It had a good setup, and was a very good plot thread, but at this point, it looks like the that thread's going nowhere, especially with spoiler[Ginka being alive for no clear reason]. Now it just seems like a way to spoiler[keep Ginka out of the action]. Other than that, I felt that the problems with Fuyuna and the Madoka parallels were more nitpicks I'd have than anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, that all really rides on what the explanation for spoiler[Ginka's return is, because I suspect that the counterpart cards and Cerebrum's motivations to mate with Akari are explained by the same underlying principles. We don't yet really know very much about how the cards work, and what governs them, and to me it seems that what the show is building to hinges on some kind of explanation about that. It seems that part of what's going on is that the tensions between the opposite 'poles' of reality, namely the daemonia and elemental tarot users are being maintained as a balance of power by the shadowy organization we only see as a disembodied voice in the Doric column room. Maybe that's what the astralux is, a manifestation of that tension. It would explain quite a bit, and fits well with the show's themes, which feature metaphors to catastrophes and commentaries on why and how bad things happen, and how people should react.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
We don't always see eye to eye on things, ChibiKangeroo, but I have appreciated the time and effort you've been putting in pointing out the things you like about this title. You've generally been saying things that I feel but am simply too lazy to put in words. Not only that, but you've pointed out things that blew past me on a first viewing.

I minorly disagree with you on Cere-bum ('coz that's what he is!) and his ability tospoiler[ get into Akari's head with respect to Fuyuna. I think his experience with Luna was a much better illustration of that. His needling of Akari is not resonating as strongly with me. Akari really wasn't in the wrong where Fuyuna was concerned with the possible exception of not realizing how her cousin was feeling.] I kind of agree with Crowlia that the show came up with a lame reason for spoiler[Fuyuna to turn into a Daemonia and that is hurting them in their attempt to use Akari's "real feelings" against her the way it was able to work with Luna.]

Thanks. I do agree that the part of Fuyuna becoming a Daemonia hasn't been completely mapped out. They are leaving a lot of that to our interpretation, but I suppose I am okay with that at this point myself.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

OTOH if I hear one more "Oneetan... Oneetan... Oneetan... NANO" I'm probably going to throw the computer out the window.

Why wait until then?
They're one of the ups of the show for people who, you know, like cute girls, not "manly" men.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I find the triplets adorable, myself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
I like the triplets too. They can be kind of annoying, but they are adorable. Their designs remind me of Sengoku collection.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I personally could do without the triplets. Well, I could do without them talking like that.

Yeah actually the main jam points in this show for me are all these weird little 'otaku moments', like the triplets getting grabby on Akari, and a lot of the 'calm before the storm' episode.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
How weird and otaku pandering, right?
They went so deep into that scene, it was clearly filled with dirty, sexual content!

Come on, seriously, I don't even like this series really, but it's just amusing what people can actually come up with in regards to it.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not complaining because I think it was sexual (to be quite honest I think that there's very little sexual stuff in this show). I'm complaining because it was stupid. Just another instance of 'that trope joke'.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I personally could do without the triplets. Well, I could do without them talking like that..

I'm somewhere in between. They're cute and all but the repeating words thing is kind of annoying. A friend of mine was complaining about how the only way to get promoted at his job was to be the boss' friend or family, citing stupid and annoying people who got high positions then saying "like that one triplet in Gen'ei Taiyou who just repeats the last word said. How the hell did SHE get that job if it wasn't family favourtism!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15