• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Less Cartoony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:58 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
1) Also, I can't think of ANY US animation studio that's made any serious drama the quality of Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, or Fullmetal Alchemist in history. But here we go. What about Bruce Timm's Justice League and Justice League Unlimited? That was very successful and has been running on Cartoon Network for quite a while. The DC animation universe has always been remarkably strong and given us good storytelling, and compelling characters. Especially through dark times such as Batman and Robin.

2) They've shown animated movies before. I think showing Batman, Roger Rabbit, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids is better than showing crap like Balto 2.

1) And yet Cartoon Network just canceled Justice League Unlimited. Therefore your arguement for the show just makes CN look even worse (and you're right about it being a great show, and therefore I'm right about CN's decline).

2) Yeah, but they have the rights to the entire libraries of both Dreamworks Animation AND Studio Ghibli. 2 of the greatest animation studios around today. They should be airing Shrek and Spirited Away instead of Honey I Shrunk The Kids and The Goonies. I'm sure that Oscar-winning animated movies from the past few years would get better ratings that obscure 30-year-old live-action movies that no one in the target audience of CN has even heard of.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:

1) And yet Cartoon Network just canceled Justice League Unlimited. Therefore your arguement for the show just makes CN look even worse (and you're right about it being a great show, and therefore I'm right about CN's decline).

They are cancelling after running it for over several seasons and giving the whole Justice League series well over 100 episodes. That's nothing to scoff at. A lot of network TV series don't even make it that far.

Quote:

2) Yeah, but they have the rights to the entire libraries of both Dreamworks Animation AND Studio Ghibli. 2 of the greatest animation studios around today. They should be airing Shrek and Spirited Away instead of Honey I Shrunk The Kids and The Goonies. I'm sure that Oscar-winning animated movies from the past few years would get better ratings that obscure 30-year-old live-action movies that no one in the target audience of CN has even heard of.

People know what the Goonies and Honey I Shrunk The Kids are. And they are not 30 year old movies. They are movies a lot of people grow up with and watch in their childhood.

This is the first I've heard of them having the rights to the libraries of Dreamworks Animation and Studio Ghibli. I'd imagine they would show that stuff if they could. But haven't they shown Spirit before? Isn't that Dreamworks animation?
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
[
People know what the Goonies and Honey I Shrunk The Kids are. And they are not 30 year old movies. They are movies a lot of people grow up with and watch in their childhood.

i guess i'm weird or too young, but i've never heard of the goonies until this news post
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:
[

i guess i'm weird or too young, but i've never heard of the goonies until this news post

If you are under age 28 then you have an excuse. The Goonies came out in 1985, the same year as Back to the Future. Here is the entry for The Goonies on IMDB.com.

The movie was about a group of kids who live on the coast of Oregon. They are about to get forced out of their homes if their parents can't come up with enough money to buy back their land from a real estate developer who wants to turn the neighborhood into a golf resort. They find a treasure map and go on a quest to locate the treasure of an infamous pirate named One Eyed Willie.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to go with the masses this time as I agree that this is a stupid decision by Cartoon Network. I can sort of understand Toon Disney airing Power Rangers. Disney has the rights to Saban and all of their shows, so they probably want to milk their titles for all their worth, and more people probably watch Toon Disney than the regular Disney Channel. I can sort of understand Cartoon Network airing Who Killed Roger Rabbit? It is an animated movie about cartoon characters, after all. I can sort of understand them airing Batman since it's a live-action movie based on a cartoon character, and I can even sort of understand airing Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, since it has those animated segments in it, but what I can't understand is them airing Jumanji.

Most of the other movies they aired at least have something "cartoony" related to them (I have no idea what The Goonies are), but what exactly is there in Jumanji that's anything cartoon related? It's stupid that Cartoon Network is even airing live-action movies to begin with. This network is called the CARTOON network, not the "Let's air a bunch of cartoons and a couple of live-action movies nobody cares about!" network. Don't we already have HBOFamily for that? I'm just glad I stopped watching Cartoon Network a long time ago. Anyway, I miss the good 'ol days of Cartoon Network when they used to show just cartoons. That's what was one of the things I liked about them, that and they only had one commercial break per show. I just hope this is only an expirement they're trying because it's the holidays and nobody would be home to watch any of their regular programming. I don't want to see a bunch of cheesy '80s movies being aired in place of more cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
1) They are cancelling after running it for over several seasons and giving the whole Justice League series well over 100 episodes. That's nothing to scoff at. A lot of network TV series don't even make it that far.

2)People know what the Goonies and Honey I Shrunk The Kids are. And they are not 30 year old movies. They are movies a lot of people grow up with and watch in their childhood.

1) Actually, Justice League only had 55 episodes. There's actually been more episodes made but for whatever dumb reason CN refuses to air them. They aren't even airing reruns. And any network who refuses to air their #1 show ratingswise must be a bit looney.

2) But not a lot of people who are in CN's target demographic of 6-11 year olds know about those movies, because they are pretty old. You could say "Well, they're good movies and we should expose kids to classics", but CN refuses to air any animated program from before 1998 that doesn't start with "Dragonball" and end with "Z". Therefore making CN seem more suspiscious.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:

1) Actually, Justice League only had 55 episodes. There's actually been more episodes made but for whatever dumb reason CN refuses to air them. They aren't even airing reruns. And any network who refuses to air their #1 show ratingswise must be a bit looney.

More like 55 episodes with 2 seasons alone. Along with 4 seasons of JLU, it will be like 100 episodes. So bleh Razz .

Quote:

2) But not a lot of people who are in CN's target demographic of 6-11 year olds know about those movies, because they are pretty old. You could say "Well, they're good movies and we should expose kids to classics", but CN refuses to air any animated program from before 1998 that doesn't start with "Dragonball" and end with "Z". Therefore making CN seem more suspiscious.

Yes they do. Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, and Johnny Bravo all started pre-1998. Original shows.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Mugen The Great wrote:

1) More like 55 episodes with 2 seasons alone. Along with 4 seasons of JLU, it will be like 100 episodes. So bleh Razz .

Quote:

2) Yes they do. Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, and Johnny Bravo all started pre-1998. Original shows.

1) But JLU isn't getting a fourth season and the 3rd season isn't even airing in America. We aren't even getting reruns or a decent DVD release.

2) PPG did start in 1998 and Dexters Lab and Johnny Bravo aren't even being aired on CN (although Dexter is now on Boomerang, which just adds to the fact that CN thinks its "old"). I fully expect PPG to move to Boomerang sometime next year if CN doesn't get their act together.
Jmanunknown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:

1) But JLU isn't getting a fourth season and the 3rd season isn't even airing in America. We aren't even getting reruns or a decent DVD release.

Cartoon Network will start airing the last nine episodes of 3rd season of Justice League Unlimited Febuary 11th at 8:30 PM EST during the Toonami block.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7