• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Silver Spoon (TV) (both Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And I've never seen one like that, with hills and a loooong track. I'm kind of surprised they do horse pulls at all in Japan, but I wonder if it's anything like what was shown.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ban'ei
Well, the all-knowing Wikipedia corroborates the hills, at the very least. And the stopping in the middle of the race.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote
I found Pig Sensei to be kinda hot.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And I've never seen one like that, with hills and a loooong track. I'm kind of surprised they do horse pulls at all in Japan, but I wonder if it's anything like what was shown.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ban'ei
Well, the all-knowing Wikipedia corroborates the hills, at the very least. And the stopping in the middle of the race.

So does this mean we'll have to edit the Wiki to include the show as a "cultural reference"? Or will the Wiki-editors smack us down for that?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the link! I kinda figured they didn't make it up (they've been pretty spot on so far), but I wondered how much they embellished it.

Compared to American and European horse pulls, they've kind of turned it into a Sasuke course. Also, I'm tickled by the idea of naming a draft horse Super Pegasus. Smile
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode.

Regarding the horse event, I saw something like this once. There were more events involved but the horses did have to pull the rider and a weighted sleigh around a course which included hills (in the snow no less). I worked at the exhibition centre where it was going on to make some xmas money and this was a pretty big event for people into horses and stuff.

The pig part taught me a lot I didn't know about pigs. I always try to hold off on this show until after my supper but I got anxious and didn't want to wait. Pig episode on a night I'm having rosemary pork chops. They're already unthawed so maybe I can cook them and warm them up tomorrow and just eat something else tonight. I feel so bad for Butaro.

Also, I agree with Blood-
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 was really good and to be honest I almost got a little teary (again) when they went through the explanations of having to kill livestock, etc.

Butadon is so cute~! Looking forward to see the rest of that story animated.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Episode 3 was really good and to be honest I almost got a little teary (again) when they went through the explanations of having to kill livestock, etc.

You should check out how they do the deed, there is this particularly funny interesting English reality show that gets people from various niches to go through the meat making process. The best reactions are the ones from the vegans.

I wonder if they do the electricity to the head of cows to create brain death in Japan? I do wish that I recalled how pigs were done.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
Oh God, I just got so hungry during after seeing all that spoiler[cheese, toppings, and other ingredients on the pizzas] from the latest episode. Might order spoiler[pizza] the next few days...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
@ Stark700 - I felt the exact same way. Made the mistake of watching the eppie just before dinner. Anyway, I love how they can take a simple idea like spoiler[making pizza] and stretch it out into an entertaining show. This is definitely a very relaxing, chill title to watch.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Made the mistake of watching the eppie just before dinner.

Same here. Gah.

I was really surprised they didn't just make some mozzarella. It's really fast and easy and you don't need to age it. I'm a little skeptical of gouda on pizza, but I like Swiss over the outer crust, so probably just about any cheese will suffice. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I have made spoiler[pizza in the past, well we used flatbread then, but used flour to make other things] so it evens out. Regardless, making something yourself like that can feel great so you can see what their reactions mean, especially since they have been spoiler[eating so basically]. Hachicken seems to be coming along well.

They spoiler[blackmailed] the teacher. Laughing
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 4
Oh God, I just got so hungry during after seeing all that spoiler[cheese, toppings, and other ingredients on the pizzas] from the latest episode. Might order spoiler[pizza] the next few days...

This must have been a universal reaction. I was already preparing dinner but was almost read to scrap it for another day and order pizza. I think it will be on my menu within the next few days as well.

I really enjoy this show over all so far.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
From all I've heard from friends in Japan, they suck at pizza.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If you're used to American pizza then yeah, Japanese pizza is... interesting...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If you're used to American pizza then yeah, Japanese pizza is... interesting...

I am curious to what "interesting" means. Are the toppings like crazier than pineapple? (I use the linked example due to pineapple being most popular toppings in my country) Smile

Man I just made the mistake of thinking of pizza and looking up pictures of it. Wait, I actually had pizza for dinner. *leaves to grab the tiny remaining slice of pizza that is now cold and hard.* Do people consider BBQ sauce strange on pizza?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12