• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Counting Fairies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
With the Evangelion re-release, I genuinely think there's a good reason to buy the series again, because not only has the audio been upgraded, but the video has been remastered as well. With Bebop, it's just the audio. The release itself is so unimpressive that I put it in Rental as a means to say that I don't think the disc merits buying, unless you don't currently own it.

The review already tells people what they need to know when it comes to deciding whether or not to buy it-- that it's the same as the original release, only with 5.1 audio. So, based on that alone, people should be able to decide whether or not they think it's worth it.

Now, I thought all along that the video had been remastered as well. This is the first I've heard of it not being improved, and if that's true, it's disappointing. Are you sure it's not improved, since the DVD info in the Encyclopedia says "completely re-mastered and remixed in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound!" That says to me that the video is remastered and the sound is remixed. Could I have a final clarification here?

Also, a remixed soundtrack for Bebop would be reason enough, in my opinion, to buy it again, but I'm an audio nut, so meh.

Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Quote:
a Stargate-type apparatus behind his school

"NO! It is ze FARGATE!"
\

Yes. Oh, sweet sweet yes. Laughing
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
"completely re-mastered and remixed in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound!" That says to me that the video is remastered and the sound is remixed. Could I have a final clarification here?

It means that the audio has been remastered and remixed. A remaster doesnt nessecerally mean that the video has been improved in any way what-so-ever, just that the masters have been redone, be it simply copied over from one place to another. However, there's been a general notion that remastering is a good thing and that it's ALWAYS a benefit, so hey, why not advertise it as that! Rolling Eyes
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
Related Items: Maybe it’s the setting, or maybe it’s the sweet blonde girls, but [Grenadier] really made me want to go watch Scrapped Princess. For more gun-toting babe action though, check out one of my favorites, Mezzo.

I have to take some issue with comparing this show to Scrapped Princess, but I can turn down the fanboy rage and let it slide Cool

Boy, at the rate DearS is "dearteriorating," I'm tempted to do a little hard drive cleaning and not waste my time watching it.
Juniper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Boy, at the rate DearS is "dearteriorating," I'm tempted to do a little hard drive cleaning and not waste my time watching it.

*eyeroll* If you're already stealing it, you may as well watch it. What's the point of deciding to not support a release when either way, you're not giving them any of your money? And if the show was good? You'd not support them anyway, but cheer yourself by watching the fansubs? Not nice.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Starwind Armada wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

How come nobody declares Bebop to be ripping off OS, what with having Ed?

Because Bebop came out in '98, whereas OS came out in '99.

Oops! Then I suppose I should have phrased it in the reverse. Though the closeness of the releases actually proves my point: nobody's copying off of anybody in specific if they use a Young Genius in their cast, as it's already a common archetype, especially in SF (Wesley Crusher, anyone?).

kopiikat wrote:
While I see what you're saying about Firefly and Bebop not being the same, I have to disagree slightly. Of course, there are many differences, some of the major ones being that there are many more characters in Firefly and they all depend on one another more than the characters in Bebop did, that the goals of the characters and their driving forces are (mostly) different, and that their actual jobs are also different, but there are many similarities as well.

There are a number of "tortured souls" in both, they are both able to be funny and serious without using many overdone cliches, and, as you mentioned, many of the archetypes used are similar. Also, the crews are similar in that they both make their own rules and follow their own moral codes, yet the viewer can easily identify with them. You also can't ignore the fact that they also both have dreary, yet homey and loveable, ships as their home base. What I'm basically saying is, the atmospheres of the two series overlap, and the quality is similar, and that, because of that, a person who likes one will most likely like (or, at least, respect,) the other. That is why I, at least, tend to compare them, especially when recommending one to someone who has seen the other.

All true, though my annoyance lay mostly with people who said it copied directly off of Outlaw Star, which was the actual show that was airing at the same time, and the person who said Bebop was better because "it didn't take itself seriously". Which come to think of it, is bull not just because it's saying it's "better" based on something that is entirely a matter of opinion, but because while it also poked fun at itself, Bebop DID sometimes take itself seriously. Smile

And I am in NO way dissing CB OR Outlaw Star. I enjoyed OS when it was on the air and to this day still adore Bebop. Wink I think I like the genre as a whole, to be honest. There's so many different ways to pull it off well.

Zac wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

FIREFLY RRAAAGGGHH

The whole "Firefly is a ripoff of Outlaw Star" discussion ended years ago, feel free to let it go anytime you like.

Oh, forgive me Holy One, for not A.) "letting it go" when this is actually the FIRST time I've ever even brought it up AT ALL on indeed ANY forum whatsoever (no. Seriously, it is.), and then ONLY because something in the thread reminded me of it (remind me to watch that show that had the Stargate ripoffish bit in it, since apparently talking about PAST shows is suddenly forbidden now), or B.) either keeping track of OR remembering discussions that as you said, happened "years ago", and that as a matter of fact, likely happened before I joined here or posted here (never having seen them, I wouldn't know, now would I?).

Also, you act as if I'm OMG THE RABIDEST FAN EVER!!11 and your "let it go" comment implies to me somehow - this could be just me, though, but it reads like that to me and I apologize if I'm misinterpreting your tone - that you believe I've been an OMG OBSESSED FIREFLY OTAKU since it came out in... whenever the hell it came out. '02 I think. Anyway, while I do love Firefly (about as much as Bebop when it came out on TV, and slightly less than Sailor Moon when I was 14), I am a NEW fan, and only tried it out after several people on other forum whose tastes often mesh with mine said "What? Of course it's not an Outlaw Star ripoff. Why would you think that?" or otherwise just recommended it, and SciFi channel decided to air it as a promotion for the movie sequel thing. I'm also, while highly entertained with it and enjoying as I do with anything I remotely like and have extra cash to spend on, collecting a few things (DVDs, and one of those coffee table books with pretty pictures in it) relating to it, still not OMB OBSESSED. The only show I was ever obsessed with at all was Sailor Moon, and that was years and years ago and then only because of the nostalgia factor (my first anime AND manga. I still think of it rather fondly for that alone Smile ). That, and I was something like 13 at the time.

I do tend to ramble (ugh, I'm doing it even now, aren't I), for which I apologize. However, if you look at the actual post (as opposed to having a knee-jerk reaction of "mentioning Firefly at all even when it references something in the thread, and then rambling a bit = automatically an obsessive fangirl rant", and choosing to trivialize it... seriously, either quote it or don't quote it. Going "Firefly RARRRGH!" and using the World's Most Annoying and Intentionally Snotty Smiley is just plain immature, and I'm saddened to think that ANN's Editors wouldn't have slightly more maturity than that).

In short: I was only talking to another poster about something they said and bringing up what I figured was a good example of what they were complaining about, going into a bit of rambling detail about why it fit the bill in that case, and expressing a bit of my annoyance at having never given the apparently Now-Unmentionable Within Earshot of Any Anime Fan show a chance the first time around due to a handful of fellow Outlaw Star fans on a DIFFERENT anime forum from this one misleading people based on very little actual evidence. There's no need to get snippy about it, especially since really, it wasn't even a rant so much as an overly long, rambling analysis inspired by a single on-topic comment that I happened to agree with.

I'm starting to wonder if you're not a woman, Zac, because I could swear you PMS at times... kidding, kidding, and I mean NO actual disrespect, let alone gender-based (since I also have no idea if you're male or female - I think male, if you're the same guy who does Answerman, but this could be a faulty memory on my part and if so, I apologize - but I try not to assume gender online ever since I got two people thinking that despite my feminine username, I was a guy Wink ) - please understand that much - but one wonders why you would let that post bother you so much, when there really wasn't anything offensive in it, and it was related to something that someone said that was actually on-topic. Question

On a side note, I also have to wonder why you felt the rather perplexing need to attempt to trivialize me and/or my statements in public as opposed to PMing me about it. Especially when at least two other posters responded, and most certainly not in anything that could be considered a flame war (and I wouldn't have expected a flame war, either, as I said nothing to cause one, I should think). I'm not offended of course - it was too immature to be all that offending, actually - just simply perplexed. Question

On another, slightly more on-topic side note: I am SO tempted now to write to Anime Insider about that whole "vs" thing they do (do they still do that? I don't always get a copy of it, and haven't for a while I think) and ask them to pit somebody from Black Gate against somebody from Stargate. Or maybe just "Stargate as anime", in the other feature they do, the "If It Were Anime" thing. Man, now I want to read a copy of Anime Insider again. Curse my lack of funds or time to go to Barnes & Noble. Laughing

On another side note... I'm seriously wishing I knew what melon bread tasted like now. Lord knows it's cute looking.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:

-Andromeda

I just said "let it go", Andromeda. Crikey.

I wasn't insulting you or your honor or your viewpoint. I just said that maybe it was time to let it go.

That's it.

Chill, man.

I wasn't trying to piss you off.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
Poster's Note: Unless it's ALL CAPS'D LIKE THIS or has an exclamation point, please regard the tone as neutral. Apparently, my time posting almost exclusively on Godawful Fan Fiction has made the more reasonable demeanor I gained there paradoxically come off as more pissy. *still perplexed by that*

Zac wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

-Andromeda

I just said "let it go", Andromeda. Crikey.

I wasn't insulting you or your honor or your viewpoint. I just said that maybe it was time to let it go.

Aaaand he says this even as he uses the same World's Most Condescending Smiley. Again. You know, even when I AGREE that a person's actual comments aren't worth addressing, I've never approved of using that smiley? Even with idiots who can't even read the little subtitle below a headline and therefore make silly assumptions (the "ADV Closes Offices" [for the weekend due to Rita, which they would have known had they looked RIGHT under the headline/link Laughing ] story comes to mind). It's an awful cheap way of addressing another person.

Now, I wasn't at all "pissed", contrary to what you may believe - I can't see how I could come off as actually outright "pissed", really, though I apologize if it somehow seemed like I was (then again, perhaps our definitions of "pissed" are different, as "mild annoyance" or "somewhat mildly offended at between trivialized by one of the site's actual Editors no less" does not in my vocabularly equate "pissed". In my mind, "pissed" is The Bride in Kill Bill, only maybe without the actually wanting to kill people in the literal sense part Wink ).

But I find it, again, rather perplexing and even a bit hypocritical that you say "I wasn't insulting you", while you still continue to use that same smiley to trivialize (and that IS what it does) every single word I say. It is somewhat hard to believe you as you say "I wasn't insulting you or your viewpoint" when at the same time, as opposed to simply saying "Andromeda: [comment]", you AGAIN use a smiley that - and I refuse to believe you aren't intelligent enough or perceptive enough to realize this - gives the very definite impression of "your words have no meaning to me, and I refuse to take you seriously in the least".

That's something that's always bugged me; if you're going to respond to something, let alone express the opinion that "I think we've all heard this argument before, would you mind not bringing it up again?", you should at least try to respond as maturely as possible. That smiley does not ever seem "mature" to me, or even appropriate in cases where the person you're mocking (and that IS what it does) actually deserves being poked fun at.

Believe it or not, that is the only part of any of your posts directed at me that I find in the least bit "offensive", because again, the only message it sends to me or anyone else reading it is:

"Your words have no meaning"

I can even understand not liking the idea of the Firefly/Outlaw Star debate being stirred, and you are of course free to express that opinion... but it's more than a little annoying to be "yadda yadda yadda"'d at, if you will. Again, if you're going to respond, please do so maturely. If you're going to quote anything, actually quote it. If not, a simple "Andromeda:" at the beginning of any comment directed at me would surely suffice?

Quote:

That's it.

Chill, man.

You do realize I'm a woman, don't you? Wink

Quote:

I wasn't trying to piss you off.

Again... well, I won't ramble on and repeat myself any further, just *see above*.

I still find it hard to believe, though, that you don't consider that that smiley used in lieu of quotation could be potentially offensive or in the cases of a some of the more sensitive souls, even hurtful, to the original poster. Again, I can't believe you wouldn't be intelligent enough and perceptive enough to pick up on that. There's no way, surely, you could get where you are and NOT be smart enough to pick up on it. Confused

A man, when he says something, usually wants to be heard, and above all at least treated with a modicum of respect. A woman, when she says something, usually does not wish to be marginalized, and wishes to be treated with a modicum of respect. Either way, the smiley fails, especially in a thread where there is no flame war in occurence.

I only wished you realized that, Zac. Confused

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:

RRAAGGGH SMILEY RAGE

It's just an attempt to not summon the Quote Ziggurat when responding.

Why are you getting so upset? You and I disagree. No reason to get mad.

Last edited by Zac on Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
candeh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
Zac,

Thank you for using to prevent the emergence of a ridiculous quote ziggurat. I would hate to read that tangent essay again. The *overuse* of this kind of stuff is "annoying" and not worth reading twice. Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm still trying to see why people misconstrue words- the best thing to come out of SA, as a bad thing?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:51 am Reply with quote
Where was abunai's post? It was there before candeh's. Rolling Eyes

candeh wrote:
The *overuse* of this kind of stuff is "annoying" and not worth reading twice.

Can you elaborate on "this kind of stuff?" I got confused whether it was those smileys or long essays you were referring to.

Ziggurat. Hmm. Not a word often seen in a forum. Chance of seeing two different persons using this very word in the same thread is approaching zero.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
*looks at the flame above* ....Right. Yeah. (Btw, yes, where's abunai's post in which s/he asked Zac to treat people with at least half the respect they deserve? Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, re: the Gankutsuou's voice being done by a certain Shimai Shouta... where's this info coming from? None of the official sites list a voice actor for the Gankutsuou (in fact, they don't even list the role), and I don't remember ever seeing the role in the end credits.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Anyway, re: the Gankutsuou's voice being done by a certain Shimai Shouta... where's this info coming from?

Shimai Shouta?! Wha...what does that suppose to mean? A pair of underaged feminine boys?! Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Shimai Shouta?! Wha...what does that suppose to mean? A pair of underaged feminine boys?! Anime dazed

That was my first thought, too. xD (Now that would be something completely different...) But don't ask me, I didn't come up with it:
ananda wrote:
Well actually the French part was done by a Different VA and NOT the VA of the Count himself.
If you want you can visit this link and read it for yourself; it's the very last Post:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17545&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=15

I'm just curious where this comes from.
red stranger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
uhmmmm wrote:
Quote:
I will say this: if you haven’t bought this series yet, you really should.

That says to me that it really should be put in shelf-worthy, with a note in the review to people that have already bought it that it may not be worth it to them to rebuy it. Not the other way around.
Actually, I think that the Bebop Remixes were put in the right place. If you don't have a 5.1 ch sound system, and are buying Bebop for the first time, then there really is no reason to choose the Remixes over the original DVDs, unless you really want the new extras.

In fact the old DVDs have an advantage - you can buy all six immediatly, without waiting until next year to complete the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4