• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Movies on Turner Classics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
In any case, I'll say that I better not hear you whining about us whining about the edits done to these movies. We have the right to post whatever we feel and you can't tell us what to post. If you don't like what we post, guess what? DON'T FREAKING READ IT!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:
emory wrote:
It's highlighting his career, so they're also throwing in movies he had less of a hand in. Executive Producer is one of the lead positions in a project.
But Executive Producers usually don't have anything to do with the creative aspects of the film. In Hollywood films an Executive Producers often has very little to do with the film at all.

If they were really trying to highlight Miyazaki's work, as a opposed to just showing everything that Disney currently has ready to air, then where's Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro? He actually directed and wrote that, rather than just "excutive produced".

Aslso, regarding edits: Isn't it part of the Ghibli/Disney deal that the movies remain unedited? So I doubt that there will be any edits in these showings...
But didn't Miyazaki-san direct a littel bit of the Lupin the third second TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
People are actually expecting TCM, of all stations, to edit these films?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Yeah, because "ONOEZ TURNER = MIGUZI" or something stupid like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Yeah, because "ONOEZ TURNER = MIGUZI" or something stupid like that.

:snicker:

Still, it is very hard for Americans to trust their TV broadcasters in general, when the norm on almost all non-subscription channels is to edit movies and TV shows down for reasons spanning from content to making more time for commercials Mad .

Turner Classic Movies is a major exception to the rule, however. It's one of the last cable basic channels that doesn't run commercials and airs movies without cuts for the most part. I can't say they never cut films because I'm not sure about that but I believe they almost never do it and the Miyazaki films won't be the rare exception IMO.

Side notes - AMC actually went to commercials several years ago, while the Wizard of Oz commercial cutting frenzy debacal, where they put in so many commercial breaks in the airing that they literally stuck a commercial break in between the films end and the credits (which are less than a minutes at the end of the film), was on TNT (Turner Network Television) not TCM (TNT has always been a commercial network).
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
so far there hasn't been a single edit. no commercials either.

is it just me? or is the Mononoke Hime dub absolutely atrocious.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so far there hasn't been a single edit. no commercials either.

is it just me? or is the Mononoke Hime dub absolutely atrocious.

I vowed a long time ago that I'd never watch that movie dubbed again.
Silvercat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/TCMCFA/feedback.jsp?faqID=00000000000000000000000000000013&action=answer&qID=topTen&topicID=00000000000000000000000000000049

To send postal mail to Turner Classic Movies, please address it to:

Turner Classic Movies
Viewer Relations
1050 Techwood Drive NW
Atlanta, GA 30318

After watching the first showing yesterday, I am going to write a letter an snail mail it to TCM and say how much I appreciate them showing these movies and how much I love that they showed the Dubbed and Subbed, uncut and commercial free.

If you think this is a good idea, write! Your one snail mail represents more than you and will help bring more of this kind of thing to TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Slightly off topic, but you should know that for the record, I have always known that TCM was commercial free. I just felt that that didn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't edit these films. After all, from an unenlightened, uninitiated mainstream (as opposed to an informed fan) standpoint, the films are "animated" and are from "Japan", and the mianstream viewers likely wouldn't care who Studio "Jee-blee" is, or who "Ha-yei-o My-a-zakee" is. There is also the issue of TCM (Turner Classic Movies) being owned by the same people the who own the (now, not entirely) Cartoon Network, which I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, I didn't watch "Mononoke Hime" or "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi", but only because these particular films weren't of particular interest to me (I had seen Spirited Away in the theater, but I just wasn't interested this time). I do however, plan to watch the ones that DO interest me.
AgentTofu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
A nice surprise. Funny how much easier it is to have the family watch on movie when it is randomly playing on TV than to have them startup a DVD.

Castle in the Sky next week! Woo!
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
But didn't Miyazaki-san direct a littel bit of the Lupin the third second TV series.

He directed a large portion of the 1st TV series. He only wrote and directed two episodes in the 2nd TV series, episodes 145 and 155.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Shi-ne wrote:
Does TCM show films uncut and commercial free?

i believe they do. AMC does it.

Yes, but TCM is still a commecial-free channel... for now. So its a straight run, no commercials.

Unlike my once beloved AMC.

How they hath forsaken me.... Crying or Very sad
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I loved how they showed both subbed and dubbed. No commercials either. I can't wait for next Thursday!

Hika Yagami
lvirden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Note that Only Yesterday is being shown only subtitled - no plans to release the DVD in the US have been announced, as far as I am aware.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but here's the reason why Only Yesterday won't be on DVD:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102587/trivia
Quote:
Although Walt Disney paid for the US distribution rights, executives later decided that they could not release Only Yesterday in the US because it contained references to menstruation (a clause in their distribution contract prohibited them from altering the scene to remove the references).

Can't they release this through Buena Vista, or are they too afraid of the soccer moms?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4