• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yami Shibai (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So far these are pretty awesome.

Can someone explain the 2nd episode? I didn't understand the ending.

It plays on the idea that spoiler[ending up in the hospital meant that he must have avoided death, but in the end it turned out that going to that hospital actually sealed his fate, even when he thought he was safe]. Various horror themes used were spoiler[being unable to move, small run down villages, ambiguity, and fate being out of your hands].
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I get the whole irony thing now. Thanks, guys.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Ep7 -

Now here's a great example of a good story that just wasn't told right. IMO it was too long or didn't use it's time properly. Though saying something that's about 2 minutes too long being too long is kind of strange. Or maybe I just wish the ending catch was different.

I'd say it's not the worst. Better than the train one for sure but nowhere near the level of the elevator.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Maybe it was that it tried to make itself go in two different directions at once in a way that felt stretched. But still I thought it was alright, spoiler[abandoned hospitals] have been the setting of some Lets Plays I have been watching lately, and I think that the spoiler[possession/invitation] thing was a neat trick. I like the whole spoiler[person scared turning out be the danger].
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
I do dig the spoiler["the one needing help is dangerous"] thing and abandoned hospitals are high on my list of horror locations (by extension, Asylums too).

Likely my favourite horror hospitals in videogames are Desolate Hospital and of course the core Silent Hill games.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
8 and 9 were both ok but not great. I absolutely loved the spoiler[salt burning] in ep 8. That was a really cool idea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote
They weren't really that much for me. Although 8 was in general good, especially the end, good job Yami Shibai.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for spoiler[Kotone] during episode 9 ;.; with that ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep10

Worst episode ever. The writers must've been out taking a dump when they concocted this smell turd of an episode. spoiler[That Ghoulie sure holds a grudge, though who could blame him living in a place like that.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Nearly every episode in this show has a final scene that makes you go "oh snap".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The whole "the horror never ends" thing is really big in asian horror. For a long time western horror stuck to the "definite happy ending... until next time." thing but they've gotten away from it in recent years, likely due to the upswing in popularity of asian horror in the west.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

While I will agree that it was not as great as some of them, there was kind of a good choice. I for one have felt the fear of spoiler[falling into a toilet, something coming out of a toilet, and in general shitty bathrooms].

The episode kind of reminded me of Majora's Mask, that game had quite a bit of creepy parts. The episode was named The Moon, and considering what the monster was.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
One of my past bathrooms was hallway-shaped, a type where you open the door and the toilet is at the end straight ahead of you. I had a dream that it lifted off the ground and flew into me, hitting me square in the knees. It broke my kneecaps, causing me to fall forward head first into it. It was full of every disgusting thing you could think of and I couldn't get out no matter how hard I pulled and was suffocating in the disgusting sludge.

Still no jerking reaction from the episode. LOL
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well ep11 wasn't bad. It reminded me of an old movie I can't identify.

spoiler[There was a painting that a crooked guy was looking at and it gradually changed as he was looking at it, showing the cemetary near his mansion, a grave being dug up, a coffin opening, the original owner sauntering up to the door, and then he heard knocking at the door.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 12 - 13 (finale)

I missed the previous week and ended up watching the last two really late at night. I realized quickly that maybe it was not too hot a decision and ended up grabbing my blanket for comfort. Even in the increasing heat I felt chills.

A great use of minimal animation for this series, it is something I will recommend for horror. Also they decided how to spoiler[pull a fast one on us, the last scare of the series actually being strangely fluid that it scares you for how different it is, like actual movement].

A rating, I give it an anime rating of Good, worth seeing it is indeed. Make sure you watch it alone in the dark and try not to wet yourself. In terms of horror this was one of the best anime has to offer, a masterpiece of atmosphere. Now excuse me while I work up the courage to go to the bathroom.

EDIT: An update, I managed it, but kept looking over my shoulder and had the poor decision to think of a horror movie before being my room with lamp and blanket. I don't think Yami Shibai had possessed dolls, it had enough things that I will try to never think about in the middle of the night again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2