• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big GIANT Halloween Contest Winners Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WEKS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Holy chipmunk! How the hell can you carve like that!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote

(remembering his experience with the big spoon and the Pumpkin Cutter™)

What the hell... Are you guys carving these things with lazers or something?? Shocked
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:

Though another question on my mind is are the pumpkins in that paradise kiss picture the fake pumpkins? And again, I'm not trying to degrade the carving, but I'm just wondering how he got the pumpkin to shine so brightly through the skin. No matter how thin I got my pumpkin, theres no way the skinned part would glow like that.

Long exposure camera shot. When I did my (terrible) Kakurenbo pumpkin that I posted in SL, I really, really thinned out my pumpkin and put a really bright flame inside the pumpkin. Then by setting the camera to take a long exposure shot, it ended up glowing really bright.

As for the Hellsing pumpkin, there are parts of the panels where the marker was used to differentiate between "black" and "brown," but those were just aesthetic. Everything else is shaved out, and the resemblance to the actal Hellsing artwork is remarkable. Even without the paint, the detail on the carving still would've been killer.

The editorial staff spent AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES deciding the winners. There's actually several pumpkins that we tore our hair out over, but we eventually decided on the ones we did after literally hours of arguing.

Man, I was friggin blown away every time another pumpkin picture popped up in my inbox. I was expecting some kickin' pumpkins, but I wasn't expecting so many of such jawdropping caliber. We'll definitely do this again next year.
Michael_Hearn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I want to know what kind of tools everyone used. I used a simple pumpkin carving set from my local WallyWorld. Is there something better to use out there?
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Michael_Hearn....Want to know what I used? I used wood carving tools for my pumpkin. ^___^ And yes, I am the one responsible for the winning Hellsing pumpkin, and no.. I didn't use a stencil of any kind for it, I drew it on free hand with a dry erase marker and carved out what I needed to. I found the dryerase marker tip on-line at a pumpkin carving site. It really did come in handy because when you are done, you just erase it off! Although.. unfortunately, while I was carving... alot of my lines would come off on my hand!! So... I'd have to go back and draw things over... It was a pain....... .. . But well worth it! This was a great contest!! I'm glad anime news network held it!!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Beni_Hime wrote:
Michael_Hearn....Want to know what I used? I used wood carving tools for my pumpkin. ^___^ And yes, I am the one responsible for the winning Hellsing pumpkin, and no.. I didn't use a stencil of any kind for it, I drew it on free hand with a dry erase marker and carved out what I needed to. I found the dryerase marker tip on-line at a pumpkin carving site. It really did come in handy because when you are done, you just erase it off! Although.. unfortunately, while I was carving... alot of my lines would come off on my hand!! So... I'd have to go back and draw things over... It was a pain....... .. . But well worth it! This was a great contest!! I'm glad anime news network held it!!

Well, I just have to compliment you on your amazing pumpkin. Enjoy those DVDs, they were well earned.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael_Hearn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Beni_Hime wrote:

Thank's Beni_Hime, I can see how those would come in handy for this. I'll try some next year. Good job!
Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Although the Hellsing winning pumpkin was beautiful, I'm with those who are uncomfortable with the idea of it winning first place. Part of the big challenge of carving is the fact that there is only so much contrast to work with. That's why mine took me so long, because I really worked at figuring out where the contrast would be. I'm not saying I should have won, not by a long shot... but there were many pumpkins that I thought deserved the trophy a little more, because they were not only outstanding but because the effect was purely carved.

but maybe that's just me. As gorgeous as it was, it somehow doesn't impress me as much as the Paradise Kiss one for example. Confused (no offense)

Anyway, I do hope you hold this contest again next year! I had a lot of fun, I really loved my pumpkin and it was sad for me to throw him out when he began to cave Sad But it was awesome to go back to the olden days of carving. Made me feel like a little kid again Anime smile
Juniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
Although the Hellsing winning pumpkin was beautiful, I'm with those who are uncomfortable with the idea of it winning first place.

I think a lot of you are missing the big picture, and are focusing way too much on the black marker/paint. Ignore the black marker, and just focus on how it was carved. The detail that was carved, the parts that were shaved, were *incredible*. All of the black could've been done without, and it still would've been amazing. There would've been less contrast, but the pumpkin wouldn't have been any less remarkable. I mean, every part of that pumpkin that wasn't black was shaved. When you look at the parts where only thin lines of pumpkin skin were left (like on the lips and eyes), then you can really see how talented the carver was.

Anyone who has ever shaved out a pumpkin knows that it is VERY hard to leave smooth unshaved lines, *especially* when you have your pumpkin so thin to let out the light that any misslip would take out an entire chunk of skin. I know, because I've botched many a pumpkin in my life trying to shave it, and completely ruining the entire thing.

There were a lot of really gorgeous pumpkins, but I think I agree with ANN's placing of the first and second place. Very Happy Besides, next year, more people can use black paint to even the playing field. It's a learning experience anyway.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
C.L. Vandiver's pumpkins were awesome! Holy crap. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Shocked

I'm rather fond of the Jon-Roh one as well, if only because it's a dead ringer for part of the DVD cover.

Tareeda Boonyawatana's pumpkins are right up there with Vandiver's though. Wowness. Espcially Stitch - so cute!

Meiwren's Alphonse Elric is lovely too, though.

This makes me so jealous. Being that I live in Florida, we can never get pumpkins to last until Halloween. Sad

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Strategos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Long exposure camera shot.

Bingo. Even the slightest nick in a pumpkin when using those pumpkin candles they sell with a long exposure shot (say, 10 seconds) will shine brightly.
Juniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah, one more thing.

A lot of professional pumpkin carvers have moved on to using markers for contrast, like the one featured in this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39-2004Oct26.html

At first, when people started shaving pumpkins, people thought that was ingenius, because it made the pumpkins that much more like a picture than a plain jack-o-lantern, but then people started using marker for that extra contrast, and that added more "color" to a pumpkin. I'm looking forward to what all the pros will come up with next year.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out that complaining about who won a contest is often referred to as "Sour grapes" or "poor sportsmanship".

Be nice, folks.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Want more chances to win more stuff (guaranteed at an equal-ish monetary value)?

Here's a secret leak:

In July, we'll be having a watermelon carving contest.

Same rules apply: one picture with the ANN sign and any other shot you want to provide. Oh, and it has to be edible afterwards, so no markers, and no using food-dye on the inside.

Why am I saying this now?

Just in case anyone gets bored between now and July and wants to start honing their skills, since we won't give you the theme until July.

Not watermelon lanterns, mind you, watermelon carvings. What are we looking for? Look here for inspiration. Very Happy

http://takashi64.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page009.html
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Want more chances to win more stuff (guaranteed at an equal-ish monetary value)?

Here's a secret leak:

In July, we'll be having a watermelon carving contest.

Same rules apply: one picture with the ANN sign and any other shot you want to provide. Oh, and it has to be edible afterwards, so no markers, and no using food-dye on the inside.

Why am I saying this now?

Just in case anyone gets bored between now and July and wants to start honing their skills, since we won't give you the theme until July.

Not watermelon lanterns, mind you, watermelon carvings. What are we looking for? Look here for inspiration. :D

http://takashi64.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page009.html

Pardon my french, but holy shiz-nat, those are cool!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3