• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big GIANT Halloween Contest Winners Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I would like to point out that complaining about who won a contest is often referred to as "Sour grapes" or "poor sportsmanship".

Be nice, folks.

I'm not complaining. Nor am I being mean. I'm stating an opinion. I simply don't feel that marker is part of the pumpkin carving tradition. Neutral
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
In July, we'll be having a watermelon carving contest.

Same rules apply: one picture with the ANN sign and any other shot you want to provide. Oh, and it has to be edible afterwards, so no markers, and no using food-dye on the inside.

Why am I saying this now?

Just in case anyone gets bored between now and July and wants to start honing their skills, since we won't give you the theme until July.

Not watermelon lanterns, mind you, watermelon carvings. What are we looking for? Look here for inspiration. Very Happy

http://takashi64.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page009.html

Holy crap, now that looks fun. Guess I should get some ideas circulating now~

Best part is, I LOVE watermelon, so its not like all that pumpkin pulp that went to waste. I could be snacking, and attempting to carve a masterpiece simutaneously.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Want more chances to win more stuff (guaranteed at an equal-ish monetary value)?

Here's a secret leak:

Same rules apply: one picture with the ANN sign and any other shot you want to provide. Oh, and it has to be edible afterwards, so no markers, and no using food-dye on the inside.

Quick! Someone reference Scryed! Laughing

Or make a boob joke.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Want more chances to win more stuff (guaranteed at an equal-ish monetary value)?

Here's a secret leak:

Why am I saying this now?

Just in case anyone gets bored between now and July and wants to start honing their skills, since we won't give you the theme until July.

Not watermelon lanterns, mind you, watermelon carvings. What are we looking for? Look here for inspiration. Very Happy

http://takashi64.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page009.html

Wonder where I'll be in July...doesn't matter I doubt I'll be able to something that good witha watermellon. But my question is what about using food-dye outside of the melon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ceru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
Dude, I love this idea.
And you know what? Instead of the ANN hand written sign we should have pics of us eating our watermelons afterwards... Or would that be too gruesome?
Undead-man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
I wonder how will they come up with a contest which would be concerned on how slobby you eat your pumpkin/watermelon in cosplay then send your pic.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
Dude, I love this idea.
And you know what? Instead of the ANN hand written sign we should have pics of us eating our watermelons afterwards... Or would that be too gruesome?

That's a wonderful idea. Very Happy Haha, I like that idea much better.

remember love wrote:
Wonder where I'll be in July...doesn't matter I doubt I'll be able to something that good witha watermellon. But my question is what about using food-dye outside of the melon.

I didn't say anything about using food-dye on the outside. Wink But honestly, you'd have a damned hard time getting it to stay on uniformly, unless you mixed it with stuff, but that would all have to be edible too. Besides, you already have several colors to work with in the watermelon, so you shoudln't even have to use color-- and really, the only colors you could use that would show up are blue, black, purple, and brown, none of which complement the watermelon. ;p
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Ceru wrote:
Dude, I love this idea.

That's a wonderful idea. Very Happy Haha, I like that idea much better.

remember love wrote:

I didn't say anything about using food-dye on the outside. Wink But honestly, you'd have a damned hard time getting it to stay on uniformly, unless you mixed it with stuff, but that would all have to be edible too. Besides, you already have several colors to work with in the watermelon, so you shoudln't even have to use color-- and really, the only colors you could use that would show up are blue, black, purple, and brown, none of which complement the watermelon. ;p

Also depends on who early the watermelon was plucked it won't be as a dark green if it was picked lets say extremely early....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Or make a boob joke.

Something about melons, maybe?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Or make a boob joke.

- abunai

was that the joke? Sorry when it comes to me and humor we tend not to get along....so if that's the joke I don't get it.
Walkabout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
What happened to "Check back Wednesday evening for the randomly selected winner and the results of our Kakurenbo Hide & Seek Contest"?
Just curious...
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Walkabout wrote:
What happened to "Check back Wednesday evening for the randomly selected winner and the results of our Kakurenbo Hide & Seek Contest"?
Just curious...

Things change, delays happen, people foget, theories varies, and my personal favorite Homework got in the way. I'm sure they'll get to it as soon as they can... Have patience as master yoda would say. Then again I am curious to the hide and seek contest as well seeing that contest was before the carving contest though they both ended at the same.... is it hard working through all the entries to make sure nooone has entered twice? or Make sure people entered the right answer?
Walkabout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
(not accusingly)Now now, I was simply asking out of, shall we say, "wonderment."
But yeah, since it seems this job is being done by one person, I can only begin to imagine the time constraints this could cause...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
abunai wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Or make a boob joke.

- abunai

was that the joke? Sorry when it comes to me and humor we tend not to get along....so if that's the joke I don't get it.

That's quite all right. It wasn't very funny, and more of a meta-joke.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3